• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Help me build a MACHINE!

R

Runes

Okay here is the deal. Today I decided to clean my PC for the first time. I opened it (first time I opened a PC) and I was amazed with the technology, and realized that I can upgrade it. So below I will post the specs of my PC and you will tell me what is the best thing to upgrade. I don't have a limited budget but don't suggest uber-duper things.

Specs:
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
CPU
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz 43 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
INTEL Corporation H61M-DS2 (Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz) 28 °C
Graphics
ASUS VH197 (1366x768@60Hz)
ATI ASUS EAH5670 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 46 °C
Hard Drives
466GB Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (SATA) 37 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70 ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Want my opinion? Save your money and buy (or build) a new computer. For $1,000, you can get a machine that will blow that one out of the water. Upgrading that machine wouldn't even be worth while.

Okay here is the deal. Today I decided to clean my PC for the first time. I opened it (first time I opened a PC) and I was amazed with the technology, and realized that I can upgrade it. So below I will post the specs of my PC and you will tell me what is the best thing to upgrade. I don't have a limited budget but don't suggest uber-duper things.

Specs:
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
CPU
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz 43 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
INTEL Corporation H61M-DS2 (Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz) 28 °C
Graphics
ASUS VH197 (1366x768@60Hz)
ATI ASUS EAH5670 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 46 °C
Hard Drives
466GB Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (SATA) 37 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70 ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Wait a minute!
how is 8 GB ram possible on 32 bit :w00t:

Wait a minute!
how is 8 GB ram possible on 32 bit :w00t:

I heard it will only use 4 GB of RAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Want my opinion? Save your money and buy (or build) a new computer. For $1,000, you can get a machine that will blow that one out of the water. Upgrading that machine wouldn't even be worth while.

Well I am still new to this "building" so I will collect info what to buy.

Tips for a new build...

Well, in that case, I'll make a few suggestions to your new build:

• Motherboard: $250 - $350: You want to get an LGA2011 motherboard, preferably from Asus. Why LGA2011? Because you won't be able to upgrade the CPU later on. Haswell and Maxwell CPU's are LGA2011 compatible. This part of the machine is pricey. You will spend at least $250 on this, and it will be worth every penny. The motherboard is arguably the most important part of the machine. The Asus P9X79 is an excellent choice. The Asus Rampage Extreme is the best choice, in my opinion, but it's nearly $500.
  • Processor & Cooling: $250 - $300: Intel processors are great but do cost slightly more than AMD. I do not recommend AMD. You'll want a quad-core processor. I use the Intel Core i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1GHz). This processor is outstanding and is under $300 (probably less on eBay). Another option would be the 3570K or 3770k (for better overclocking). I strongly urge you to grab a liquid cooling unit for about $70. The Corsair Hydro H60 is a perfect solution. It will be more difficult to install, but it isn't insanely difficult. Do not install water cooling over your motherboard! Water will destroy everything. Note: You will also need thermal paste. I recommend Arctic Siver 5 or IC Diamond. Both are great. You put a pea size drop on the CPU and then press the heatsink down over it, gently, while screwing it in slowly to evenly spread the paste.
  • Graphics: $310: Stick with NVIDIA for your GPU (graphics processing unit). AMD is known to be "more bang for your buck," but it's also going to be a pain in the ass when it comes to driver support. I would recommend you grab a GTX 660ti. It is very reasonably priced and performs greatly. Otherwise, I suggest grabbing a GTX 680 or GTX 780 for ultimate performance, if you can afford it.
  • Power Supply: $100: You'll want at least 750W PSU (power supply unit) with a bronze certified rating. A good PSU for under $100 would be this one.
  • Case: $100 - $250: This is up to you. You'll want a mid-tower case with enough fans to support your new system.
  • Memory: $70: I'd grab at least 8GB's (16GB's if you want) of memory at 1600MHz. Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) - I myself am planning to purchase some of this memory. It is excellent and affordable.
Approximately $1200 (CPU liquid cooling inc.). For this amount, you can play every game on High to Very High settings. Ultra if you grab a better GPU for another $200 - $250. Do not be afraid to check out eBay for used or refurbished products. Some people barely used their GTX 680's and want the 780's...you may be able to grab one for the price of a 660ti. But beware that there are scams out there - ask for updated pictures and proof of functionality.

Hopefully this will help you decide on a build. I strongly suggest building your own PC and avoiding the upgrade of this one.

Why don't I recommend just upgrading components? You'll be combining new technology with old. It won't be as stable and you won't get very good results, which may lead to issues down the road. Also, upgrades will cost at least half of what I suggested above. You might as well save up and build a beast.

Good luck. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for making that awesome list. Already grabbed some spare old pc cases to practise this build. Altough it is little bit expensive for me, I'll try to save money for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I have 8 GB RAM. Can I save it and move it to the new PC?

Nope. Your ram is too low of a frequency to even be compatible with newer motherboards. In all honesty, the PC you have was never meant to be upgraded.

Nope. Your ram is too low of a frequency to even be compatible with newer motherboards. In all honesty, the PC you have was never meant to be upgraded.

Oh thanks. I want to build this by myself, to be proud. It can't be that hard assembling all pieces together, can it?

Oh thanks. I want to build this by myself, to be proud. It can't be that hard assembling all pieces together, can it?

It won't be easy. Google some tutorials and watch some videos on YouTube before proceeding.

Back