• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

I am a novice: Is the essential checklist to get a functional 7.4 server up?

Tibia Leaves

Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

For a functional 7.4 server I need: (Preferably the easiest way to accomplish this)

• a 7.4 'engine'
  • Staples like IP-Changer, 7.4 Client... Not Uniserve? or, YES Uniserve?
  • IF I want the RL Maps, even if they're not perfect, I must find them and then somehow add them.
  • IF I want to customize or create a map from scratch I CAN use RME newest version?

To be included: I understand Tutorials are out there. But unless the tutorial is very thorough, and pristine in smoothness of understanding and explanation to a novice they're simply too much; and this has been my experience with tutorials thus far for the last 3 days. That is why I'm asking this in this manner. I'm trying to compartmentalize the broadest of necessities for the creation of a functional 7.4 server.

Thank you so much, this board has helped me immensely. I've thus far created a working 10.98 thanks to Klonera and a working 7.6 YurOTS thanks to Rlx. Hail Community!

Leaves

You download engine ( not many on 7.4 only known is othire,(not sure if these are 7.72 or what check githubs) otx , avesta ( most bugged)
next up is getting it ready (set up SQL and website via XAMPP on windows or (apache and mysqld on linux)
then you add 7.6 map ( yes 7.4-7.72 is mostly 7.6 working map anyways)
then you start it up
fix ALL quests with text editor editing .lua scripts
check if the map has any client-crashing bugs
fix minor and major shit around like npcs not selling/buying stuff
Fix c++ flaws within engines e.g fields do no damage to monsters on step etc
edit config.lua and data/xml for sql server to adjust rates and shit

• a 7.4 'engine'
  • Staples like IP-Changer, 7.4 Client... Not Uniserve? or, YES Uniserve?
  • IF I want the RL Maps, even if they're not perfect, I must find them and then somehow add them.
  • IF I want to customize or create a map from scratch I CAN use RME newest version?
*static.otland.net/ipchanger.exe khhh khh or edit IP ADDRESS OF EXE WITH XVI32 :) look for MAP_WIDTH i believe it is somewher after it
if by adding a map you mean drag it from the other folder and name it properly in config lua then yes( as long as it is same version as the server e.g 7.6-7.72)

Man,

I just don't get the point in flooding the forum with barely useful threads when you break all of your progress by facing a single error or problem, you don't even try further or have the patience to wait until someone helps you out on that. spending over 50 or even 100 hours on setting up some messy open tibia server is way too less to make anything "playable".

You're talking about customizing maps from scratch, then from real maps with working quests and monsters, ip changers, clients, webservers and now it's the third day I see just threads that can rather be deleted due to not having a proper reason to stay around wasting a few kilobytes of space.

Old protocols are extremely hard to be fixed so it runs the way it was back in the day, it requires you over months of hard work, if you cannot really get anything to run then just stick to newer versions as you said you could run one yesterday. You will not find anything ready to run out of the box with a pristine tutorial that will be injected into your brain or a script that sets up everything for you on itself.

If you don't take time to learn how to deal with computers then you're probably not going to get any far running any kind of game-server.

Just a quick reminder: This isn't a reply to make you quit or get you mad, if you're up to actually learning how to do stuff you can come and talk to me on private, I'm up to letting you know what stuff you should get your head on in order to at least get something to run, I just felt that you're not going anywhere spending 20 hours a day smashing your brains on something you don't quite understand.

Sincerely
Okke

I just don't get the point in flooding the forum with barely useful threads when you break all of your progress by facing a single error or problem, you don't even try further or have the patience to wait until someone helps you out on that. spending over 50 or even 100 hours on setting up some messy open tibia server is way too less to make anything "playable".

You're talking about customizing maps from scratch, then from real maps with working quests and monsters, ip changers, clients, webservers and now it's the third day I see just threads that can rather be deleted due to not having a proper reason to stay around wasting a few kilobytes of space.

Old protocols are extremely hard to be fixed so it runs the way it was back in the day, it requires you over months of hard work, if you cannot really get anything to run then just stick to newer versions as you said you could run one yesterday. You will not find anything ready to run out of the box with a pristine tutorial that will be injected into your brain or a script that sets up everything for you on itself.

If you don't take time to learn how to deal with computers then you're probably not going to get any far running any kind of game-server.

Just a quick reminder: This isn't a reply to make you quit or get you mad, if you're up to actually learning how to do stuff you can come and talk to me on private, I'm up to letting you know what stuff you should get your head on in order to at least get something to run, I just felt that you're not going anywhere spending 20 hours a day smashing your brains on something you don't quite understand.

Sincerely
Okke

I understand you're just trying to help, and you mean no ill-feeling.

This is the best way I know how to learn without having someone teaching me 'in person' one on one. By doing this I've actually made a great amount of progress PLUS have got some people to genuinely help me towards real ends.

