• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How hard is it to start your own server?

Tibia Leaves

Reaction score
If this is the not correct place for this thread please Re-direct it, Thank you.

I've known about OTS, like most Tibians, for a while, however I have no experience with 'making' them.

I believe my question is straightforward with a potentially non-straightfoward answer:

"How difficult is it create your own functional OT Server for Clients from 7.4 to 7.0 or less? And if that is too advanced by anyone's seasoned rationale for a beginner, how difficult to create one that is 7.4 - 8.0? This includes so that at least I and one other person can play on it across the internet."

To help with answering this question:

• I want no ability to alter map or items in anyway, only the ability to alter rates of exp and skills.

• If it's an issue of time I'm willing to put in days. If it's an issue of some sort of coding ability I am not.

• The ability to alter monster spawns and map itself is of secondary importance.

• I would technically be interested in an option where it would be a 7.4+-8.0 server that by Map Editor I could simply delete all areas post 7.4.

That really is it, if there are certain links you know would help me I'd be very obliged. I've been looking across the internet for more than an hour now and I didn't find a single 'one-stop-shop everything you need to know Tutorial' at how to successfully and full create a functional 6.0 - 7.4 server from scratch with included resources or links for said resources (programs/files) necessary.

Thank you very much. I know you probably get threads like this regularly that annoy you but the fastest way to find my way to a solution is with the advice of a master.

cheers

you should be able to put up a functioning server in a couple of hours, then tweek it to you as you go. you know updates
Why don't you go with a 7.6 server they are much easier to setup and maintain, moor tools available, more server options.
7.4 server I have CrazyOTs, also 7.4 uses an otx file for the map
7.6 server I have 62 servers to choose from. 7.6 uses the newer map .otbm

Last edited:
7.4 server I have CrazyOTs, also 7.4 uses an otx file for the map
7.6 server I have 62 servers to choose from. 7.6 uses the newer map .otbm

Can you give me a link or a headsup where to start because "otx file" "CrazyOTs", and .otbm doesn't make sense to me....

I really appreciate you at least telling me it's possible. I'm going to try very hard.

What did you mean by "I have"? is there a place I can acquire this?

Thank you so much

Edit: I'm willing to start with a 7.6 so it is easier. Having said that the dream would be to go all the way back to 7.0 or even further.

.otx and .otbm are file formats for maps. .otx is the old one, it's literally XML, but it's slow so people made .otbm, which is a binary format, much faster but not editable with a text editor.
CrazyOTs is just a name for some OTServ distribution.

How good are you with computers? Do you know anything about programming, databases or system administration? Many things aren't specific to OpenTibia, a server is pretty much Linux, XML, Lua scripts and C++ code.
  • I want no ability to alter map or items in anyway, only the ability to alter rates of exp and skills.
  • Map: Download Remere's Map Editor, it's really good. You can edit maps with this.
  • Items: There are two files: items.otb and items.xml. items.xml can be edited with a simple text editor, where you can alter the name, attack etc. and in items.otb you can edit things like light color or sprite. You can also add new sprites to the client (tibia.spr) then do client data (tibia.dat), then server data (items.otb) then server item attributes (items.xml). Boom, new items.
  • If it's an issue of time I'm willing to put in days. If it's an issue of some sort of coding ability I am not.
  • Coding is essential, anything custom you want to do is done with Lua or in the engine with C++. But learning coding is a matter of time, soo :D
  • The ability to alter monster spawns and map itself is of secondary importance.
  • Map and spawns are actually easy to edit, like I said, Remere's Map Editor is a great tool for this.
  • I would technically be interested in an option where it would be a 7.4+-8.0 server that by Map Editor I could simply delete all areas post 7.4.
  • Deleting all areas post 7.4 is pretty much manual work in the map editor, then the scripts so a player cannot go there and stuff.

Last edited:
To Messenoire,

Thank you for responding really.

Now that I know it's possible, all I'm doing is sitting at my computer trying to figure this out.

I'm know my way around a computer, but do not know about programming, databases, or system administration besides at the most rudimentary level, like slight editing to pre-coded materials. However I consider myself capable in the way of figuring things out and learning, aka intelligent.

If it's any consolation, I would BE very much content with just a 7.4/7.6 or 7.0-7.4 server where I would alter NOTHING but exp/skill rates; even if it means altering exp tables, rates, or individually altering the exp value of monsters. I said and still say this because I understand that other alterations like map or alterations or spawn or item may be much more difficult. I am content with a functional map/server as found as long as I can alter Rates in some way and at least one other person can be on the server with me via internet.

I REALLY MEAN WHEN I SAY I AM EXTREMLY grateful for helping me. Since Ghost confirmed it's possible it's all I want to do, and if you could extend any help, telling me how, giving me links, showing me a tutorial or referencing/linking resources ---- or just plain tell me to shut-up with my assumptions and tell me how it works I would be so thankful. I'm sitting here like a fiend just trying to figure this out.

Thank you so much!

Edit: Do you need Linux? is that hard to acquire and use on a Windows System? I've used Lua's before.

