• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Farewell Otland

Codex NG

Recurrent Flamer
Solutions
Reaction score
I was in the middle of updating an npc system file for someone for an alternative currency when a question came to mind, why am I doing this?

Day after day I write or fix or update a script for someone, sometimes I write the same script more then once with very little variation within the same day/week.

When I arrived back here on otland my goal was to teach the importance of the lua language, show how setting some time aside to learn the core language, can make you a better scripter in any framework, to say the least my efforts have been in vain.

I am not the best scripter here on these forums but I do try..

With my p4 single core 40 gig hard drive and no sound card & my recently broken 1 button mouse and a lua interpreter (I only explained this because you don't need money or a high end system to learn to write code) I effortlessly write out scripts for you the community, in the beginning I would explain how the code worked or executed then as time progressed I realized not many of you could grasp the concepts (maybe I am terrible at explaining things) or just didn't give a shit.

I've been here for about 4 months in this time frame I've received about 4 or 5 pages of pm's people wanting me to fix scripts, join their project or simple chit-chat.

I never liked helping people in a pm because it stifles a community, when you post a problem in support the problem can be looked at through many eyes and you can come to more than one conclusion.
Plus it is a great way to learn things from others and someone in the near to distant future will run into a similar issue and it would be great to have a thread to reference.

Just like real life, in any community there are givers and there are takers, from my short stay here I've noticed a lot more people complaining about the community but not actually contributing anything to it to make it better.

Recently I have been butting heads with more and more people (@J.Dre @Sir Knighter etc..) arguing over petty childish shit and that is partly my fault, me being most likely one of the oldest members on this forum, I should know better and should really act my age (39) instead of my shoe size (13) .

This is not my 1st account here on these forums, I've been on and off since 2008.
Over the years I've contributed some scripts which are most likely still in use (or variations of) today.

Listing the accounts or script isn't whats important, (although if you want to know I will update this post with them), what is important is that I came back here with a different attitude, tried my best with good intentions and now I am leaving because I don't feel like I am reaching anyone and it is turning me into a least liked person.

I wish you all the best with your projects, I hope that you do at some point take the time to learn the core languages as it is something you can carry with you beyond these tfs walls.

Codex :)

Good luck in the future man. Sucks you're leaving.

ppl dont wanna learn, they just want spoonfed scripts for their servers.
true info.

babai :eek:

What im saying is people learn in a different way you may be on the same link and reading but you are understanding it different from each & other other person and it be awesome if we all got together in pm conversation and just create scripts together.

There is things in lua.cpp also easy to use but also there stuff you might not be useing right when your making the script. if you could post script lines in support and ask what does player:setdesintation actually suppose to and then keep posting that be awesome since there are lines that you may not use correctly.

There a couple people only in otland helping on support bored that i have saw and if anyone wants to team up in learning scripting together in a inbox conversation or maybe put it on chi chat bored again and have printer or one of these guys help best they can without telling us the script but telling us what is the line for as in a example.

I think it build a better community by doing this and have more script learners.

edited my post for a little more better understanding and not all scrounge up words together

Last edited:
Recently I have been butting heads with more and more people (@J.Dre @Sir Knighter etc..) arguing over petty childish shit and that is partly my fault, me being most likely one of the oldest members on this forum, I should know better and should really act my age (39) instead of my shoe size (13) .

This is not my 1st account here on these forums, I've been on and off since 2008.

Hmm, I'm surprised you mentioned me (again), even after all of this.

What happened between us, you started, by making a post in my thread weeks ago. From that moment forward, our contact had turned into some sort of debacle. Despite not being able to get to know you beyond our initial contact, I do appreciate the effort and time you gave to OtLand during your short life as user "Codex," whoever you are. However, you've done more harm than good to this community through constant arguments and debates with people, showing continuous disregard of their interests in light of your own, and have also spoon-fed noobies (e.g. handing out free scripts), which does not allow this community evolve, as they will never learn to be self-sufficient.

You do have the potential to be a very valuable member of this community. And I wish things would have turned out differently between us. If there's anything I've learned from our contact with each other, it's that we are unable to work together because you are not a team player. And that's perfectly fine. We are who we are.

With that said, good luck with your future endeavors, whatever username that may be. ;)

Last edited:
It's sad you going to leave, i enjoyed to have someone who helped me with the support on this forum.

Good luck mate, hope i see you again soon!

Thanks for helping me and the others of course. ;)

Ur a good man. See you soon, bro :p

Btw, Am I the only one who doesn't understand what dicemangs is trying to say? xD

... or maybe not but what im saying is that if you cant do it I think it not rude to ask in pm how to use it to anyone that know scripting and most likely I think it great to build a lua learning team as we learn together and put scripts together one might be up in par good and learning better then other but we also might get something accomplish also.

Here's a summary of what he said :p

It's simple
Write tutorials and stop spoonfeeding people

I was in the middle of updating an npc system file for someone for an alternative currency when a question came to mind, why am I doing this?

Day after day I write or fix or update a script for someone, sometimes I write the same script more then once with very little variation within the same day/week.

When I arrived back here on otland my goal was to teach the importance of the lua language, show how setting some time aside to learn the core language, can make you a better scripter in any framework, to say the least my efforts have been in vain.

I am not the best scripter here on these forums but I do try..

With my p4 single core 40 gig hard drive and no sound card & my recently broken 1 button mouse and a lua interpreter (I only explained this because you don't need money or a high end system to learn to write code) I effortlessly write out scripts for you the community, in the beginning I would explain how the code worked or executed then as time progressed I realized not many of you could grasp the concepts (maybe I am terrible at explaining things) or just didn't give a shit.

I've been here for about 4 months in this time frame I've received about 4 or 5 pages of pm's people wanting me to fix scripts, join their project or simple chit-chat.

I never liked helping people in a pm because it stifles a community, when you post a problem in support the problem can be looked at through many eyes and you can come to more than one conclusion.
Plus it is a great way to learn things from others and someone in the near to distant future will run into a similar issue and it would be great to have a thread to reference.

Just like real life, in any community there are givers and there are takers, from my short stay here I've noticed a lot more people complaining about the community but not actually contributing anything to it to make it better.

Over the years I've contributed some scripts which are most likely still in use (or variations of) today.

Listing the accounts or script isn't whats important, (although if you want to know I will update this post with them), what is important is that I came back here with a different attitude, tried my best with good intentions and now I am leaving because I don't feel like I am reaching anyone and it is turning me into a least liked person.

I wish you all the best with your projects, I hope that you do at some point take the time to learn the core languages as it is something you can carry with you beyond these tfs walls.

Codex :)
Love you baby girl <3 sorry we butt heads. Goodluck in your future ventures

Good Luck in your advance!

I don't personally know you, but sad to see one of the "good" guys leave. Maybe it would have been better to write tutorials and forcing people to learn than just handing out scripts. Giving it away wont teach them anything (most of them) as they just copy paste, test and then say "it worked thx" or "no work, pls fix?"

I just got an idéa. Maybe there should be some reward system for people helping others or contributing to OTland. Some sort of points. And if you get enough points you will get OTland premium or something similar? Special titles? Make people strave for it. Just an idéa, might work on some people.

Back