• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows In need of a Windows Expert?

Extrodus

|| Blazera.net ||
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey there I am in need of a programmer/developer's help to get my server stable.

I currently use trunk 3884 x64 bit w/ war system, and everything can run smooth for a day or two; then the program will randomly crash and a window will pop up "The Forgotten Server has stopped working." and it gives an APPCRASH. Wangsta has given me a .exe/dll's he said would work great, and I shouldn't experience more than 2 crashes a month. Yet I do experience crashes everyday, so it must be other files or my computer.

Usually there is no error on the console, but very rarely I will get random boost errors like this one I screened:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1290/erroral.png

If you think you could help me get this stable, I will greatfully pay you since I've been working for over 8 months trying to get rid of the random crashes.

Some info on the server: It's a real map, it needs to be x64 bit compiled to run, The map has been trimmed down to 99MB and uses the official 3884 items.xml/.otb as recommended by many on the forum for stability, I've also removed lots of creaturescripts/actions/globalevents to try and stop the crash. But if its something to do with the boost libraries on my computer, it may not even be the scripts.. since I still experience it. I also installed all my Windows Updates and downloaded .net Framework 4.5.

So if you can help, let me know.. I've tried everything I could think of/found in thread.

P.S. - I know I need the debug file but the .exe recieved by Wangsta doesn't have error reporting enabled. ;\ Sorry.

Has anyone tried linux with this problem and can confirm stability, or is it just another "guess" that people give.

Maybe you can have this problem in linux too because it seems that is a boost library problem.

I don't know why (experienced) people says to use linux instead of trying to fix the problems in windows.

Linux > Windows

- open source (any developer can fix bugs, improve things et cetera).
- stability, runs most processes faster than Windows, less crashes.

When asking Wangsta (TFS Developer of OTLand) I got told that 3884 doesnt have MSVC project files; so I cant make a debug log.

Windows related error.

Linux will fix the problem, however you can run your server in 'Windows Server 2003 Compatibility mode'

Never heard of MinGW, but first Im giving what Synthetic_ said a shot, since that's the easiest solution. If I still get frequent crashes, I will investigate MinGW since I have no clue what it is. Thank you for the help guys, I'm sure this will help fellow OTLanders! P.S. - I heard the main solution is - Linux. so, I might just have to start building a side computer to put linux to run my servers with ensured stability. Thanks again folks!

Never heard of MinGW, but first Im giving what Synthetic_ said a shot, since that's the easiest solution. If I still get frequent crashes, I will investigate MinGW since I have no clue what it is. Thank you for the help guys, I'm sure this will help fellow OTLanders! P.S. - I heard the main solution is - Linux. so, I might just have to start building a side computer to put linux to run my servers with ensured stability. Thanks again folks!

I switched my server over to Linux (Debian) a few days ago, Diath helped me set it up but once you get everything installed its really easy. Server load-up time went from 10~20 seconds on windows to 3 seconds on Linux. Cleans were 10 seconds on windows and about 1-2 seconds on Linux. I'd never go back to Windows after using Linux.

I want to take a minute to thank you, everything seems to be running good! I havent had a crash since I changed it to use stability for Windows Server 2003. Uptime: 16 hours and 20 minutes. If I wake up tomorrow and there no crash, it will be a for sure thing that the stability has improved. Normally I reach around 12-14hours, and have to deal with a crash.. crossing my fingers ;D

I was looking at Ubuntu to host on for Linux, is Debian better? Ubuntu looked nice and sleek with low pull, I'm looking up Debian preview videos on YouTube to check it out. I assume you recommend Debian or does it matter as long as its a up to date version of linux?

Note: I cant find any Tibia server related info on YouTube like I found on Ubuntu. I found a video for Ubuntu that showed a guy getting a server ready to host on it. Looked nice, heres a link - I was thinking of DLing this OS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1O50Q7ft1M

I guess the Linux distro doesn't exactly matter, however I was suggested Debian and I know of other people who used Debian, so thats why I chose it. Ubuntu also has a GUI version so it would probably be easier for you to use that.

Alrighty, awesome. I might start with Ubuntu and work my way into Debian, Linux sounds so much better than Winblows. Thanks again <3 :)

Back