• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to - Basic bridge

Siramix

CEO
Senator
Premium User
Reaction score
Hello mappers!

Today I'm going to give you some tips and tricks on how to create a simple but yet stunning bridge for your very own custom map.
First of all, let us get familiar with the different kind of material we could use for this. Actually, I like wooden columns the most when building a basic bridge.
The wooden column sprites has a great balance to all sprites and they resemble the medieval architecture.

These are the different kind of wooden column that exist, which I'm usually using when building a basic bridge. Note that the left and the right angled columns are two sprites connected to eachother:

CV9Gyu7.png

I'm not going to give you the ID's of all the sprites but I will give you the ID range of them, and you will most likely find them all between there.
The ID's: 5321 - 5331.

These sprites can be used with almost any kind of ambient, but especially with an ordinary VANILLA NATURE STYLE.
Meaning that it fits very well as a bridge between an ordinary gray mountain filled with grass and blooming flowers.
But first of all, let us start to think about structure. We want our bridge to look stable enough to avoid a total collapse!

So let us build two fairly rocky mountains with a gap between them where we will build the bridge in.
When this is done, make sure to place your first supporting bridge columns somewhere close to the mountain so that they are connected to eachother.
Pretty understandable and logical eh... Something like this!

gk61gKq.png

From here we can judge if we need to support our bridge with even more columns. For me, I'm good.
This gap is not very large and therefore we do not need to support our bridge a lot more, however I am going to show you how to solve this problem if your gap is a little larger than the one I originally made.
But first let us continue with the size of the gap we got now. Next up is the walkover. Let us first of all make a railing, safety first boys and girls!
When the railing is there, put some decent floor and BANG, your basic bridge is done. However, it's a little narrow and not very long and majestic like we imagined?
This is how my little half-shady bridge looks like:

EzE3BLa.png

Let us make something out of this, which can be something very nice. We need at least 3 squares width, right? Who wants to throng on a crowded bridge.
It has to be wide and have space, so let us expand the bridge and the mountain 3 extra squares!
Also for some proportions purpose we need to expand the bridge on the length as well, to make it more slim, to avoid the simply BAD LOOKING BRIDGE.

When you're done expanding your bridge and mountain, let us fix the structure.
Because we actually expanded the bridge but we did not add any more supporting columns, we need to do that fast before the bridge collapses.
I personally like to add just like a little archway in the middle of the whole bridge which will support it up more than enough.
This is how my expanded bridge looks like, a lot more spacey and also more stable now right??

IZfRlnN.png

Now we're talking, a very very stable structured bridge! What can we do with this to enhance it a little bit? Cause as it is now, meh. Kinda boring right?
Well, let us do some surroundings to see what we have to do with the actual bridge to make it look good. I'm adding some vanilla nature style around with some grass, flowers and bushes. But you do what you want of course!

Also to add that little EXTRA detail to your bridge, add a little bannerholder in the middle of the bridge to flag your own work.
Put a banner of your own choice, but this banner is the one I like the most! SIRAMIX BANNER!

84y8jb9.png

So, it's as easy as that. The only thing I think is important when building something is that the structure should be somewhat logical to real life.
I mean you want the bridge to look stable and secure, you also want it to look attractive, for the eye, which means not too overdetailed but yet detailed. This is a balance that a lot of people have hard to find.

Practice makes perfect!

Sincerely,
Siramix!

Last edited:
In 'real life' people would go around that hole :p, not build a bridge over it xD. Neat bridge though :v
It was an example how to build a strong and stable bridge, this tutorial was not about the surroundings, you can do it however you like it, just made it to show how it looks on an overpass. Thanks tho! :)

Back