• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How many ppl can I host?

Ezzz

Developer of Nostalrius and The Violet Project
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello, in 10 days I'll run a semi-dedicated server, on which I plan to get very few first donation and save for a dedicated server and make my server grow bigger!.

My computer specs:

Intel i5-3570k @ 4.4 Ghz
8GB Ram 1600 Mhz
500GB HDD

Internet Status:

4096 Download Stream = 512 kb / second
768 Upload Stream = 96 kb / second

My server is a custom made server, on which feels RPG, no big hunting areas, no super fast killing areas, no huge line NPCs, something like slow but you advance quick, and things like a dragon shield has no value at all, something to have fun at.

Please tell me :3

Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and get your upload/download speed.
Take the upload speed you get and multiply it by 1000, then divide the resulting number by 8.
Divide the final result by 1.5
Round down the number to the nearest ten.
That is how many players on average you will be able to host without lag.

This of course assuming the connection is dedicated to the machine.
If you use the connection for other things such as browsing, playing games, watching youtube, downloading torrents, the number will drastically decrease.

Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and get your upload/download speed.
Take the upload speed you get and multiply it by 1000, then divide the resulting number by 8.
Divide the final result by 1.5
Round down the number to the nearest ten.
That is how many players on average you will be able to host without lag.

This of course assuming the connection is dedicated to the machine.
If you use the connection for other things such as browsing, playing games, watching youtube, downloading torrents, the number will drastically decrease.

(I know this isn't the best, but the situation here in Venezuela is not exactly the best).

0.96 Mbps according to SpeedTest.

0.96 * 1000 = 960 / 8 = 120 / 1.5 = 80

- - - Updated - - -

Bump~

Can someone else corroborate the given info?.

Your math is correct. Each player uses between 1 and 2 KB/s in upload/download, so you use the average of 1.5 and round down to the nearest ten as a sort of "breathing room".

Back