• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

host server

Elgenady

Veteran OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
i want to buy vps for my real map server.
i want cheap and good company or trusted person
what are the specifications for real map server
my server 8.60 real map

Last edited:
Depending on the size of your map, how many players and how clean are the scripts.
OVH is a good choice, you can get a vps or dedicated server.

Ello, it is a me, the annoying guy whenever anyone suggests OVH only. Today: More arguments on why not to use OVH. Thanks to a huge screw up they did.
I was actually hoping for more people asking just to bring that incident up :)
Actually just gonna copy paste my last answer about this topic and adjust it a bit.

Firstly to the resources you need. Yeah about 4GB RAM might be alright. The webserver will basically not need any, so don't worry about that. The database will, but a small server won't notice that for a good amount of time. But you will grow and you don't want to move every 2 months. That's just a pain.
You will want to look for a provider with cheap second options as well. If you grow to a respectable point, you will want to use at least 2, ideally 3 or more servers. Those should always be with the same provider. So having this look in the future is important.

Of course the definition of "expensive" varies from person to person. So maybe people here are simply rich. Or maybe the cheapest server with an expensive provider is more than enough for them even if they get 3x the resources in other places. My view is simply more critical here because the cheapest server usually can't even handle my monitoring as it is too big by now. So the terms "cheap" and "expensive" are kinda unclear and completely subjective or dependent on the individual case.

Don't only consider one provider. Take a look around and make your own informed choice.

There is the always suggested OVH on OTLand. My opinion here: Why? The only real reason I see people state is the DDoS protection. But I have the feeling people have no idea what that really is and how it works. They just blindly trust other peoples statements. Sure it might be good. But so is the protection with other providers. "I had no problem with OVH" doesn't mean you would have had a problem with others. Doesn't even mean you ever got attacked.
OVH is aimed at professional services. Open Tibia does not fit in this domain, no matter how commercialized OTs are today. It is not big enough. By far.
I have yet to see a rational argument for OVH being cheap and being the best service.
Actually the recent incident suggests quite the opposite. As datacenters of OVH have completely or partially burned down recently it asks the question why? How could this happen? Datacenters in general are barely able to burn. In case of fire they pump huge amounts of argon gas in the affected area and close it off. This way the server gets put out quickly without damaging any hardware. But in case of OVH, they have a good number of datacenters that are actually built out of containers. That was the case here as well. It is the cheapest way to operate a "building" like that but at the same time it is completely insecure and very vulnerable to for example fire as you cannot install proper protection. Such a good server provider huh?

Hetzner is definitely another one of the top providers in Europe. Mostly targeted at professional services, but also offers a great variety of servers fit for private and small/medium projects (kinda the category of most OTs). Personally, it is definitely my favorite one. I used it for years and was only forced to change because of a dispute between discord and hetzner after which discord banned all Hetzner IPs. It was a dumb child fight. Hetzner was most likely in the right, but discord had the upper hand. So yeah... that happened. 2 kids not willing to agree and punishing both their customers in the end.

There is also Contabo. I'd say mostly for private projects or clouds. It is by far the cheapest option. But there is a reason for that. They really overpopulate their VPS alot. To a point where another customer on the same hardware can influence your resources and cause high cpu wait times. This again would result in lags in Tibia. But you may be lucky. But in general I'd rather suggest it for personal projects and maybe if you have your OT in closed beta for 6 months and don't want to pay much yet. Public (semi-)professional services on the other hand can have quite the problem though due to the overpopulation on hardware.

For a few years now I have been with NetCup. Never had any problems. DDoS handling and communication with the provider due to this was great and quick to sort out. Only happened once, after that we took stricter measures and no problems since. Pretty cheap for what you get and a good management system in case you need it or screw up at some point.

But of course those are only a few. There are alot more. Some using colocation or reselling, but also alot with their own datacenters. So do your own research. Don't simply rely on some random guy on the Internet. For all you know what I say might be total bull. Just google and figure it out yourself. It's not wrong to ask for opinions or general advice, but in the end it is your decision and you should make an informed one instead of blindly believing some idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ello, it is a me, the annoying guy whenever anyone suggests OVH only. Today: More arguments on why not to use OVH. Thanks to a huge screw up they did.
I was actually hoping for more people asking just to bring that incident up :)
Actually just gonna copy paste my last answer about this topic and adjust it a bit.

Firstly to the resources you need. Yeah about 4GB RAM might be alright. The webserver will basically not need any, so don't worry about that. The database will, but a small server won't notice that for a good amount of time. But you will grow and you don't want to move every 2 months. That's just a pain.
You will want to look for a provider with cheap second options as well. If you grow to a respectable point, you will want to use at least 2, ideally 3 or more servers. Those should always be with the same provider. So having this look in the future is important.

