• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

First look judgement - Judging a book by its cover

jonasu

Solutions
Reaction score
You find a new server and get on the webpage, what makes you decide if you want to play or not?
Anything in perticular you look for when deciding if a server is good enough to play or not.

I'm trying to attract more players and feel like something is missing even though I'm confident in the server itself.

Default crappy tibia copy webpage, lose points.

I can't find a minimap or some sort of map, also lose points.

Also lose points if I can't find information regarding basic server mechanics (if RL map what sort of custom content it have, frag information, server rates), if custom, basic lore and gameplay elements.

Well just visited the webpage you have in your signature, i'm assuming that's your server. Even though I don't play Tibia since a long time, one thing that I would like to see when I get into a website for a game (specially a private server, which is trying to mirror another game) is what makes it special? What can I find here that's not in the original game or other servers?

From the moment I loaded your website, even though it looks really nice, the first thing I noticed was: Okay, same layout as official game. News? Update.
Something nice you can do is to make a short video (no longer than 2 minutes) that always stays at the top of the website, so anyone that visits that doesn't have a clue what is good about your server can get a quick peek of all the features you have that others don't, what makes it stand out, what is new/exciting about it.

Default crappy tibia copy webpage, lose points.

I can't find a minimap or some sort of map, also lose points.

Also lose points if I can't find information regarding basic server mechanics (if RL map what sort of custom content it have, frag information, server rates), if custom, basic lore and gameplay elements.
Thank you! I have already done an export of the map but deciding against using it. Perhaps I should reconsider.
At first I used another template for the page, perhaps i should rework it and bring it back. Regarding the custom content and other information; I will try to find a nice way to bring it forward in a more apparent way.
Well just visited the webpage you have in your signature, i'm assuming that's your server. Even though I don't play Tibia since a long time, one thing that I would like to see when I get into a website for a game (specially a private server, which is trying to mirror another game) is what makes it special? What can I find here that's not in the original game or other servers?

From the moment I loaded your website, even though it looks really nice, the first thing I noticed was: Okay, same layout as official game. News? Update.
Something nice you can do is to make a short video (no longer than 2 minutes) that always stays at the top of the website, so anyone that visits that doesn't have a clue what is good about your server can get a quick peek of all the features you have that others don't, what makes it stand out, what is new/exciting about it.
Thanks for having a look! I will definitely try to create a video hightlighting the custom elements of the server. I do have a featured article which contains a few gifs of some of the custom things, but it is not highlighted properly and I believe most people wouldn't click it. Overall I feel like I went a bit too minimalistic in my approach to the website.

Thank you both! This is great input. I will try to rework the page and make it properly show all the hard work I've put into making this server.

90% of OTS are using same layout, it's like you don't even notice you are on a different server website. If you want to stand out, drop these overused templates (or even AACs) and do something unique. If you are not good in web developing I'm sure someone would be willing to create unique layout for you for a reasonable price.

Something I made and still working on (it's usable, just need to work more on admin panel). Completely new AAC written from scratch in Laravel, entire layout made by me.
Not only people will notice that this is new but more professional and it's not another copy-paste website (and by that they can already think it's a server like any other).

1608651069963.png

Thanks for having a look! I will definitely try to create a video hightlighting the custom elements of the server. I do have a featured article which contains a few gifs of some of the custom things, but it is not highlighted properly and I believe most people wouldn't click it. Overall I feel like I went a bit too minimalistic in my approach to the website.
Shit like that should be main focus, you want people to join the game. Minor updates and change log is only interesting for die hards and is really wrong to be the first thing you see on most ot websites.

90% of OTS are using same layout, it's like you don't even notice you are on a different server website. If you want to stand out, drop these overused templates (or even AACs) and do something unique. If you are not good in web developing I'm sure someone would be willing to create unique layout for you for a reasonable price.

Something I made and still working on (it's usable, just need to work more on admin panel). Completely new AAC written from scratch in Laravel, entire layout made by me.
Not only people will notice that this is new but more professional and it's not another copy-paste website (and by that they can already think it's a server like any other).

View attachment 52823
Wow, that looks great! It's obvious you are talented in what you do :) Not only code-wise but also with design.
I do have a slight background in programming, but working in IT all I ever touch are powershell-scripts. The thought did cross my mind to create my own website and its something I enjoy alot even though I lack experience.
I dont have experience with Laravel, is it the best language for this application? Any resources you could send my way to get me started?
Shit like that should be main focus, you want people to join the game. Minor updates and change log is only interesting for die hards and is really wrong to be the first thing you see on most ot websites.
That is so true! I'm glad i created this thread.

the first and most important thing that I look for is:

WHAT MAKE YOUR SERVER DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHERS?

At the end of the day, it's an 8.6 rlmap and they are boring and monopolised. Unless you have a well established brand and/or massive advertising campaigns then 8.6 realmap is dead on arrival. A lot of people, myself included won't even look at "no name" 8.6 servers. It's just elfbot and pvp/war version. Even established brands can die within days of having over 1.5k players.

If you want to instantly be recognised you need to use a non default version of tibia. 8.7, 9.1 etc. Then people know you didn't just put together a download and run server with some fixes and at least people like me would take a look.

Btw on first look, your website seems fine. Rlmap should have rl looking website and it's not flashy. flashy is always bad. Agree you should emphasise your custom stuff better though.

Good luck!

You find a new server and get on the webpage, what makes you decide if you want to play or not?
Anything in perticular you look for when deciding if a server is good enough to play or not.

I'm trying to attract more players and feel like something is missing even though I'm confident in the server itself.

In my case (when I tried to play):

• (Library --> Server Info) or (Main page). If it's empty I don't know if I want waste my time here. [IMPORTANT]
  • Show me nice custom scripts! [I like to recreate some nice LUA scripts] [IMPORTANT]
  • Show me nice custom map! [LESS IMPORTANT]
  • Show me nice custom story! [LESS IMPORTANT]

Thanks again everyone for the input! I have decided to try and make my own website for the fun of it. Will also try creating more custom content and showcase what I already have.

Update: New template in the works for MyAAC. I figured why reinvent the weel when i can just put my own design over it. It is very simple and mobile-friendly. I made it using bootstrap. Albeit a bit boring, but I'm working on that :)

Back