• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

First Map (criticism needed!)

HeyZeus

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first map i've made, and i guess my first post too. I'm thinking about starting up a small RPG OT with some really low rates, and i've been trying to make maps for it.

Here are some sample islands i made to see how i can improve my mapping:

First Island:

Overview:
tib0021.jpg

Underground(My personal favorite)
tib0022.jpg

tib0023.jpg

tib0024.jpg

Island #2:

Overview:
tib0025.jpg

Dragon Mountain Thing (?):
tib0018.jpg

tib0019.jpg

GS Cave:
tib0016.jpg

Tell me how i can make these better! Criticize it as much as you want!

Last edited:
I like your map! 8/10

I think you should add more random items by hand insteed of with the mapeditor, Just my oppinion.;)

It looks pretty awesome, it's better detailed that anything I've ever made. xD

Very many decorative details, I like that, you should make the islands bigger so you can spawn more monsters, those Dragons / Wyverns and GSes are too close to each other though. Dragon and GS spawn is too small, Mino spawn got a good seize and also well apparted on several floors, arranged by strength.

Overall: Style owns
Spawns could be bigger

Last edited:
It looks nice, but it isn't hard with Remere's MapEditor. But for a first time, it looks good.
Keep it up.

Regards,
Eagon

Wow thanks for all the replies!

Very many decorative details, I like that, you should make the islands bigger so you can spawn more monsters, those Dragons / Wyverns and GSes are too close to each other though. Dragon and GS spawn is too small, Mino spawn got a good seize and also well apparted on several floors, arranged by strength.

Overall: Style owns
Spawns could be bigger

Thanks for so much info! Actually i put a little more time into the first one, and not so much on the second one. I definitely placed things too close together on the second island, its probably overwhelming. I'll try to spread it out, but add more. Ill try to make empty space.

I like your map! 8/10

I think you should add more random items by hand insteed of with the mapeditor, Just my oppinion.;)

actually i didn't randomize anything. i did do it by hand, but i guess i placed it too random to seem real :p

It looks nice, but it isn't hard with Remere's MapEditor. But for a first time, it looks good.
Keep it up.

Regards,
Eagon

Thanks, and im thinking of using simone's now, cus even tho remeres is faster (for me at least), it looks too square. And simones is easier to access the more decorative stuff.

Dude it looks good but i will give a low score For: locating indevidual sprites* 5/10 because the boulders, trees are just random... (dont take this personaly i am just giving *MY* advice.)
the map design overall 10/10 creative and not expected

Dude it looks good but i will give a low score For: locating indevidual sprites* 5/10 because the boulders, trees are just random... (dont take this personaly i am just giving *MY* advice.)
the map design overall 10/10 creative and not expected

no no i wont take it personal at all. yeah i probably put some of the same rocks near each other and it looked awkward, and i did place trees a little randomly. should i just use the pine trees for most of the island? and should i put less rocks and boulders?

I really like it, But I think you should add more details.. anyway, good job 8/10

no no i wont take it personal at all. yeah i probably put some of the same rocks near each other and it looked awkward, and i did place trees a little randomly. should i just use the pine trees for most of the island? and should i put less rocks and boulders?

No ;p unless its called pine island xD

Pretty nice for your first job. You made good mixes between sprites and made a good use of your mapeditor, which is surely RME Editor.

Things to improve :
Island 1 : Lack of stones (You didn't put any) and details, you could also add mountains. Up to you. You should also randomize the ground, add some dirt or mountain ground on the grass.

Underground 1-2 : Pretty good.

Dragon mountain 1 : Looks good, you should randomize the ground there too, and maybe take away these useless map expensions which leads to.. no where.

Dragon mountain 2 : Good too, just wonder what the little water drop is doing there.

Dragon mountain 3 : Nice again, but maybe a little overspawned.

GS cave : Good job.

Total : 7/10. It's really nice for your first try. Keep going. And try to add a personnal touch to your maps, it's the most important thing for a mapper. (My opinion)

Sincerely,
Sawyer.

Last edited:
Awesome work, sir!
All I can realize is some small wrong tiles and some wrongs, such as a water squir in the dragon cave, it's pretty useless..

9/10, thumbs up!

Awesome work, sir!
All I can realize is some small wrong tiles and some wrongs, such as a water squir in the dragon cave, it's pretty useless..

9/10, thumbs up!

thanks. actually i tried to make something that seemed logical, as most mountains have springs. I wanted the water to somehow steam, but there isn't really a type of sprite for steam or smoke so, i guess i should get rid of it.

Back