• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How do mappers collaborate?

rwxsu

Computer Engineer
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
rwxsu
What is your advice on how to deal with .otbm files if you have several mappers working for you at the same time?
There has to be something better than manually having to copy the modified areas you receive.

Unless you could host a RME session online and have them use the live mapping (not even sure how buggy is that nowadays, it used to have problems saving due to the nature of .otmb files) I can't think of any other way of handling this other than what you suggested or assigning specific maps/parts for each mapper to avoid conflicts.

Yes, in our team we are using rookgaard/OTBM2JSON (https://github.com/rookgaard/OTBM2JSON) to unpack otbm file to json string. Then, if there are any conflicts (i.e. two of us made changes in close time), I can easy merge json and then recreate otbm from it again.

Edit: worth to mention, when otbm file is ~5 MB, json file is about 100-120 MB, so for real map projects its very bad solution, but for projects like mine is perfect.

Yes, in our team we are using rookgaard/OTBM2JSON (https://github.com/rookgaard/OTBM2JSON) to unpack otbm file to json string. Then, if there are any conflicts (i.e. two of us made changes in close time), I can easy merge json and then recreate otbm from it again.

Edit: worth to mention, when otbm file is ~5 MB, json file is about 100-120 MB, so for real map projects its very bad solution, but for projects like mine is perfect.
which do you think it could be a real map solution?

We used dropbox for World of Therran, and if more mappers wanted to map at the same time we used live sessions

Back