• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How hard is it to start your own server?

Every version of TFS and OTServ can be compiled for Windows. Compiled binaries can be found on GitHub and here on OTLand. There are .exes on the internet for any conceivable version of OTServ, Evolutions, DevLand, YurOTS, what have you. Actually I don't even know a distro that doesn't run on Windows. What is so controversial about that statement?

@topic
You need a database running on your system. TFS only runs with a database. You need to install and configure MySQL. With XML servers you don't need a database, because all the data is stored in XML files (this has major drawbacks but that's an another discussion). Pretty much what @rlx said.

The problem is, you need to know your shit if you want 200 players on there. We're telling you to use an old XML server to learn on because they're more straight forward. You can make a prototype, see how it all works, and then move to a more modern server and begin creating the "real" server.
Apologies, I thought you meant run as in currently hosted on windows. You're correct

For now I'm just going to run it on my home windows. I want to keep it as simple as possible until I figure it out. But I've heard that Linux is way cheaper for hosting so maybe that's in my future

I have only the faintest understanding of 'engine' yet but it was better than yesterday when I started. I'm going to look for where this otx is. Do you know where I can find it/one?

Good to know about Port unlocking. I think I've port forwarded before. I'll have to figure that out for firewall and router. ALTHOUGH my first goal is to get up a 7.6, preferably a 7.4 server or less that simply is working and I can be in the game world. That's my first major hurdle, if I get past that I'll have a feeling of immense relief and can start tinkering on questions like how do I get others or how do I alter rates or maps or whatever.

Thanks for the config.lua advice regarding ip, I'll remember that.

Thank you for responding, it really helps. I'm gonna look at "Introduction". It's very hard at this point but if what people said here is true and I'm actually not far away from creating my own 7.4 server I'm very hungry and it's all I can think about and all I want to accomplish.

cheers for your help, please don't hesitate to give me any other advice no matter how large or small

Leaves

EDIT: The schema.sql file is missing or named something very different on uniserver from "Introduction" link. I tried server.sql and server_import.sql. I looked and looked there was no schema.sql. I used search function too.

Edit: I actually was able to successfully get up a Forgotten TFS 1.0 10.98 server. So I'm making progress. Suffice it to say that's not even close to what I want though. ;d

For now just get familiar with the YurOTS_094f server a bit it uses xml files, I will link you to a 7.6 with a database soon. simple and help you get started. all these people in here to help you are good advice but way too mush for you now. Guys let him experiment with basic first, throwing all this Linux things at him will just confuse him. at home windows server all you need is server, client, map editor, text editor. and a mysql editor. I will send you links to all. with detailed instructions. and I will show you the differences in the Servers. Basically they added features and updated the servers per version. 7.1 xml all, 7.6 added otbm maps much better, 8.4 added sql data - wow improvement., 8.54 added mounts more fun. 9.6 added market place now up to 11.?? but the higher you go up in server the more computer and ram you need. we will do baby steps. 7.6, 8.4, 8.54, 9.60 you can stop anywhere in between, but by the 8.4 you will know.

For now just get familiar with the YurOTS_094f server a bit it uses xml files, I will link you to a 7.6 with a database soon. simple and help you get started. all these people in here to help you are good advice but way too mush for you now. Guys let him experiment with basic first, throwing all this Linux things at him will just confuse him. at home windows server all you need is server, client, map editor, text editor. and a mysql editor. I will send you links to all. with detailed instructions. and I will show you the differences in the Servers. Basically they added features and updated the servers per version. 7.1 xml all, 7.6 added otbm maps much better, 8.4 added sql data - wow improvement., 8.54 added mounts more fun. 9.6 added market place now up to 11.?? but the higher you go up in server the more computer and ram you need. we will do baby steps. 7.6, 8.4, 8.54, 9.60 you can stop anywhere in between, but by the 8.4 you will know.
I am already working and teaching him stuff we are using tfs 0.4 7.4 for multi amount of projects :)

Back