• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

First server/map quest - please help!

bedlamos

Solutions
Reaction score
Sorry for formatting, I'm new to this website as well as new to creating OT servers.
I'm using Ramere's Map Editor and TFS 8.6 and plan on making a custom map with custom NPC's, quests, items, etc. My intention is to make an intensely lore heavy Tibia full of secrets, pick holes, rare items (only one on server), and quests. The issue that I'm having is the lack of information regarding quests.

For clarity, and without any spoilers, I want a random object (not a chest) to hold a quest item (bag full of specific items, including a journal with pre-written text). I want to craft an NPC that has secrets that can be missed (keywords), and if someone is paying attention the NPC will give hints/foreshadow.

It's something I plan on making a hobby and a craft of love and am going to take my time with it. If you have time to help I would really appreciate your tips, tricks, links, tutorials, etc. for 8.6 and Ramere's Map Editor!

Solution
The object containing the reward to your quest can be done through an action, you can use already done actions as example, they are inside the data/actions folder.

The npc you can easily see how other NPCs were made and will understand how it works with keywords and the phrases it can say randomly.
The object containing the reward to your quest can be done through an action, you can use already done actions as example, they are inside the data/actions folder.

The npc you can easily see how other NPCs were made and will understand how it works with keywords and the phrases it can say randomly.

Solution
I'm not sure how to point to someone so I'll just use quotations -
"you can use already done actions as example, they are inside the data/actions folder."
This was super helpful, I didn't know that folder existed or what it would have done. What programming language is this?

"you can easily see how other NPCs were made"
After you pointed out the data/actions folder I found the NPC folder and will start learning how they operate. Thanks again!

@Ramirow do you know of any crafting help? I don't want to be too ambitious but I want to add things like Alchemy, cooking, etc. and I haven't really seen anything in the data folders.

In another thread someone mentioned Notepad++ helps a lot with this so I downloaded it and it looks way better than notepad, just a side thought haha.

Notepad++ is ok, I prefer sublime text but thats just preference, as I upgraded from notepad to notepad++ just as you when I started, from hearing of it here in this forum 7 years ago.

Every script you code for the datapack, thoose that are inside the data folder are coded in LUA, a fairly easy programming language to start if you have no experience with programming.

The source code is all written in C++, again, if you have no experience programming, I would highly suggest you learn the basics of programming and you could do that with the LUA scripts with no big problem and then try to look into the c++ stuff (this took me a few years, moving from no experience at programming to being able to work with c++), there are enough threads and people on this forum for you to start.

My experience:
I started coding in 2010 (open tibia stuff) and joined this forum in 2011, I was only 13 years old, so the way I learned was by myself, looking at the LUA scripts and trying to understand how things were being done and what changes I could make so that the script would fit my needs.

I don't know if thats the fastest way to learn it (probably isn't) but it worked for me and the only help I had was some threads I used to understand things I didn't know.

I was currently working on a custom skills system for TFS 1.2+ that was going to include Mining, Herblore, Lumberjacking, Smithing, etc. Just send me a private message telling me what you want, I will gladly make a custom skill system for you. I will comment every script so you can learn from them, also ask whatever you feel in need to know or didnt understand

So for example, blueberrybush.lua - how would I add that to Ramere's Map Editor? Do I have to add that script to every blueberry bush that I lay down in Ramere's?

So for example, blueberrybush.lua - how would I add that to Ramere's Map Editor? Do I have to add that script to every blueberry bush that I lay down in Ramere's?

Some scripts are defined for Item ID, like this:
Code:
<action itemid="2785" script="other/blueberrybush.lua" />

This line tells, that every item id 2785 should use blueberrybush.lua script

Other way to define scripts just for some items are action id (can be used for more than 1 item), and unique id (can be used for 1 unique item).

Back