The problem with Windows is the license, unless you want to host from home it's going to be expensive. Linux is free :D But most OT servers run on Windows, so you're good for the time being.

Do you want an exact replica of official servers? If so, the thing you have to keep in mind is that OTServ is just an emulator. We aren't running CipSoft's software, we are rolling our own, which is not 100% the same. Replicating CipSoft's servers is a lot of work.

Try this one: Wayback Machine (https://web.archive.org/web/20070123213813/http://yurez.ovh.org/ots/YurOTS_094f.rar)
It's not "production-ready", but great for learning because you don't need a database, and it's 7.6. Check config.lua, and all the files in the data folder. Set the IP to 127.0.0.1 in config.lua to log in. Just mess around with it!

The problem with Windows is the license, unless you want to host from home it's going to be expensive. Linux is free :D But most OT servers run on Windows, so you're good for the time being.

Do you want an exact replica of official servers? If so, the thing you have to keep in mind is that OTServ is just an emulator. We aren't running CipSoft's software, we are rolling our own, which is not 100% the same. Replicating CipSoft's servers is a lot of work.

I do not need an exact replica, I understand there could be difficulties with being so perfectionist. I am in quest of something that simply in essence is 7.4/7.6/ or 7.4 or less. Something that is the closest to the real thing while still being very manageable in the way of realization.

I'm not sure if you're advising me to use Linux or Windows, it sounds like for now Windows is ok and will allow a 7.6/7.4 server created by me.

Thank you!

Try this one: Wayback Machine (https://web.archive.org/web/20070123213813/http://yurez.ovh.org/ots/YurOTS_094f.rar)
It's not "production-ready", but great for learning because you don't need a database, and it's 7.6. Check config.lua, and all the files in the data folder. Set the IP to 127.0.0.1 in config.lua to log in. Just mess around with it!

What do you mean by Production ready, you mean by using this I won't actually be able to make the server work ultimately? If that's the case is there nothing I could sink my teeth into that has the promising of working at some point?

Thank you so much again

I tried the YurOTS.

I think the part I'm messing up on is "Create Account"

It gives me "Windows socket error: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it (10061), on API 'connect'

I downloaded a tibia 7.6 client, and I have the IP changer with Homer Simpson from the old days, just downloaded it.

to avoid problems always use up to date distributions. the website too ofc
here is an stable servers repository versions 7.7 8.6 10.x etc
othire is pretty stable and we can say that is "new" 77
and this website will work with almost any distributions old tfs, new tfs, otx, othire, and its pretty stable and up to date too

enjoy :)

to avoid problems always use up to date distributions. the website too ofc
here is an stable servers repository versions 7.7 8.6 10.x etc
othire is pretty stable and we can say that is "new" 77
and this website will work with almost any distributions old tfs, new tfs, otx, othire, and its pretty stable and up to date too

enjoy :)

Edit: It seems it does have some instructions on each page you sent. I'm gonna try to figure it out.

Really appreciate the help though. I feel like this isn't so hard. But I have no idea where to begin. I can't find a single tutorial outside of 9.6+

Edit: It seems it does have some instructions on each page you sent. I'm gonna try to figure it out.

Really appreciate the help though. I feel like this isn't so hard. But I have no idea where to begin. I can't find a single tutorial outside of 9.6+
is not hard at all just follow the compilation tutorial for windows or linux
,the website, znoteACC doesn't need instalation at all just add some tables in your server database and the website will be working

ps: the are no tutorials for compile 9.6 servers or 7.6 the servers are seens as an engine so compile a 8.6 server a nd a 10.x should be the same depending on the distribution

cheers

ps: the are no tutorials for compile 9.6 servers or 7.6 the servers are seens as an engine so compile a 8.6 server a nd a 10.x should be the same depending on the distribution

cheers

I'm slightly confused. Are you saying that each 7.6 server is it's own individual thing compared to say 10.x servers which are more cookie-cutter to each other in the way of 'coding/creating'? What do you mean by 7.6 servers are seen as an engine?

Thanks, you're really helping me figure this stuff out.

You may find some interesting content here

My tips: if you're going to pay a host for your server, try to learn the basic of Linux, otherwise you can run it on your personal windows system at home.

I'd also recommend you to use up-to-date engines (a server is basically an engine)... For the version you want, I believe "otx" is the most up to date.

If you're going to host the server at home, you may have to unlock ports 7171, 7172 and 8080 on both firewall and router.

On config.lua, insert your global ip, otherwise people from other places won't be able to connect. Search on Google "what's my ip" to get the correct one.

You may find some interesting content here

My tips: if you're going to pay a host for your server, try to learn the basic of Linux, otherwise you can run it on your personal windows system at home.

I'd also recommend you to use up-to-date engines (a server is basically an engine)... For the version you want, I believe "otx" is the most up to date.

If you're going to host the server at home, you may have to unlock ports 7171, 7172 and 8080 on both firewall and router.

On config.lua, insert your global ip, otherwise people from other places won't be able to connect. Search on Google "what's my ip" to get the correct one.

