• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How Do OT Maps Work?

dday9

Reaction score
Hi y'all, let me preface this thread with the fact that I'm not sure if this thread is in the correct location or not. If not, please notify a mod to move it for me.

I'm a decent programmer, I program as a hobby and really enjoy it. I've recently created an expression evaluator that implements a lexer, then utilizes a parser which converts infix notation to reverse polish notation, and then ultimately evaluates the expression. I have also created and improved upon a 2d tile based map engine. What I'm wanting to do is look at existing examples of how 2d tile based map engines currently work and then implement them myself. I use to play tibia as well as open tibia as a teenager and thought that this would be the best place to ask how OT map engines work.

So... Could anybody shed some light for me? My main questions are:
  1. What properties do the tile class have?
  2. Is each tile saved individually or is the map simply a file with rows/columns represented by the tiles unique ID?
  3. How are multiple tiles used on the same location on the same level without causing issuse(ie: a grass tile underneath a bush tile?)
If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Back