• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

hosting on a laptop?

canaan

Reaction score
hosting an ot like 12 hours with 1 hour recess each 4 hours may harm my laptop?

Also depends on your laptop's specifications.
Honestly, as a general warning, I would not suggest it.

Red

Well if you're hosting a real map, u better have 64 bit menz, and even then, it's just gonna burn your 'top to a crisp.

Just invest in a desktop on the side (they're super cheap these days) for hosting if you don't care for dedi's...

i have toshiba 2gb to and ive hosted on this lap, but i used a couple fans and put my laptop like in an inclined way so the laptop fans have more face and the 2 other fans help cool it down.
lol it will get really hot though.

I've had my laptop on 24/7 since I bought it. It still works perfectly, aside from random dust-clogging of the vents, but that is easy to clean away.

Simple answer; Yes. It is possible to host an OT server on a laptop for an extended period of time. BUT! It is not recommended if the server causes the CPU usage to increase a lot (50 - 100%).
Laptops aren't designed to run for long periods of times at that high CPU usage (unless of course you got a laptop designed for gaming with some serious ventilation), doing so anyways may cause the laptop to shut down due to overheat, and may even damage the laptop in rare cases.

Back