• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Funny Set?

TheDamped

Reaction score
So I guess the next sprite competition will be "dragon". It's too bad though, I really like the idea of "Jester Set". I went ahead and drew it anyway. I'm eager to hear everyone's thoughts.
funnySet.png

looks good but i think you could add a bit more contrast and the top of the blue side of the armor looks weird other than that great design. :)

you sprite really good, but i agree to jonte, more contrast would make it more great :)

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I completely agree about the shoulder on the vest. I couldn't get it to look right, eventually just went with that.

So I opened it up in Gimp and played around with the colors some to see what I could come up with. Tell me what you think looks the best.

Original:
funnySet.png

Higher Contrast:
funnySetGimpContrast.png

Really high saturation:
funnySetGimpSaturated.png

Played with the color curve to increase contrast:
funnySetGimpCurve.png

Just for fun, hue shifted:
funnySetGimpFun.png

Very nice, but I would go with red-green theme instead of yellow-blue or green-purple.

One of the best sprite sets I've seen on otland.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't quite understand. Are you saying you've seen a similar set before?

I edited the post and forgot to include a word, you can read it again now :).

Do you have any projects you are working on perhaps?

I edited the post and forgot to include a word, you can read it again now :).

Do you have any projects you are working on perhaps?
Oh wow thanks! Yeah, I'm working on a game (mostly programming, trying to get better so it doesn't have a bad case of "programmer art"). But it's not really related to Tibia. <--- It's what I drew that avatar for.

Oh wow thanks! Yeah, I'm working on a game (mostly programming, trying to get better so it doesn't have a bad case of "programmer art"). But it's not really related to Tibia. <--- It's what I drew that avatar for.

This is a major issue for a lot of programmers who want to do their own games, including myself.
I cannot for the life of me draw anything, so I just end up making boxes and circles to visually represent the entities.

You have both the talent? Incredible.

This is a major issue for a lot of programmers who want to do their own games, including myself.
I cannot for the life of me draw anything, so I just end up making boxes and circles to visually represent the entities.

You have both the talent? Incredible.

Not without a lot of practice and studying, it doesn't really come very natural. It takes a terribly large amount of time, but when you have a production budget of $0 you don't have much choice. :p

If you want to get better I recommend reading a lot of tutorials and even copying decent pixel art, pixel by pixel, by hand. Then for various aspects, do it yourself, then compare the end work, and try to see what they did better, then fix yours. Usually it will still look like rubbish, but you gradually get better and learn(I still have a long way to go). I think for programmers a major road block is that feeling of "I can't touch the holy grail of art". Kind of like for a lot of artists "I can't touch the holy grail of programming". Once you can just ignore the mental block and fail hard a bunch of times you can start improving. I don't think I'll ever be as good as a lot of the artists here but I'm here to try to get closer. I tied for last in the potions competition, but maybe next time. If my thread doesn't get too far off track maybe I'll get some more useful advice! :p

If you want to try to get better you can message me and we can talk about it.

Back