• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Final discussion thread needed about Pay-To-Win.

Nemphis

Veteran OT User
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a while and i decided to take my time and make a thread about this topic.
I have noticed that in most advertisement threads people are saying "this server is p2w" and why it is p2w, and the owner says no. But clearly it is.

First of all we must be very clear on a few things so we dont mix them together.

"Free-To-Play":
guess what. Its free to play. And in almost all cases in this category you can spend dollars in-game on items/outfits/boosts/poop.
( --- THIS IS CURRENTLY THE MAJORITY OF OPEN TIBIA SERVERS --- )
(To clarify even MORE: The game is free to play but you have the option to buy stuff with DOLLARS, If you want.)

Another example of this is todays Mobile-Games. You can perfectly well play the game for free and not spend a cent and you are still able to finish the game or compete with other players. But they make the game play so slow and you get frustrated so you spend Money to play the game with "normal speed". Not increased speed but normal speed. If you dont pay you more or less play at 25% speed of the game.)

"Pay-To-Play":
It's very easy, basically, you pay ONCE to play the game. You are not allowed to even log in to the actual game and try it Before you pay. This is basically the model of singel-player games, a couple of multi-player games and even MMO's. In the MMO section we for example have Guild Wars 2. Pay for the game once, and log in when ever the f you want.
Another one of these games is "Ark: Survival evolved". (maybe boring examples but meh.)
UNLESS the Product has a Demo.

"Demo's":
In the early Days, this was one way of advertising a game, even any Product outside of the gaming world. This is FREE-TO-PLAY. Try a small version of the game (far from full version) and then decide if you want to buy the game or not. A Demo is basically in the modern world a Movie trailer or even Music single-song-releases so people could listen to it for free, then decide if they want to buy the full CD or not. And yes, Cipsoft's game, Tibia free-account is a Demo (more or less. I say this because its also in the Free-To-Play section)
World of Warcraft has a demo aswell. They let you level up to 20, i Think, Before you need to buy the game and apply subscription to get further.

"Subscription":
This applies when you pay with REAL MONEY(sometimes in-game currency) to be able to play a game that is not FREE-TO-PLAY.
This also applies to other stuff in Life. Like Netflix, pay a few dollars to be able to legally stream Movies at home.

World of Warcraft is in this category, but also "Pay-To-Play" and "Demo's". It really can be mixed, huh?
World of warcraft is a Product that has to be bought. You must own a legal copy of the game. And when you do, in this case, you must also pay a subscription to Blizzard to even play the full game.

One day you could get a free Magazine in your mailbox.(real Life now). It is totally free. But is it really? No. Its a Demo. "Try this Product, and if you dont like it, tell us or we send Another one every single month and charge you Money for it. "

"Premium":
This is half a model Cipsoft use for Tibia. The first half is Free-To-Play and a Demo at the same time. And if you skipped those I will explain again for you what this means.
You register an account, create a character, download the game and log in FOR-FREE. You are able to play the game FOR FREE as long as you want. But this is one part of the advertisement. This is their Demo and Demo means not 100% of the game available. And what is Demo? "Try a small part of the game for free Before you decide if you want to buy it or leave it."
THIS IS NOT PAY-TO-WIN.

Premium is Cipsoft's Subscription. You pay dollar monthly to access the full game and all of its contents.

example:
If a Free-to-play Player and a Premium player meet in game, the only difference is that one player is paying for a full game and the other is not. The one that is not paying for the full game does not get all spells,, outfits, all area and zones and the possibility to level up at normal speed.
Example 2:

One player test a speed-run to level 100 as Free-Account player.
Next time the exact same player does a speed run to level 100 as a premium/Subscription account. Which one will go to 100 first? The one paying for the full game, obviously. This IS NOT PAY TO WIN.
You could say that premium is subscription in a way.

Ok so finally.
what is PAY-To-WIN or "pay-to-progress-faster-than-normal-intended-game-speed-than-those-who-did-not-pay-with-dollars"

Pay-to-win is NOT a game genre or its own "category" like the ones i've talked about. <---THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.
Pay-To-Win is cancer and is destroying the gaming Community.
the Pay-2-Win has been on the market for some time, but people are finally understanding that this is bad and they stop buying those games, and in result the big AAA-companies is going down the hill and the indie-games is growing faster than ever Before.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2. A perfect example for a p2w game.
The game itself is Pay-To-Play. Pay with dollars ONE time to get a copy of the game. Play when ever you want. Even months after purchase. But…...
They have a lot of in-game purchases that can be bought with in-game currency aswell as dollars.

Quote: "If you only play 2 hours per day, you can unlock everything in 6 years if you play every day."
Quote2: "or 5mins if you pay 2100$ :)"

or 4 hours a day for 3 years.
or 8 hours a day for 1.5 years.
or spend 2100 dollars.

THIS IS PAY TO WIN.

Yes you are able to get Everything the game has to offer if you dont spend Money. But todays AAA-Game-Developers makes sure that it feels impossible. WHat is the easy solution to even be able to enjoy the game? Wallet. Throw your credit card against the screen and voila. You saved yourself 6 years.

Conclusion:
Open Tibia is Free-To-Play. This also means that the majority of times they have shops or donation to get income for the server. Its not free to host a server, it cost money. This is totally fine, depending on what they are trying to sell and how they advertise it.

*When a shop includes outfits/spell animations/cosmetics/furniture it is NOT pay to win. This is donation shop. Why? You dont get any advantages in any way.
*When a shop includes weapons/armors/bonus spells/experience boost/skill boost/mounts/normal pots and similar stuff it IS PAY-TO-WIN.

Why? For the simple reason that with these items you spend DOLLARS on your character, in one way or Another advance the game above the normal intended game speed.

Also p2w doesnt Always mean the best sword with double in attack or one-shots. It could be a low level sword with extra damage for low levels.
A level 20 Knight can use "Dwarven Axe, atk: 31 def: 19+2. require level 20."
If the same Knight buys a weapon designed for shop purchase to make his Life easier. "Dwarven Axe: atk: 40 def 25. require level 20.", this is obviously pay-to-win. even if this atk:40 is looted somewhere else in the game.

I hope this make any sence to you guys.
Feel free to discuss or add something if i forgot anything important.
:::You are entitled to your own opinon. But your opinion could be f stupid and incorrect aswell:::

cheers.

so pay to win is always bad for the gaming? i mean the whole gaming community?

The pay to win strategy developers have these days offer less game for more profit.
Lets say you already bought a triple A game for 50 euros, but while playing the game it feels dull and utterly booring. Because there is no depths. Everything of value in the game that you are after they take down in bits, piece by piece that you have to buy with Micro-transaktions.

the Revenue for a game is not the game, its the microtransactions that should already be included in the game itself when you buy it the first time.

I appreciate you making this thread and clarifying the differences because I, too, have been annoyed at all of the complaining and uninformed members. However, you must also consider that Tibia (or Open Tibia) is a game targeting kids and teenagers. That's why there's so much arguing, complaining, bashing, spam, etc.

Back