• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Hosting on Vista

Blanket

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a Quad-Core comp. today to run my server on.

I copied all files to a CD, and transferred them..

Website doesn't work either..

I can run the server.

But nobody can join it..

It says it is online, but .. nobody can join it..they just get their connection timed out.

Does anybody know what else I have to do?

I unistalled Norton (Came with Comp.) all the way, and I disabled all firewalls and such...

So, if anybody knows how to run a server on vista, please let me know ASAP

Ports are still what they used to be..like if I open it on my Windows XP comp.. it will run, but not on Vista..halp? xD

Thank you,
Blanket

He doesn't need to open them if he has the firewall off.

If he has a router, then he does need to open them, even if his firewall is turned off.

Also a lot of ISP's block port 80 and 3306 by default because of some virus's that got sent around, and usually if you call your ISP they wont unblock the ports for you because it's against their policy and you have to change the ports that your Apache and MySQL servers listen on, as well as the port that your OT connects to in your OT config file.

Wouldn't be a problem, if I have my firewall off, I don't have to do a shit. And also, it depends on which router you're using, I am using a D-Link, the latest version. I just need to port forward in the router, not in the firewall.

And, ISP's aren't using to block out going and incomming traffics,(talking about the ports you said) in that case, you have to use a really sucky ISP. Anyway I've never heard of anything like that what you just said, so there are many douts about that buddy.

Its not about sucky ISP's, its about customer service and self-preservation. Almost all the ISP's of today blocks the port 25 (SMTP), why? To prevent people from using their services to send spam.

Same goes for port 80 and 3306, it can be used for malicious means, such as spam, viruses, hacking and more, and thus the companies protects themselves by blocking these ports, why? Since its bad PR for a company to have a lot of customers who send out spam, viruses and hack, cause the people wont be looking at the people doing the spam, they will accuse the ISP for beeing lazy and not preventing that from happening.

Anyhow, back on topic, my previous suggestion about windows firewall was because he said he had uninstalled norton, and by standard if you uninstall third-party firewalls (atleast on vista), windows firewall comes back on and starts blocking to the left and right.
Thus my suggestion.

For a secondary suggestion, make sure that your router didnt change your LAN-ip, since sometimes routers binds your LAN-ip to your MAC address, and if you change your network card (or computer), the LAN-ip can change too.
And since open ports is only for a specified LAN-ip, it would nullify the port-opening you did on your old server.
So check your current computers LAN-ip, and compare it to the ports which was opened in your router, and make sure they match.

Yes but, my point was, I never had any problems with that, I could manually open the ports in my router, turn off my firewall and let the server run. I guess you have a point what you just said, and I'm using VISTA too, although it sucks really bad, thinking of un-installing it. (May takr one day atleast, the components of vista should be really hard to uninstall and change operative system on and takes quite much experience compared to other operative systems such as Windows XP etc. Sorry for off-topic.

Back