• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Idea] New Items File

Create new type of item file?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will answer after making a prototype

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Luiz Vitor

Reaction score
What do you think about creating a new kind of file. Otb is too messy.
I know we would have to change all sources, but it is a step to the future.

-We should use only in new servers
-Join current xml and otb in a special file we need a special program to edit
-Faster

It is just a very basic idea. I need to know if you want in order to improve it.

What do you think about creating a new kind of file. Otb is too messy.
I know we would have to change all sources, but it is a step to the future.

-We should use only in new servers
-Join current xml and otb in a special file we need a special program to edit
-Faster

It is just a very basic idea. I need to know if you want in order to improve it.
This sounds messy tho, special program to edit? ._.

As posted by @Mark on GitHub:
.otb wasn't created by me, so I don't know the official reason. However, I can give you the reasons why I continue to maintain it:
1) .dat is a proprietary format.
2) We don't want to infringe on copyright.
3) It connects server ids to client ids in an unobtrusive way. You can customize your items.xml as much as you want and you don't have to worry about client ids, you can just replace the .otb file and your server is ready to serve clients from the client version the .otb file is for without any changes to items.xml.

Imagine having to update client ids in items.xml for every item in an update. You'll probably need a tool for that, and if you have to create a tool for that, we might just as well leave it as-is and let people like you who need to modify items.otb improve the item editor/create a new tool to solve your "pain in the ass" experience.

https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/issues/1085

I would be more interested in seeing some documentation for the otb standard(looking at source files helps but does note really count) so that people could update it.

Also, @Mark I wanted to ask, How is the OTB updated and why hasn't it been updated yet? If people are just short of time I'd gladly do it, only if I knew how to.

Back