• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

First Steps

2Morrow

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am completelly new to spriting and been following some ppl this past month (Leshrot and Anevis) to try and make decent artwork.

Here are my first 2 sprites.
34185522_1461297193974592_6806596473426280448_n.png Copper Helm (2Morrow).png

Would love some criticism since everybody around me said its perfect (well of course it ain't).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I like the helmet, it's a good start.
You may use better the 32x32 canvas doing bigger shapes.

Foccus the light on the center hanging to northwest, think the armor as a cylinder
Shading-Objects-2.jpg

Foccus the light on the center hanging to northwest, think the armor as a cylinder
Shading-Objects-2.jpg
I did exactly that, always had trouble doing shades when I was drawing, will be a tough process to learn it.

Shading-Objects-2.jpg
Just remade the shading on the armor.

I'm rlly glad of how it is coming to be.

I even tried out some anti aliasing.

iron.png

Thanks Leshrot and everyone for the support! :D

Just remade the shading on the armor.

I'm rlly glad of how it is coming to be.

I even tried out some anti aliasing.

View attachment 32354

Thanks Leshrot and everyone for the support! :D
I think it was a downgrade from the original, your shadows are looking as gradients only, not really describing form. Also colors are flat, not trying to picture the metal texture. Applying a red gradient to the helmet won't describe its form nor it's metal texture. The designs and shapes are great!

I think it was a downgrade from the original, your shadows are looking as gradients only, not really describing form. Also colors are flat, not trying to picture the metal texture. Applying a red gradient to the helmet won't describe its form nor it's metal texture. The designs and shapes are great!

Then I'm not seeing the big picture when I'm looking at it =(

Will try and see some examples.

Thanks.

I think I get it Peonso, about the gradient appearal and a TEXTURE. So many stuff to combine it didnt even crossed my mind it should look like metal, but the light should smoothly transition, it totally doesn't look like real, I was not looking at it as a piece of real armor.

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I get it Peonso, about the gradient appearal and a TEXTURE. So many stuff to combine it didnt even crossed my mind it should look like metal, but the light should smoothly transition, it totally doesn't look like real, I was not looking at it as a piece of real armor.

Thanks for the tip.
Check this Chapter 7: Textures and Dithering

Back