• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Gatekeeping

That TibiCam guy is absolutely hilarious. He has given literally nothing of himself, not even one freaking solution in the support board. Yet, he spends all days pointing the finger and arguing, that those who out of their free will have contributed some - they should be doing much more; and that nobody should ever be making money of running their server, but instead they should provide all the files and their work to him, just because. rotfl

Oh, I didn't know we run TFS on players devices.

You never read, do you?

GPL covers not only what is run on your device, but anything GPL-licensed that interacts with your device and data. A player on TFS-based server is not in full control of what the software does. The player can not see what it's doing with their personal information for example. The only way is to release the source code, since it's a GPL licensed software.

You're actually stupid. I mean legit stupid. I have provided you with all information you need to know, even links to their websites, videos. You just do not want to learn, and that's fine. But don't come here expecting any further responses. Take your time and read through what has been mentioned and read the damn license, you lazy fuck!

The player can not see what it's doing with their personal information for example.
Client does that, not the server. Its done through a middle-man (the client). Server is not downloading your data without additional interaction. Without the client, server is useless.

That TibiCam guy is absolutely hilarious. He has given literally nothing of himself, not even one freaking solution in the support board. Yet, he spends all days pointing the finger and arguing, that those who out of their free will have contributed some - they should be doing much more; and that nobody should ever be making money of running their server, but instead they should provide all the files and their work to him, just because. rotfl

Kay at it again, with the fine selfie in his profile picture.

I spend most of my time on Github or Gitlab. That's where progress is made. Not on the forums. However, I do appreciate the people providing support here. But I rather spend my time programming.

The reason they have placed the EULA as the "license" on Github, is because they kind of messed up and need to have two in place and probably couldn't pick which one to choose: One for the source and one for the installation. EULA is not the same as a license for the source code.

It's the only License present with RME since it was made public. The header on C++ files means nothing, there was never a copy of a GPL with it's source code. Great fuss you made about this half truth ignoring all the rest on my entire post.

I'd love to see you tell that to the board of directors at Coca Cola, or Facebook, or Microsoft, or Google, or Amazon, who has spent many millions to protect their work with copyright, patents and licenses, that it is completely optional if they want to copyright things. According to you, copyright is not mandatory. You have yet again failed to grasp basic concepts. Can you please stop posting absolute dog vomit? So according to you, what is the point of copyright, copyleft, trademarks and licenses?

It's not according to me, it's the Berne Convention, the document that regulates copyright almost in the entire world.

Article 5 Rights Guaranteed:
(1) Authors shall enjoy, in respect of works for which they are protected under this Convention, in countries of the Union other than the country of origin, the rights which their respective laws do now or may hereafter grant to their nationals, as well as the rights specially granted by this Convention.
(2) The enjoyment and the exercise of these rights shall not be subject to any formality; such enjoyment and such exercise shall be independent of the existence of protection in the country of origin of the work.

Any google search on that regards will return you numerous results stating that copyrights are given to an author as soon as the work is made, all based on the Berne Convention, that again, is signed by almost all the countries in the world.

If a software is GPL licensed, any future variants of the program will automatically become GPL licensed as well, regardless of what you created and put into it. And anyone who run or interact with that code in any way must have access to the source code. It is the definition of free software. If you do not provide people with the source code, they can not know what the software does. Anyone means anyone. If you sell a modified version of The Forgotten Server, you have to provide the buyer with the source code. If you plan to host it publicly (meaning, not privately) you have to provide access to the source code to all players.

Public is the opposite of private. As soon as you either sell it, or have code that is run or interacted with from another person's computer, it is considered public use. And if it is GPL licensed, that person must be provided with access to the source code. Especially with GPL 3.0 licensed code, but also GPL 2.0.

View attachment 84378

I can not make things clearer for you. If a computer program is GPL 2.0/3.0 licensed, it must conform to the free software guidelines. Any and all future copies of it will remain with the same license. Because it is free software, it must include the "four essential freedoms" listed in the image above. If it does not do that, then it is a violation of the license.

It's amazing how on all those walls of text you weren't capable to quote the fucking GPL 2.0 once. It's always some other source, talking about something else that you try to twist somehow.

Someone running a server software is not making that software available to any sort of user, no idea why you made that leap, you not gonna found anyone stating that anywhere.
Post automatically merged:

No one even stated that if anyone touch GLP 2.0 code, is obliged to share it with the rest of the world. At this point, you just made a whole shitshow based on your ignorance and hasty conclusions.

No? You mental?

There's people in this forum using GPL 3.0 licensed software and then tries to close the source codes and charge people for it. Do you understand that it is a violation of the license? It's not how free and open source works. You may never under any circumstances use GPL 3.0 licensed code in your project and close its sources.
If you come to a community, whose base software is all GPL 3.0 or GPL 2.0 licensed, and you try to charge people for it, and have no interest in changing your behavior, then you're not only a massive douchebag - but it's illegal and you can be prosecuted in court for it.
And it's not just to the buyer of the software, but anyone who will use it as the end customer. In other words, everyone, as it can not be guaranteed it's never shared by the customer.
If anyone in the entire world, plans to play an OT server using such code, its sources must be available.

