• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How many players do you think this server could hold.

mastertassadar

Fenix OT Owner
Reaction score
With a 6.5mb download and 1.5 mb upload and these stats what do you think I could hold?

Operating system
Microsoft Windows Home Server

Processor
Intel 1.6 GHZ Atom Processor 230

Memory
1GB DDR2 DRAM

Included drive capacity
(1 X 640 GB) SATA 7200 RPM

Uchiha1.. Stop i beg of you. you'r making a fool of your self.

Processor weak.
Ram +/- depending on map size.
About 80-120 people on that connection, all-thought i wouldn't count on it.

95 MB map takes about 2 gig RAM, so I think u can host a map with a max size of 40 MB. Your internet can hold 1500 kbit/s:16 kbit/s/player. Do the maths

I quote myself.
Total amount of upload / 16kbit = Players limit by internet

Server initial usage + ~20% over time usage + 1MB / player = Ram limit

Having 100mbit and 8GB ram hosting a real map that use 2.4GB on init. The system use 500MB.

Thats:
Internet: 100mbit / 16kbit = ~1600 players.
Ram: ((8-0.5) - (2.4 * 1.2)) * 1024 = 4730 players (VERY depenable on scripts, and other programs running! This number can be cut in half just to be safe, if it's a desktop, cut it in 5...)

That means you can host 1600 players given enough CPU (do to the million types out there, I won't do any calculations on this).

Given that you might be able to host a ~40MB evo map on a light Linux. With around 100 players.

the ATOM processor will be a problem if you have problems with your scripts.

etc console errors will be rather slow with such an processor.

But if everything works perfect, you should be able to keep 100 - 120 players without any lag.

Make sure to keep a map +/- 40MB as the other says, stay away from rl maps.

Before I hosted 40 players without any lag on a 450kbit upload connection. But with 1500kbit you should not pass any higher than 150 players. Also considering Gesior takes a lot of bandwidth and will consume lag spikes. (Unless you use my gesior fix version).

The main problem is not the processor, it will hold 300 players if you handle it with care. Even on windows 2003 server edition OS. XP I would take a wild guess and say 150 - 200.

The main problem is the upload rate. You can get a big and popular server, but you need to be smart when it comes to find a way to use less internet bandwidth resources.

Avoid 10000x exp servers where players run 30sqm per sec. (example).

Xampp + Windows and you've used all your memory.

Linux + Mysql/Postgresql + PHP + Lighttpd/Nginx + TFSCMS might be a good combo.

Xampp + Windows and you've used all your memory.

Linux + Mysql/Postgresql + PHP + Lighttpd/Nginx + TFSCMS might be a good combo.

Xampp + windows xp = 400MB memory. = 600MB Free.
xampp + windows server 2003 web edition = 300MB memory. = 700MB Free.

So no, you are bigtime wrong.

xampplite = about 15 - 25MB memory usage.

On my windows 2003 server, I spend about 0 - 1% CPU resources with Crying Damson, xampp apache, sql and the os itself. Using a 2.6Ghz dual processor.

Crying Damson 3.6 with aprox 4MB map = 26MB memory.

26/4 = average 6,5MB /each mega byte. This may vary depending on map and size.

But I guess about 10MB at max each MB.

700MB free space = 70MB.

Lets safe 100MB for players logging in activity.

600MB free space = 60MB map. Possible to run, will take a while to startup, once its running it will be rather lag free as long as it is not saving the map etc.
In case of windows XP instead of server edition, 50MB map.

You do not run Vista or Win7 on a ATOM 1.6Ghz processor. Unless you are a complete idiot. If you have it, Download LinuxMint, follow the great user guide they have there. You will get a Linux Server set up in a matter of minutes. It looks like windows so you won't have any big problems with it if you follow the guides. Takes about same resources as Windows server 2003. And has a very nice GUI for people who have never seen a linux comp before.

Last edited:
It's the new version of windows server if I'm not mistaken. But I just wanna know with a custom map if it is worth it. And yes I will try the map on my computer before I buy a server but my computer has a lame internet connection. If I buy this server I would be putting it at my dads house which has the internet I talked about (1.5mb upload). So the question is, is it worth 260$ to buy this server. Here is a link to it.

HP® Official Store — Buy the HP MediaSmart Server LX195 direct from HP

And I don't want to hear thats not the price it is listed for... I know that.

dell.com then if you wanna customaise the computer you can like add ram and HD, CPU and all and its a low time to get it home.

How many players can I old WITHOUT laggs?

Internet :
Upload : 1,7-2.0 Mbit/s
Download : 12-17 Mbit/s

Computer Specs :
System : Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
RAM : 2 GB DDR2.
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo 2,66 GHz

Server Info :
War Server, 1/1 characters and some customs
Map : Donno, but around 10 MB?

Back