For now I'm just going to run it on my home windows. I want to keep it as simple as possible until I figure it out. But I've heard that Linux is way cheaper for hosting so maybe that's in my future

I have only the faintest understanding of 'engine' yet but it was better than yesterday when I started. I'm going to look for where this otx is. Do you know where I can find it/one?

Good to know about Port unlocking. I think I've port forwarded before. I'll have to figure that out for firewall and router. ALTHOUGH my first goal is to get up a 7.6, preferably a 7.4 server or less that simply is working and I can be in the game world. That's my first major hurdle, if I get past that I'll have a feeling of immense relief and can start tinkering on questions like how do I get others or how do I alter rates or maps or whatever.

Thanks for the config.lua advice regarding ip, I'll remember that.

Thank you for responding, it really helps. I'm gonna look at "Introduction". It's very hard at this point but if what people said here is true and I'm actually not far away from creating my own 7.4 server I'm very hungry and it's all I can think about and all I want to accomplish.

cheers for your help, please don't hesitate to give me any other advice no matter how large or small

Leaves

EDIT: The schema.sql file is missing or named something very different on uniserver from "Introduction" link. I tried server.sql and server_import.sql. I looked and looked there was no schema.sql. I used search function too.

Edit: I actually was able to successfully get up a Forgotten TFS 1.0 10.98 server. So I'm making progress. Suffice it to say that's not even close to what I want though. ;d

Last edited:
I would recommend for you to start with easier xml ots (e.g. devland 8.1/stigma2 8.1/yurots 7.6/aries 0.4.0 8.1) for the sake of making content map/monster/loot/items-wise, where you could just download and run the server, without making a database (servers based on TFS engine must have a database, where account/player information is stored, while in xml ots you just have separate folders with players/accounts).
There you can edit almost everything (also make account manually or by in-game account manager npc), except engine (a major drawback is stability of every xml engine), but it would be enough to learn and have fun playing locally with friends.

Learning xml codes would be easy for you and most of them is still useful in TFS servers.

A month ago I went from xml 8.1 to TFS 8.0 (there is no TFS for 8.1, except OTX) and I am slowly learning it by moving all functions I had before and learning add many new ones, because at xml you just have quite limited custom functionality in compare to TFS).

I would recommend for you to start with easier xml ots (e.g. devland 8.1/stigma2 8.1/yurots 7.6/aries 0.4.0 8.1) for the sake of making content map/monster/loot/items-wise, where you could just download and run the server, without making a database (servers based on TFS engine must have a database, where account/player information is stored, while in xml ots you just have separate folders with players/accounts).

SOUNDS GREAT!!!! How do I do that? What do I download? Where do I download it? Is there something I need to do once I've downloaded it?

Please do help. I've been at this for 11 hours straight.

Grateful, Leaves

Edit: I've been following the 2012 videotutorial by Znote. Everything was going great. Then at 13:53 in the video when I loaded TheForgottenServer I got an error of: " Loading database driver. Failed to connect tooooooooooooooooooobase. MYSQWL ERROR: Can't connect ERROR: Failed to connect to database. read doc/MYSQL_HELP for information or try SQL. I'm using the advised Mystic 0.2.15 Forgotten Server as the Tutorial advised. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or the 'tutorial and materials used' are outdated.

Last edited:
??? most run on windows ???
Every version of TFS and OTServ can be compiled for Windows. Compiled binaries can be found on GitHub and here on OTLand. There are .exes on the internet for any conceivable version of OTServ, Evolutions, DevLand, YurOTS, what have you. Actually I don't even know a distro that doesn't run on Windows. What is so controversial about that statement?

@topic
You need a database running on your system. TFS only runs with a database. You need to install and configure MySQL. With XML servers you don't need a database, because all the data is stored in XML files (this has major drawbacks but that's an another discussion). Pretty much what @rlx said.

The problem is, you need to know your shit if you want 200 players on there. We're telling you to use an old XML server to learn on because they're more straight forward. You can make a prototype, see how it all works, and then move to a more modern server and begin creating the "real" server.

@topic
You need a database running on your system. TFS only runs with a database. You need to install and configure MySQL. With XML servers you don't need a database, because all the data is stored in XML files (this has major drawbacks but that's an another discussion). Pretty much what @rlx said.

The problem is, you need to know your shit if you want 200 players on there. We're telling you to use an old XML server to learn on because they're more straight forward. You can make a prototype, see how it all works, and then move to a more modern server and begin creating the "real" server.

That's what I'm trying to do but I can't figure it out. I have no delusions at this point of even trying to get up a real server with a stranger player base. I only want to get up a mildly functional 7.4 hopefully, if not 7.6/7.72 server that I and my brother can play on. But STEP BY STEP. I just want to get one up, be able to login. That's all I'm shooting for, for now. If I get it up then I'll move forward.
I'm stuck on getting the actual 7.72 database? to load and combine with a TFS 1.2? I don't know, by not even knowing what I need I have no idea how to approach getting it.

Leaves

Back