• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Help wanted!

Soulless213

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to creating servers and I am looking for some help in creating my own. What I need with is someone who can draw sprites and I also need someone who can help me script. I cannot offer any money, only glory in making a server. If you're interested in helping me out, (which I would REALLY appreciate) message me. If you want to know the details of the type of server I have envisioned, just ask.
Thank you to all reply!

Hello, @Soulless213 ,

In order to have a full functioning server, there are a lot of things you need to cover.
To list some required knowledge:
  • LUA for scripts;
  • C++ for source editing;
  • SQL for the Mysql database;
  • Linux (the hosting operating system);
  • PHP, HTML, CSS, JS for the website;
  • Sprites editing to change or add new sprites.

What kind of knowledge you have already?
Is this a solo project?
Do you intent to make money out of it?
Once you answer these questions, the path will become clearer.

I would like to learn lua. I have taken c++ course, sql, html, css, some js, no php (currently working on js and php), and I cannot draw so I have chosen to request assistance with this one specifically. It is a solo project so far, but I will be needing help so I decided to ask. I do not intend to make money, just an enjoyable server with loads of content. A play to win server, but I do want to add cosmetic additions in the shop that people can either buy or earn in game. Much more too.
Post automatically merged:

Hello, @Soulless213 ,

In order to have a full functioning server, there are a lot of things you need to cover.
To list some required knowledge:
  • LUA for scripts;
  • C++ for source editing;
  • SQL for the Mysql database;
  • Linux (the hosting operating system);
  • PHP, HTML, CSS, JS for the website;
  • Sprites editing to change or add new sprites.

What kind of knowledge you have already?
Is this a solo project?
Do you intent to make money out of it?
Once you answer these questions, the path will become clearer.

Last edited:
Well, regarding PHP, you don't have to stick to it. You can create your website using Angular, React, it is your choice. PHP is cool because you have tons of AAC out there for free. Since you are a one man army, it is very helpful.

Now, about spriting, especially in pixel art, it is a very exhausting effort. A single non-animated sprite has 32x32 pixels, each pixel may have one of 16.7 million colors. If you want to create something unique, you are going to need a business partner, since you cannot afford to pay for the art.

I was at the same position you are now, and I couldn't execute my project until a friend of mine decided to help me with the art (as a partner for a non-profit project).

I suggest you stick to the latest TFS, since it has a nice LUA support. I also highly suggest you to focus on LUA before C++, because you are going to spend too much more time scripting than coding the sources.
You will be surprised with how powerful the LUA extension is.
OTLand has several threads covering LUA basics and TFS LUA interfaces.

Well, regarding PHP, you don't have to stick to it. You can create your website using Angular, React, it is your choice. PHP is cool because you have tons of AAC out there for free. Since you are a one man army, it is very helpful.

Now, about spriting, especially in pixel art, it is a very exhausting effort. A single non-animated sprite has 32x32 pixels, each pixel may have one of 16.7 million colors. If you want to create something unique, you are going to need a business partner, since you cannot afford to pay for the art.

I was at the same position you are now, and I couldn't execute my project until a friend of mine decided to help me with the art (as a partner for a non-profit project).

I suggest you stick to the latest TFS, since it has a nice LUA support. I also highly suggest you to focus on LUA before C++, because you are going to spend too much more time scripting than coding the sources.
You will be surprised with how powerful the LUA extension is.
OTLand has several threads covering LUA basics and TFS LUA interfaces.
@rickgv
I will probably use React. I have heard of it before.

Where would I be able to find someone who can help me sprite?

Also, I am already working and creating a server. It is 8.6. I am creating my own map from scratch.

I will start learning lua whenever I have free time using these resources. Thank you.
I will also look around for TFS and LUA information.

@Soulless213
React is highly in demand nowadays. It is a good choice for sure.

Well, finding someone who can help you spriting is quite hard because we are talking about 2D-games, a very specific niche, right? But I believe you are in the right place. Try to talk more about your project, try to "sell" your ideas. I'm sure there is a high chance someone will be interested, as long as they feel they will be rewarded - not only moneywise.
In my case, what helped me was sharing the project with an oldschool friend of mine. Perhaps your friends may be interested as well?

Regarding LUA and C++, try to master the basics of each one, then, try to understand C++ code and LUA interfaces.
By doing that, you'll be able to attach a great dynamic to your server.

Now, this is an open-source community, and most people are interested in helping open-source projects.
If you are willing to keep your code (or some part of it) open, I'm sure it will drag much more attention.

In any case, don't give up. A project takes time and effort, and, as long as you are happy, it is totally worth it.

I would surely enjoy working with React too.

I don't exactly know what the selling point of my server is. It is really just something I wanted to make so that everyone can enjoy it. Something with lore, background, and rich gameplay. I have a lot of ideas, but I don't know how to implement them. I don't have any friends (besides one) who is interested in Tibia. I will look at it if you would like though.

I will be doing my best to master them appropriately. I want an amazing and fun server.

I don't care to keep my code and such open-source, as long as proper credits are given.

I have been working on my idea for about a year now. Not strictly development wise, but ideas and such and I am only just recently getting into real development I guess.
@Soulless213
React is highly in demand nowadays. It is a good choice for sure.

