• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Getting players to your server?

Extrodus

|| Blazera.net ||
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
So its been awhile since I've been on here, but I was wondering what everyones tactic is to opening a new server and getting players.
Right now I am hosting a 7.4-7.7 based on RealOTs/Nostalrius' datapack, I don't want to advertise on other servers, or over bump a thread.

But I know OTLand and OTServList isn't the only options, so what other places do you advertise and what in game events do you hold to keep players interested and staying online?

Thanks in Advance,
Extrodus

You should remember to make so people use their own emails so you could update them when you start a new server

You should remember to make so people use their own emails so you could update them when you start a new server

A mailing list is definitely an option, I could go through my old database's and construct one.. but I don't want to seem spammy and technically that would be border line illegal since they players never signed up to receive "newsletters or updates about upcoming products". For all the new sign ups though I could definitely start collecting, then throwing out a email every 2 weeks to encourage returning players.

You need to have a compelling reason why playing your server is better than playing the other 400 servers on Otservlist, and the other 500 not listed on Otservlist.

@Sir Knighter - This is my idea exactly, to create custom content that compels people to check us out. But in the mean time, it's near impossible to distinguish ourselves from the rest. But I guess that just comes with the territory until we make ourselves stand out.

@Sir Knighter - This is my idea exactly, to create custom content that compels people to check us out. But in the mean time, it's near impossible to distinguish ourselves from the rest. But I guess that just comes with the territory until we make ourselves stand out.
I recommend you dont launch till you have something that distinguishes you. Focus solely on the development.

I recommend you dont launch till you have something that distinguishes you. Focus solely on the development.

I personally like to build upon community feedback and it's hard to get that here without extra unnecessary drama attached in threads which is why I'm personally choosing to build while its online so day one players will be able to see and take note of the transformation. If I had the money for advertisement I would definitely just build it then drop money on getting players but as I'm currently in debt in RL. That's not a feasible option, hopefully things go good the way I do it.

I personally like to build upon community feedback and it's hard to get that here without extra unnecessary drama attached in threads which is why I'm personally choosing to build while its online so day one players will be able to see and take note of the transformation. If I had the money for advertisement I would definitely just build it then drop money on getting players but as I'm currently in debt in RL. That's not a feasible option, hopefully things go good the way I do it.
Yea you can go any route you want, just giving my 2 cents on what I think is the best way ^_^

So its been awhile since I've been on here, but I was wondering what everyones tactic is to opening a new server and getting players.
Right now I am hosting a 7.4-7.7 based on RealOTs/Nostalrius' datapack, I don't want to advertise on other servers, or over bump a thread.

But I know OTLand and OTServList isn't the only options, so what other places do you advertise and what in game events do you hold to keep players interested and staying online?

Thanks in Advance,
Extrodus
Not hosting download & run servers.
Don't just launch a server especially one that you did nothing to. Start a custom project and garnish a following as it is being developed. Don't just show screenshots, show in-game game-play and some of the mechanics but not on an administrator character. Most gamers like to see what they'll encounter in the game and not just stills or a god character flying around the map.

If you look at @Sir Knighter's project you can see that this person adds a little flare to their project for advertising by creating banners, using different fonts, colors and a lot of images and even video on their site. As well as providing a lot of information so that potential players know what they can expect from the server.

I think you may already know what it takes to build a player-base. I think its just a matter of lack of skill or even attention span to make your dreams a reality.

Back