• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Help compile

ka0zstyle

Reaction score
Someone recommend me a tutorial on everything about how to compile and what exactly works for it? For years, only he downloaded the files and pasted them in another folder on another server, but I would like to learn in depth about what it means and what are the benefits of compiling your server yourself.

Your thread title asks for help compiling, but your question is about the pros of compiling yourself, which is it?
The pros are that you get to have control of what's in your server and add custom features you find based on tutorials, or maybe write/change something in the engine yourself.

Someone recommend me a tutorial on everything about how to compile and what exactly works for it? For years, only he downloaded the files and pasted them in another folder on another server, but I would like to learn in depth about what it means and what are the benefits of compiling your server yourself.

bro, u should read this tfs tutorial:

thanks bro, they explain perfectly how to compile but not for what it is used in, what difference is there if under an OT with its dlls and .exe ready to compile it myself?

windows
Post automatically merged:

Your thread title asks for help compiling, but your question is about the pros of compiling yourself, which is it?
The pros are that you get to have control of what's in your server and add custom features you find based on tutorials, or maybe write/change something in the engine yourself.

but, if i dont make any change in the engine and i only download the libraries and .exe it works fine?

The benefits of compiling it yourself means you can look at the source code make sure there is no backdoors or viruses.

Downloading executables can be dangerous sometimes, because determining if there is back door in bytecode is a lot more complicated. And sometimes things are dangerous and are supposed to be, and will drive your Windows anti-virus crazy. For example, the network diagnostic tool netcat. You download a Windows version of that, it will be seen as a virus even though it's not. Being able to tell what is dangerous and what is not is extra complicated for software that is supposed to be exposed to the internet.

It's best just to compile your daemons yourself. On Linux. 🐧

Linux is general is more conducive to running network service daemons, which is what things like httpds (Apache and nginx) and otservs are.

Everything about Windows is for abstracting the fact that a computer is a machine as far away from the users as possible. It's no where more apparent then in their respective kernel panic screens.

Windows BSODs have gotten even worse since I saw one last! 😂
1586245094019.png

Finding just a random one from the web... this is what the same thing looks like in Linux. See how much different these kernel panic outputs are? You can tell these products were made with two entirely different sets of people in mind. And it's reflected from the bottom up, and throughout the entire OS.

You're expected to know how to compile just to be an average Linux user. The average Windows user has never even heard the term compile outside the context of some police television shows talking about "compiling" data on some villain character.

When you're gonna be running a online service that you're gonna expose to the public, which camp do you think you should be in?

Back