Well, finding someone who can help you spriting is quite hard because we are talking about 2D-games, a very specific niche, right? But I believe you are in the right place. Try to talk more about your project, try to "sell" your ideas. I'm sure there is a high chance someone will be interested, as long as they feel they will be rewarded - not only moneywise.
In my case, what helped me was sharing the project with an oldschool friend of mine. Perhaps your friends may be interested as well?

Regarding LUA and C++, try to master the basics of each one, then, try to understand C++ code and LUA interfaces.
By doing that, you'll be able to attach a great dynamic to your server.

Now, this is an open-source community, and most people are interested in helping open-source projects.
If you are willing to keep your code (or some part of it) open, I'm sure it will drag much more attention.

In any case, don't give up. A project takes time and effort, and, as long as you are happy, it is totally worth it.

I would surely enjoy working with React too.

I don't exactly know what the selling point of my server is. It is really just something I wanted to make so that everyone can enjoy it. Something with lore, background, and rich gameplay. I have a lot of ideas, but I don't know how to implement them. I don't have any friends (besides one) who is interested in Tibia. I will look at it if you would like though.

I will be doing my best to master them appropriately. I want an amazing and fun server.

I don't care to keep my code and such open-source, as long as proper credits are given.

I have been working on my idea for about a year now. Not strictly development wise, but ideas and such and I am only just recently getting into real development I guess.

I've always wanted to develop, mostly because I used to play Tibia all the time when younger.
I used to have an OTServ, and that introduced to programming.
Basically, what I used to do was some LUA scripts, changing IFs, creating levers, basic stuff, but I loved it.
Now, I'm a professional web developer, working with Angular + Java.

I also have dreams to make my own server, so, when I have time and feel like it, I study a little of LUA, I try to understand how TFS works. I'm still a beginner in LUA and TFS, but I can recognize I've done some progress.
I think once you understand your limitations, once you know how much work it is required to bring your ideas to reality, it gets easier to manage your expectations.
My advice for you is this: go slow, take your time, don't expect to have your project ready anytime soon. It is hard, but, if you really want to do this, you'll keep going, learning. Every victory, success is gonna 'fuel' up your project as it goes.

Learn each language's basics;
Understand how C++ and Lua talk to eachother;
Get your hands dirty, I mean, create simple scripts, then advance a little more;
Use the search feature of this forum;
Browse TFS source code and LUA TFS scripts;
Got stuck? ask. People here a nice, smart and will help you when they see you have genuine questions.

I'll surely help whenever I can.

If you want, add me in Discord: Puppozao#7278

That is exactly the reason why i wanted to start developing my own. It was because I felt like I loved this game and always wanted to create my own with my set of ideas. When I was younger I was already grabbing distros and such and trying to craft my own. I used Phoenixia and CryingDamson.

I feel like once I get done with my college semester is when I will truly start to develop my programming skills in all honesty. (here in a few days). I feel like I can understand LUA from the scripts I look at with my own files. Looking around, I can copy/paste create my own scripts and put together basic things.
I haven't tried rushing anything. It would be pointless to try and rush it anyhow.
I love the community here, everyone is nice and helpful.

I appreciate you talking to me.

I've always wanted to develop, mostly because I used to play Tibia all the time when younger.
I used to have an OTServ, and that introduced to programming.
Basically, what I used to do was some LUA scripts, changing IFs, creating levers, basic stuff, but I loved it.
Now, I'm a professional web developer, working with Angular + Java.

I also have dreams to make my own server, so, when I have time and feel like it, I study a little of LUA, I try to understand how TFS works. I'm still a beginner in LUA and TFS, but I can recognize I've done some progress.
I think once you understand your limitations, once you know how much work it is required to bring your ideas to reality, it gets easier to manage your expectations.
My advice for you is this: go slow, take your time, don't expect to have your project ready anytime soon. It is hard, but, if you really want to do this, you'll keep going, learning. Every victory, success is gonna 'fuel' up your project as it goes.

Learn each language's basics;
Understand how C++ and Lua talk to eachother;
Get your hands dirty, I mean, create simple scripts, then advance a little more;
Use the search feature of this forum;
Browse TFS source code and LUA TFS scripts;
Got stuck? ask. People here a nice, smart and will help you when they see you have genuine questions.

I'll surely help whenever I can.

If you want, add me in Discord: Puppozao#7278

That is exactly the reason why i wanted to start developing my own. It was because I felt like I loved this game and always wanted to create my own with my set of ideas. When I was younger I was already grabbing distros and such and trying to craft my own. I used Phoenixia and CryingDamson.

I feel like once I get done with my college semester is when I will truly start to develop my programming skills in all honesty. (here in a few days). I feel like I can understand LUA from the scripts I look at with my own files. Looking around, I can copy/paste create my own scripts and put together basic things.
I haven't tried rushing anything. It would be pointless to try and rush it anyhow.
I love the community here, everyone is nice and helpful.

I appreciate you talking to me.
Take a look at my gitbook, should help a good amount if you're really looking to learn Lua: Introduction (https://stigmax.gitbook.io/lua-guide/)

Back