• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[General discussions] OS impacts the ping?

Kuzyn

Excellent OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey, I would like to open a discussion about running otclient on different operating systems.
Have you experienced a ping problem with otclient? If yes, have you found out any solutions?

I tried running modified otclient (used on RA) on two different specs, Win7 PC (components mainly from 2015) and laptop Aspire E1-570 from 2013 with Win10.
The test was performed on almost clean map (surface+water, some pickable items and items with light sources on ground) and 3000 movement speed points.

Laptop Win10 connected by WiFi tests:
  • idle standing 80ms with occasional spikes to 60ms, 120ms or 190ms.
  • walking with arrows mostly around 90-130ms with occasional spikes to 70ms, 150ms, 190ms and sometimes up to 1200/1500ms.
  • walking with map click often 135-160ms with occasional spikes to 90ms and rarely more than 200ms.

PC Win7 connected to the same network via cabel:
  • idle standing 60-80ms and extra rare spikes to 300ms.
  • walking with arrows 80-120ms with spikes to 140ms.
  • walking with map click always 280-300ms.
Also I have noticed that when somebody runs around you on win7, you also get 300 ms.

Hello Kuzyn,

Are you using sendPing and sendPingBack or are you pinging the server externally?

If you're using tfs ping functions it might be that the scheduler gets a little busier than it should be while calculating paths to perform walk once you click the map, which leads to a delay on sendPingBack.

Also I must note that you're still with an average latency to the server even though the numbers are high, it's just tfs not being as performant as it should.

Best Wishes,
Okke

It depends on how much players do you have on your OT. If there are a low number of players it's probably just OTClient not being to well optimized or the right tool for this kind of analysis. As @Okke states if scheduler is too much busier it will delay the processing of ping packets, and not only that, but OTClient it self is also doing much more than ping packets so you need to put in account all the graphic/sound/network processing that the client is doing and that can also contribute to an increase in the final ping.

If you walk too fast, you will receive a lot of data to be processed and also trigger a lot of events that will be handled and finally all the processed data that should be displayed/rendered to screen. As an example, when I open two OTClient's, my ping almost doubles.

So, I don't think OTClient is the best for measuring this kind of thing, it surely helps to have something consistent for showing to players but you need to have in mind that the client performances will also induce in the final result.

"1200/1500ms" is bad though, but different from walk by clicking where a path finding is calculated you are sending a lot of packets when pressing or keeping a key pressed which implies in more packets being sent on the WI-FI so the chances to lose a packet is higher and that might add time due to re-sending the packet?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

maybe otclient is lagging, check on otclientv8 and compare, kasteria.pl, evolunia.net and archlightonline.ca use it, you can test there

Back