You can charge for the binary or the sources too. But the source has to be made available free to the public, as you no longer use it privately for your own needs.

Client does that, not the server. Its done through a middle-man (the client). Server is not downloading your data without additional interaction. Without the client, server is useless.

Holy shit, you're actually incompetent. You don't know how networking is done, yet here you are talking about the mechanics of TFS. Do you even know how TFS works or are you just coming here with dog vomit yet again? When I enter a TFS-based server, my computer is establishing a connection with it. It's getting information from my computer.

The client is not what this is about. When I as a user interact with a OTS, and it's GPL licensed, I have to be provided with the source code involved. Please read the GPL licenses. I'm tired of repeating myself to idiots.

You don't know how networking is done
When I enter a TFS-based server, my computer is establishing a connection with it. It's getting information from my computer.
Oh yes, and it forces your computer to accept the connection and lets TFS execute code on your machine to gather the information, yes, ofc. I'm gonna connect my TFS to your computer right now, thanks for your bank account.

Oh yes, and it forces your computer to accept the connection and lets TFS execute code on your machine to gather the information, yes, ofc. I'm gonna connect my TFS to your computer right now, thanks for your bank account.

Come back to this thread when you understand how networking, GPL licenses and free software works.

Talking about bank accounts and nudes in this thread. You've absolutely gone insane.

I spend most of my time on Github or Gitlab. That's where progress is made. Not on the forums. However, I do appreciate the people providing support here. But I rather spend my time programming.
That's why you used to sit here in otland, asking questions how to do this and how to do that, to get answers from the same people that you now point your finger at, mr. programmer?
Please link us to those commits of yours, and let's see if your "github legacy" keeps pace with your ego.

Last edited:
That's why you used to sit here in otland, asking questions how to do this, how to do that, and getting answers from the same people that you now point your finger at?
Please link us to those commits of yours, and let's see if your "github legacy" keeps pace with your ego.

Look at this shit man, he evens project himself in me.

Wow, that was a lot of dog vomit from Peonso, a guy that clearly has never read any software license or have contributed to anything in the Open Tibia ecosystem.

After all this years, that what I receive back from this leecher.

this topic is exactly why im revisiting this forum everyday, thank you god for such an opportunity, life is great.
Go Away Goodbye GIF

I find it hilarious that you link to a page that then has a reference to GNU's FAQ page that tells you that GPL applies to it in that case.

In other words, when a software (the game server) is considered to be part of a system including the game client, the GPL applies to the server as well. But you are still as a user receiving and transfering information back and forth between your computer and network, and the server. The GPL license would apply in any case.

And since the only way to play the server is through the client, the GPL license applies and the server sources must be released, as TFS is licensed under GPL. As was stated on the GNU FAQ page. Otherwise, everyone in this world would put everything behind a server and bypass the license terms.

If any user interacts with GPL licensed code in any way, through whatever means necessary, that source code must be provided in its entirety.

Do you have issues reading or what's your problem?

Good night.

I find it hilarious that you link to a page that then has a reference to GNU's FAQ page that tells you that GPL applies to it in that case.

In other words, when a software (the game server) is considered to be part of a system including the game client, the GPL applies to the server as well. But you are still as a user receiving and transfering information back and forth between your computer and network, and the server. The GPL license would apply in any case.

And since the only way to play the server is through the client, the GPL license applies and the server sources must be released, as TFS is licensed under GPL. As was stated on the GNU FAQ page.

Do you have issues reading or what's your problem?
I don't need OTC to connect to TFS. I can do it through any TCP protocol. OTC is not part of one program with TFS. GPL does not apply here.

1714861702655.png
This thread is as paradox itself and won't have a "true answer" so you guys can discuss for it for months and no one will really learn a thing from it. I won't avoid the question and will respond the thread. I think that gatekeeping won't open you a space to colaborate. When I started at otland, I didn't ever know how to compile, and was begging for a compiled engine. And I had luck, some people helped me on that and allowed me to start contributing, from that point.

But honestly guys, how the hell we going to have meaningful engagement, to someone who barely knows about this stuff. So I ask you guys, how many of you compiled a server for a desperate guy on support board, trying to push him to participate on the community?

And please understand my point, the question I did before wasn't supposed to target any of you. Because is something you should ask yourself, how much of my own work I'll give to people here so they can colaborate on it? I think the point is clear enought, there's no need to reiterate this over and over again with 9999999 arguments of the same thing falling on this meme.

1714861422331.png

Oh, I didn't know we run TFS on players devices.
well the opcode client side does? so that implies already that some of your code is public if people dont encrypt it.
didnt you guys break otc encryption to decrypt all clients and then sold your own encryption with .oen ?
Money Lol GIF by iHeartRadio San Francisco

the best part is

tooltips or crafting is mechanics of online games for years such as diablo or minecraft so like he didnt invent wheel there anyways.
and the game store? atleast now people will be able to make 99999xx infinite money like all you claim.

regular tibia is boring anyways I am sure there will be surge in good content of servers now since they wont have to think about unique things but instead be like us
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Dance Off Mixed Martial Arts GIF by UFC

Last edited:
Back