• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to make a quest, and have it show in the quest log.

erinsx

Princess of the Internet
Reaction score
I did this for TFS 1.2

It is a very simple quest! My quest is called Benji's Plans, that's what I'll show you here.

First: the NPC. Make a file called Benji.xml in /data/npc/ and add this.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<npc name="Benji" script="benji.lua" walkinterval="0" floorchange="0">
    <health now="100" max="100"/>
    <look type="151" head="17" body="54" legs="114" feet="0" />
    <parameters>
        <parameter key="message_greet" value="Hey! Want to {chat}?"/>
    </parameters>
</npc>

Next, Benji's LUA! make a file caled benji.lua in /data/npc/scripts and add this.

Code:
local keywordHandler = KeywordHandler:new()
local npcHandler = NpcHandler:new(keywordHandler)
NpcSystem.parseParameters(npcHandler)
local talkState = {}

function onCreatureAppear(cid)     npcHandler:onCreatureAppear(cid)     end
function onCreatureDisappear(cid)     npcHandler:onCreatureDisappear(cid)     end
function onCreatureSay(cid, type, msg)     npcHandler:onCreatureSay(cid, type, msg)     end
function onThink()     npcHandler:onThink()     end

function  creatureSayCallback(cid, type, msg)
   if(not npcHandler:isFocused(cid)) then
   return false
end

local talkUser = NPCHANDLER_CONVBEHAVIOR == CONVERSATION_DEFAULT and 0 or cid
  local player = Player(cid)

if msg == "chat" and player:getStorageValue(12555) ~= 1 and player:getStorageValue(12555) ~= 2 then
    selfSay('Can you {help} me adventurer? A bunch of orcs and minotaurs and bonelords jumped me, and ran off with my ship building plans!', cid)
    talkState[talkUser] = 1
    end

if msg == "help" and talkState[talkUser] == 1 then
    selfSay('They ran off south and went underground. Could you get my {plans} back for me? You will be rewarded!', cid)
    talkState[talkUser] = 2
    end

if msg == "plans" and talkState[talkUser] == 2 then   
    player:setStorageValue(12555, 1)
    selfSay('Okay, you are looking for a hole in the ground to the south. It should have a sign next to it! good luck!', cid)
  talkState[talkUser] = 0
  end     

if msg == "chat" and player:getStorageValue(12555) == 1 and player:getStorageValue(12555) ~= 2 then
    if player:getItemCount(ItemType(7702):getId()) > 0 then
    player:removeItem(ItemType(7702):getId(), 1)
    selfSay('You got it! Thank you so much! Take this special backpack as a reward.', cid)
    player:addItem(ItemType(2365):getId(), 1)
    player:setStorageValue(12555, 2)
     talkState[talkUser] = 0
    else
       selfSay('Not found my plans yet? I see. Take your time and do your best.', cid)
    talkState[talkUser] = 0
    end
    end

if msg == "chat" and player:getStorageValue(12555) ~= 1 and player:getStorageValue(12555) == 2 then
    selfSay('Thank you so much for helping me! It means a lot.', cid)
  talkState[talkUser] = 0
    end
  return true
end

npcHandler:setCallback(CALLBACK_MESSAGE_DEFAULT, creatureSayCallback)
npcHandler:addModule(FocusModule:new())

Note the unique storage ID i am using for this quest, 12555. You can use whatever you want, as long as it hasn't been used before.

Next, your prize chest. In my quest, Benji asked that you bring him back his ship plans, so along with some other prizes, those are in there too.
The ActionID of the chest MUST be 2000 to work as a quest chest.

6SsjVTt.png

The next part will make it show up in the client quest log.

Open /data/XML/quests.xml, and add:

Code:
<quest name="Benjis Plans" startstorageid="12555" startstoragevalue="1">
                <mission name="Find Benjis Stolen Plans" storageid="12555" startvalue="1" endvalue="2">
                        <missionstate id="1" description="You have been sent to find Benjis stolen ship building plans." />
                        <missionstate id="2" description="You have found Benjis plans and returned them!" />
                </mission>
    </quest>

This will register in the quest log when you have accepted the quest, and when you have completed it.
All you have to do now is place Benji, and the prize chest on the map!

Here is how this quest works:
Benji asks you to get back his ship plans.
If you agree, storage value 12555 is set to 1, and the quest has begun.
If you talk to Benji during this time, he will mention that you haven't yet found his plans.
Once you have found his plans, return to him, and he will take the plans, give you a Backpack of Holding in return, thank you, and set storage id 12555 to 2, which will register in the quest log that it is completed.
Any time you attempt to talk to Benji after completing the quest, he will simpy thank you for your help.

Sorry if this is a mess, or useless information, but i thought some might find it useful!

Thank you for sharing this!

It's very simple, yet very important feature. I feel a lot of people will benefit from this. :cool:

Last edited:
nice, you should put more other examples like, talking to an npc, kill a certain boss, use a lever, or something, theresalot of possibilities hehe

Back