Of course the definition of "expensive" varies from person to person. So maybe people here are simply rich. Or maybe the cheapest server with an expensive provider is more than enough for them even if they get 3x the resources in other places. My view is simply more critical here because the cheapest server usually can't even handle my monitoring as it is too big by now. So the terms "cheap" and "expensive" are kinda unclear and completely subjective or dependent on the individual case.

Don't only consider one provider. Take a look around and make your own informed choice.

There is the always suggested OVH on OTLand. My opinion here: Why? The only real reason I see people state is the DDoS protection. But I have the feeling people have no idea what that really is and how it works. They just blindly trust other peoples statements. Sure it might be good. But so is the protection with other providers. "I had no problem with OVH" doesn't mean you would have had a problem with others. Doesn't even mean you ever got attacked.
OVH is aimed at professional services. Open Tibia does not fit in this domain, no matter how commercialized OTs are today. It is not big enough. By far.
I have yet to see a rational argument for OVH being cheap and being the best service.
Actually the recent incident suggests quite the opposite. As datacenters of OVH have completely or partially burned down recently it asks the question why? How could this happen? Datacenters in general are barely able to burn. In case of fire they pump huge amounts of argon gas in the affected area and close it off. This way the server gets put out quickly without damaging any hardware. But in case of OVH, they have a good number of datacenters that are actually built out of containers. That was the case here as well. It is the cheapest way to operate a "building" like that but at the same time it is completely insecure and very vulnerable to for example fire as you cannot install proper protection. Such a good server provider huh?

Hetzner is definitely another one of the top providers in Europe. Mostly targeted at professional services, but also offers a great variety of servers fit for private and small/medium projects (kinda the category of most OTs). Personally, it is definitely my favorite one. I used it for years and was only forced to change because of a dispute between discord and hetzner after which discord banned all Hetzner IPs. It was a dumb child fight. Hetzner was most likely in the right, but discord had the upper hand. So yeah... that happened. 2 kids not willing to agree and punishing both their customers in the end.

There is also Contabo. I'd say mostly for private projects or clouds. It is by far the cheapest option. But there is a reason for that. They really overpopulate their VPS alot. To a point where another customer on the same hardware can influence your resources and cause high cpu wait times. This again would result in lags in Tibia. But you may be lucky. But in general I'd rather suggest it for personal projects and maybe if you have your OT in closed beta for 6 months and don't want to pay much yet. Public (semi-)professional services on the other hand can have quite the problem though due to the overpopulation on hardware.

For a few years now I have been with NetCup. Never had any problems. DDoS handling and communication with the provider due to this was great and quick to sort out. Only happened once, after that we took stricter measures and no problems since. Pretty cheap for what you get and a good management system in case you need it or screw up at some point.

But of course those are only a few. There are alot more. Some using colocation or reselling, but also alot with their own datacenters. So do your own research. Don't simply rely on some random guy on the Internet. For all you know what I say might be total bull. Just google and figure it out yourself. It's not wrong to ask for opinions or general advice, but in the end it is your decision and you should make an informed one instead of blindly believing some idiot.

I thank you for this (and other times I've seen you comment about this topic). This info is very useful for those that are not into hosting services and are totally lost when needing one.

+1 for OVH. Yes there's cheaper, but having recently been 'shopping around' I went straight back to OVH. The price difference is usually noticeable with the lack of or different features, so as you shop around you should take notice of why one might be cheaper than the other. and whether they have features you will utilise.

Personally i'd advise anyone to ignore merrok, he talks a lot for someone who likes to tell people not to listen to people like him on the internet. Just a guy that likes being 'right' and arguing for no reason while pretending to be constructive or whatever without any credible sources for anything he says. Just a typical troll imo.

I have been using OVH for quite some time and yeah its pretty good cost/benefit,.

But if you wanna go for something more professional and something defenatly better I would sugest you AWS. There you have a better protection of DDoS, you can run security tests agains your instance and protect yourself it has alot of nice option such as auto-scaling(if cpu/memory etc of the machine is getting to high it automaticly expand to have more resources for example) and you can also build your server in a horizontal way (it means) if something goes wrong with your machine/zone you can quickly instanciate a new machine or redirect the connection to other machine with almost no downtime.

Aws might be more expensive but as a diferent payment plans available like pay-as-you-go you, might be interesting to take a loot at it :)

I recommend

Premium SSD Offshore Hosting | Servers in Romania / USA / Moldova / Russia / Netherlands – Premium Offshore Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers and Many more at cheapest possible price. (https://legionhoster.com/)

I have been using their hosting services for the last few years. It's cheap, reliable and if your looking for a Windows host, they offer trials (120 days) before buying a Windows Key. Which is good because for $20 USD you can start with a VPS at 4gb Dual-core. Then pay the Windows Key via Donations.

The support is OK, the only downside is your waiting a bit due to Time Zones (at least for me anyways).

Back