• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

TFS 1.X+ How to run private server only for friends

Berciq

Veteran OT User
Reaction score
Hey, I have almost everything UniserverZ for windows, TFS 1.3, Znotess acc maker, which works, basically everything.
I can run my serwer, play on it, with characters and monsters. and here comes the request for help:

I wish to host for free, by myself, only to play with close friends so no dd attack prediction,
It could be run by LAN or wifi. We just wish to play without costs, together,
1 What do i need to host it? i use IP changer to change into my IP
I don't want to make real server and not publish it (it cost too much for me). I just want it to be able to play offline, without internet, just through LAN when my comuter is on and i turn on server.
2 What other players need? only client version and ip changer I'm i right?

I read few articles but they all focused on things i have already working, i just need to make playable for other friends.
Can someone help me with final push to realize it? All other things are probably configured well as i can play it by myself and create new accounts

Well you will need everything a usual OT needs to run as well. A database, a webserver, etc.
The difference is that you can bind your OT and your webserver to your internal ip (192.168.x.x) so noone outside your network is able to reach it.
Since you are on Windumb you will need to configure your firewall accordingly as well to give people access to the services and the required ports.
Your pc should be strong enough to host it without any problems but I don't think that will be a problem with just a few players anyway.
The players still just need the Tibia client and an ip changer yes.

Aslong as you are on the same network it wont be a problem, send me a pm and i can teach you how to set it up

Isn't it easier to pay 3$ monthly for a ssd vps on OVH which can host it for 24/7 :D
Not everyone can deal with linux. Given that OP is using Windows I'd assume Linux may be taking it a step too far for him.
That being said everything you need is just the Client & IP changer. Give your internal IP to your friends and you are good to go.
Port forwarding through the firewall can be required, however I've experienced cases where it just worked from the get-go. Anyway shouldn't be much of a problem :)

Not everyone can deal with linux. Given that OP is using Windows I'd assume Linux may be taking it a step too far for him.
That being said everything you need is just the Client & IP changer. Give your internal IP to your friends and you are good to go.
Port forwarding through the firewall can be required, however I've experienced cases where it just worked from the get-go. Anyway shouldn't be much of a problem :)
There's a bunch of tutorials out there on OTLand, nearly anyone can start dealing with Linux, + even you will learn one more operative system to use who knows, maybe you will need it in future :p

Okay, I recieved help from Himii
Getting my ipv4, putting this into ipconfig and from now on this ip should work for every pc in my network that want's to join

I read about linux versions before starting to configure my server but i decided windows.
Now when everything works on windows i don't feel in need of linux :)

I'll try solution soon and post here if it worked, this is what felt: there is just little to do to make it work and i'm delaying it on purpose rather than just try :) thanks all for help

There's a bunch of tutorials out there on OTLand, nearly anyone can start dealing with Linux, + even you will learn one more operative system to use who knows, maybe you will need it in future :p

For just running it in my local network at home I'd perhaps even go windows for the sole reason that I don't want to dual boot my PC and Windows is my (and most desktop users) standard operating system. I do have two more laptops that could act as a linux server but if OP only has one PC and Windows is the standard operating system he'd need to switch to linux just for the sake of hosting with linux and then play Tibia on Linux because the PC needs to be always on as the server is running on it too.. Too much a hassle. Ofc I could also run it in Virtualbox bridged with a linux box but naaah..
Back in the days I would just host it locally on Windows too (before I got into linux). It's fine.

For just running it in my local network at home I'd perhaps even go windows for the sole reason that I don't want to dual boot my PC and Windows is my (and most desktop users) standard operating system. I do have two more laptops that could act as a linux server but if OP only has one PC and Windows is the standard operating system he'd need to switch to linux just for the sake of hosting with linux and then play Tibia on Linux because the PC needs to be always on as the server is running on it too.. Too much a hassle. Ofc I could also run it in Virtualbox bridged with a linux box but naaah..
Back in the days I would just host it locally on Windows too (before I got into linux). It's fine.
Why should he hold Windows PC turned on 24/7 when he got the same thing for 3$ month

Why should he hold Windows PC turned on 24/7 when he got the same thing for 3$ month
I thought his idea was to not to let it run 24/7 and instead only turn it on when he and his friends are playing. Hence the PC would be turned on anyway. 3$/mo = 36$ + taxes wasted a year. If you already have a VPS, sure, go for it. But buying one extra for this. Nah.

I thought his idea was to not to let it run 24/7 and instead only turn it on when he and his friends are playing. Hence the PC would be turned on anyway. 3$/mo = 36$ + taxes wasted a year. If you already have a VPS, sure, go for it. But buying one extra for this. Nah.
If we are looking into the money he will spend electricity + PC Radiation which isn't good for life lul

If we are looking into the money he will spend electricity + PC Radiation which isn't good for life lul

I said, however, that the PC would be turned on anyway as he would be playing the game on the same PC he would be hosting the server. Thus it doesn't make any difference to that extent.

It will probably be few days per month that is why I don't want to pay monthly :) thanks for helping Budex, I understand that this will not be free eitherway when it comes to energy bill but as Damon said pc will be working anyway ^^

I think i'm a bit afraid that everything works on windows and i don't want to spent any more time on setting server in different enviroment. It cost me much time to prepare serwer as i was complete (well still am) newbie in programming and it all was method of trial and errors and then asking for help in forum :) still got things that doesn't work as I wish but works almost fine. Anyway playing on my Rookgaard is such a pleasure for me, one i haven't for long time in rl Tibia Rook... pity that i personally know each secret and method to solve riddles =D

Enjoy the nostalgia. It's alright. When you want to host it online or learn linux go for it. Right now though save you the headache and host it on your windows pc. "Never change a running system". Simply the truth.

People exaggerate how hard setting up a server on linux is. People are just afraid of anything that doesn't come with a GUI.

Anyway;
Introduction (https://docs.otland.net/ots-guide/)
Too bad that Introduction starts with, oh yeah, Install xyz on Windows. Followed by: How to do this on Windows...
Not mentioning that it is by far not finished and completely outdated.
So far barely anything is worth reading in that "Introduction"...
I thought about editing it and adding a few things, but decided not to after all since noone seems to really care.
If you wanna teach people anything, do it right. Yeah it might be great for servers in lan only that runs a few days per month, but not for an actual ot.

1. Too bad that Introduction starts with, oh yeah, Install xyz on Windows. Followed by: How to do this on Windows...
2. Yeah it might be great for servers in lan only that runs a few days per month, but not for an actual ot.
1. That's exactly his question
2. That's exactly his question

1. That's exactly his question
2. That's exactly his question
Never said he shouldn't host it on windows for his own private use ;)
Just saying that the guide will not tell you everything and is outdated.
As well as not fitting for real hosting. (Which is beside the point in this topic)

Never said he shouldn't host it on windows for his own private use ;)
Just saying that the guide will not tell you everything and is outdated.
As well as not fitting for real hosting. (Which is beside the point in this topic)
So didn't I, just said people should stop being afraid of CLI.

He asked "how to run ots for friends", on windows and I referenced a source on how to do so. I'm not getting your point.

Either get on topic or get out lol.

Back