In my experience with learning new things you save a lot of time by asking directly what it is you're trying to solve then by piggybacking on other people's similar problems in the past. To that end I'm going directly after I want: a 7.4 Funtional Semi-RL Map with Monsters and the ability to alter rates, hopefully a couple of NPCS, and hopefully a couple of quests.
I understand that it is difficult, but I also believe that it could be mine shortly (and that includes I don't do everything on my own; they're seems to be a kind of hoarding attitude with servers/engines/codes/maps/scripts et cetera --- which is by fundamental laws of economics, ecology, and political science a sure way to bring ruin --- LET ME BE CLEAR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE HELPED ME, including you, HAVE BEEN IMMENSELY HELPFUL AND SELFLESS AND I HAVE NOTHING BUT GRATITUDE, however on the whole while there is an air of comradery, others seem absolutely driven to not share they're work. I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm saying it's a recipe for weakening a given ecosystem.)
I'm trying here to figure out what exactly is ahead of me if I am to complete my goal and then evaluate if it meets the time I'm willing to put in; it's very important to understand what I can actually expect.

I'm not a fan of coding, and I understand that is a direct contradiction to what I wish to accomplish but there it is. However I care more about a viable accomplishment of what I want then doing something I don't find enjoyable.

I do appreciate you trying to set me straight in my expectations.

I ALSO WOULD ABSOLUTELY love to talk to you on a more private level to see what you can teach or show me.

Thank you for replying so much, and your feedback

Leaves

Last edited:
I understand you're just trying to help, and you mean no ill-feeling.

This is the best way I know how to learn without having someone teaching me 'in person' one on one. By doing this I've actually made a great amount of progress PLUS have got some people to genuinely help me towards real ends.

In my experience with learning new things you save a lot of time by asking directly what it is you're trying to solve then by piggybacking on other people's similar problems in the past. To that end I'm going directly after I want: a 7.4 Funtional Semi-RL Map with Monsters and the ability to alter rates, hopefully a couple of NPCS, and hopefully a couple of quests.
I understand that it is difficult, but I also believe that it could be mine shortly (and that includes I don't do everything on my own; they're seems to be a kind of hoarding attitude with servers/engines/codes/maps/scripts et cetera --- which is by fundamental laws of economics, ecology, and political science a sure way to bring ruin --- LET ME BE CLEAR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE HELPED ME, including you, HAVE BEEN IMMENSELY HELPFUL AND SELFLESS AND I HAVE NOTHING BUT GRATITUDE, however on the whole while there is an air of comradery, others seem absolutely driven to not share they're work. I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm saying it's a recipe for weakening a given ecosystem.)
I'm trying here to figure out what exactly is ahead of me if I am to complete my goal and then evaluate if it meets the time I'm willing to put in; it's very important to understand what I can actually expect.

I'm not a fan of coding, and I understand that is a direct contradiction to what I wish to accomplish but there it is. However I care more about a viable accomplishment of what I want then doing something I don't find enjoyable.

I do appreciate you trying to set me straight in my expectations.

I ALSO WOULD ABSOLUTELY love to talk to you on a more private level to see what you can teach or show me.

Thank you for replying so much, and your feedback

Leaves
you dont actually need any coding skills to be able to do stuff such as :
quest
npcs
itemActions
altering rates
making a map
hosting server
however you do need skills to
Fix bugs
debug
bug the game before someone else does it
know why your server crashed

Man,

Sincerely
Okke

I was gona say dont discourage but then again there is importance in threads like this maybe next Newbie will just read through all those instead of posting another thread :)

#pls mergepost

We all start somewhere, and it's not all that complicated to get a solid distribution hosted online, if you have a decent understanding of computers.

You probably wont get many players with a "download and run" server though, so you will have to learn your way around the basics of how it all works, and then at least learn enough lua to make some new stuff. :)

Having said that, this place is not very user friendly for COMPLETE novices. You have to do a ton of research and practice to get started from the very beginning.

Keep doing searches and mess around with stuff. The best way to learn is to make a backup of what you're working on, then go in and try something and break it. Then figure out why you broke it.

I'll be happy to answer questions you have (provided you have done your research first!). Be warned that noone here is gonna spoon feed you and build your game for you!

Also I'd like to add: if you have the determination, you CAN learn this stuff. Tibia OTS have taught me more about programming than the 15+ books I've read on the subjects

You probably wont get many players with a "download and run" server though, so you will have to learn your way around the basics of how it all works, and then at least learn enough lua to make some new stuff. :)

I feel like I have a pretty good holdo on lua. I understand how to play with it and use it to my advantage at the most basic level. I'm struggling with how to balance --- Engine, Xampp/Uniserve, phpAdmin, TFS, then client and IP changer to finish, ALL AS ONE. How to properly combine it. I feel like I'm trying to sew different body parts together or make Legos and Knex into one monolith of byte-sized biscuits. So I'm improving but it's really tough, and REALLY frustrating -- Because I KNOW it's on the tip of my fingers and I'm just missing one or two extremely simple fixes.

you dont actually need any coding skills to be able to do stuff such as :
quest
npcs
itemActions
altering rates
making a map
hosting server
however you do need skills to
Fix bugs
debug
bug the game before someone else does it
know why your server crashed

THIS is what I'm hoping. I want to have SOME 7.72 - 7.4 server with SOME BASIC ability to alter SOME things. And ONCE there push forward by trial and error where needed. I just need to GET IT, and I have NOT gotten it yet; though I feel I'm close. That's why I asked someone for some one on one time, because I feel like I need a math teacher over my shoulder saying 'you forgot to carry remainder, besides that you're good'.

Thanks EVERYONE!

Leaves

dont-feed-troll.jpg
discouraging new users we will never again have golden times in tibia if all newbs die we all started somewhere.

Back