• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

HOW TO: Install and use Mumble & Murmur! (Open Source alternative to skype, ventrilo)

Znote

<?php echo $title; ?>
Staff member
Global Moderator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
Znote
I might update this tutorial with images and stuff later.

What is Mumble?
Mumble is a voice communication program. Like teamspeak, ventrilo, skype.
Mumble have a much faster response time than ventrilo, teamspeak 2, (a little faster than teamspeak 3), and skype.

It is open source, meaning it is totally free, server and client. This also means there is no limits.
(Free Skype and ventrilo has a cap of 8 slots?). Mumble is unlimited.
Mumble is much better at detecting what is noise and what is speech than Skype.
Has 3 options: Continious transmit (records all the time), transmit speech only (only transmit when you speak) and the classic ventrilo (push to talk key).

Mumble is really awesome. It has an awesome audio wizard witch helps you reach your microphones best potential. You can adjust how sensitive it shall be to noise, and speech. You can configure it to transmit really fast. Mumble is a lot faster than teamspeak 2 and ventrilo.

Getting the client:
You can download the client here: Mumble
When you install the client, there is an audio wizard, you should NOT RUSH yourself through it. Take good time, because this wizard will help you adjust your microphone to its best potencial.
(Like configurating how sensitive it shall be to noise and speech) for an example.

Thread RC1 done.

Mumble = Client. We use Mumble to connect to a Murmur server.

One of the big pros with murmur, is that is is so much faster than etc ventrilo, and this also makes it very sensitive to performance. Meaning, it is highly recommended to use it with Linux and not Windows. However, it is possible to run murmur server on both.

Installing Murmur on Linux Ubuntu Server 10.04

First you need to install some sort of package to give your box greater compatibility:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

Then:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:slicer

then:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install mumble

then/alternative:
sudo apt-get install mumble-server

Then a simple configuring wizard: (password to admin user etc is set here)
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mumble-server

Writing these commands, you have downloaded the required things.

Now its time to edit the configuration file:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/mumble-server.ini

use ctrl + W and search after these lines, one by one:
Code:
welcometext=
port=
serverpassword=
bandwidth=
users=
registerName=

Uncommented and/or set a value to them. I changed the port from default to 7355.

then, ctrl + O to save, and ctrl + X to exit.

Then you just write "murmurd". In command line, it will look like you get no reaction, but it started. Its a silent starter. :p
Now, everything should be working. :)

Installing Murmur on Windows:
When you download Mumble (the client) during the installation, it will ask you if you want to also install the server. Do so.
All you got to do now, is to make sure that you have modified mumble-server.ini file. Witch you can locate at the place where you installed Mumble (and Murmur).

Then, the standards, firewall, routing has to be taken care of.

Connecting to the murmur server with Mumble:
Start mumble, when you get to the server panel (sorted by country) you can click on "Add New..."
server name: pick a random name that you think suits the server.
Address: The IP where the server is hosted.
Port: The port it is running.
Username: Your desired username on the server. Choose whatever you like.

Last edited:
No comments? :p This is way better than ventrilo/teamspeak! :S

Just copy pasting my tutorials commands from top to bot, modify port number in config and you are practically done and ready to go online. Easy, unlimited users. Great voice quality, faster speech transfer than ventrilo/teamspeak.

i dont need to use it right now. maybe when i get a large community on my server. i think this could almost be sticky since its free and a good alt way to go like u said. hopefully too ppl will make integrations into modernaac too. with this and the already sticky-ed threads people will have everything they need to run a server from start to finish.

Thanks for posting this. If I can convince guildies to switch over from Vent then I'll give it a whirl.

Back