• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

fastest growing programming languages?

pick

• PHPava

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Objective C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SQL

• Android(Java)

• Ruby

• Javascript

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • C#

• C++

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • ActionScript

• Python

• C

• ASP.NET

• Flash

• Other

• Total voters

IMac

entrepreneur
Reaction score
take your pick. use statistics/charts some type of evidence to support your answer. if for some reason a language you think its growing fast is not on the list pick other and specify.

781-programming-skills-chart.png

Source: What is the Best Programming Language to Learn in 2013? - SitePoint

Last edited:
I would say, those languages are most used, but not 'growing'. Imho, that future is about such languages like Scala, clojure

I would say, those languages are most used, but not 'growing'. Imho, that future is about such languages like Scala, clojure

good point i heard Java is growing due to the fact that APPs are used by millions everyday and not to mentions everyone has a phone and uses apps for everything almost. why you think scala/clojure are growing?

Yea, i forgot about phones, android revolution... Indeed, its widely used =P However, last month I visited a java conference(honestly I don't know Java properly, just had free tickets, so why not) and the most discussed topic was that Scala is superior compared to Java and in nearby future they suggest to fully migrate to Scala. Personally, I think Scala is promising, but may fail to ever attract the crowd. A lot of the production use of Java today revolves around J2EE and I don't see these folks making the transition. But if we are speaking about future, I see more and more projects started in modern languages, you know, coding in some language which appeared 30 years ago(Objective C) and last release was ~5 years ago isn't a good way for such rapidly growing area.

781-programming-skills-change.png

Here we can see the growth in jobs demand for these languages.

Java has had a rough time recently due to massive media outcry about security issues. Due to this more and more people are looking to re-code their system to another language.
However Android java has increased due to the fact that android phones are selling really well. (at least for samsung).

When it comes to web developement, I can code pretty good in PHP and ASP.NET/C#. I personally wish that ASP.NET/C# (Which is basically microsofts version of PHP) falls into a hole and die.
This is probably not becoming true tho because of microsofts advertisement budget and good student system.
I hate ASP.NET/C# because when I code in it, it feels like a framework designed to remove coding creativity and enforces using shitty drag and drop and visual implementation. It does not challenge or stimulate my brain at all.
(But hey, they screwd up XNA. Who knows what stupid decitions microsoft intend to do in the future).

I'm a bit sad of the reduction of PHP jobs, but this may just be because there are tons of people who learn PHP due to its many advantages, and thus the jobs available is lessen.
Also ruby is going strong, which may also be why PHP is reduced a bit. Many people started to get tired of PHP, but I hope a framework like Laravel will bring some fire back into the game, their MVC model is pretty similar. :)

Never tried or checked out objective C, but apparently its a bit interesting. I might check into it later.
SQL - welp. Everybody should know this in and out. The only people who offers dedicated SQL jobs are probably big companies that needs to fine-tune and maintain their databases in an extraordinary fashion.

C/C++ will probably still stay strong for quite a while unless Objective C is able to challenge them in terms of performance.

Heard about actionscript, didnt interest me, didnt even bother to check it out. Looks like I did the right decition in that.

Jobs? Where?

This thread is asking a question that will differ based on the country or region.

Service jobs are growing globally, more so than ever before. I'd say web development and mobile computing/programming is growing the most, overall. Everyone loves those nasty fingerprints all over their devices, right? :p

Last edited:
Yea, i forgot about phones, android revolution... Indeed, its widely used =P However, last month I visited a java conference(honestly I don't know Java properly, just had free tickets, so why not) and the most discussed topic was that Scala is superior compared to Java and in nearby future they suggest to fully migrate to Scala. Personally, I think Scala is promising, but may fail to ever attract the crowd. A lot of the production use of Java today revolves around J2EE and I don't see these folks making the transition. But if we are speaking about future, I see more and more projects started in modern languages, you know, coding in some language which appeared 30 years ago(Objective C) and last release was ~5 years ago isn't a good way for such rapidly growing area.
Objective C recently started increasing, i think for right now the most promised are the ones that have JVM platform
781-programming-skills-change.png

Here we can see the growth in jobs demand for these languages.

Java has had a rough time recently due to massive media outcry about security issues. Due to this more and more people are looking to re-code their system to another language.
However Android java has increased due to the fact that android phones are selling really well. (at least for samsung).

When it comes to web developement, I can code pretty good in PHP and ASP.NET/C#. I personally wish that ASP.NET/C# (Which is basically microsofts version of PHP) falls into a hole and die.
This is probably not becoming true tho because of microsofts advertisement budget and good student system.
I hate ASP.NET/C# because when I code in it, it feels like a framework designed to remove coding creativity and enforces using shitty drag and drop and visual implementation. It does not challenge or stimulate my brain at all.
(But hey, they screwd up XNA. Who knows what stupid decitions microsoft intend to do in the future).

I'm a bit sad of the reduction of PHP jobs, but this may just be because there are tons of people who learn PHP due to its many advantages, and thus the jobs available is lessen.
Also ruby is going strong, which may also be why PHP is reduced a bit. Many people started to get tired of PHP, but I hope a framework like Laravel will bring some fire back into the game, their MVC model is pretty similar. :)

Never tried or checked out objective C, but apparently its a bit interesting. I might check into it later.
SQL - welp. Everybody should know this in and out. The only people who offers dedicated SQL jobs are probably big companies that needs to fine-tune and maintain their databases in an extraordinary fashion.

C/C++ will probably still stay strong for quite a while unless Objective C is able to challenge them in terms of performance.

Heard about actionscript, didnt interest me, didnt even bother to check it out. Looks like I did the right decition in that.
yea android is the main reason for Java still being widely used (J2EE) still C/C++ are good in terms of performance and still going strong i agree
Jobs? Where?

This thread is asking a question that will differ based on the country or region.

Service jobs are growing globally, more so than ever before. I'd say web development and mobile computing/programming is growing the most, overall. Everyone loves nasty fingerprints all over their devices. :p
im asking for overall all around the globe

kinda surprised ruby is more used than java.

Androide revolution got pushed by w8. since its a touch system and completly designed to be confortable on any devices this will push everything you script such things with(the languages) to the win in growth :D

Back