• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

IPv6 Server

xValhallax

Reaction score
Is it possible to open a server only with an IPv6? Since i dont have a unique IPv4 and i cant forward ports.

Just wondering.

Also, i didnt manage to even join OT Servers, it says Account name or password is incorrect. Likely because my ports arent open.

Is it possible to open a server only with an IPv6? Since i dont have a unique IPv4 and i cant forward ports.

Just wondering.

Also, i didnt manage to even join OT Servers, it says Account name or password is incorrect. Likely because my ports arent open.

Assuming the server your attempting to host is using TCP, not only is it possible, it should work seamlessly.

The IP layer comes lower on the OSI networking model, and TCP is in the next (transport, 4th layer). It won't prevent you from having to open/forward ports anyway...

Just wondering.

i can bet 2 cents (i am poor yes.) that you have a IPv4 but just your IPv6 is being "preferred" by your router/internet service provider

i can bet 2 cents (i am poor yes.) that you have a IPv4 but just your IPv6 is being "preferred" by your router/internet service provider
exactly this^
i have an ipv4 but i have ipv6 enabled in my router
ipchicken.com gives your ipv4

I do have an IPv4, but my ISP prefers IPv6 and only works with that.

What happens is, i cant open IPv4 ports, because my ISP doensnt provide me with an UNIQUE IPv4, since there arent anymore numbers left to distribute and IPv6 should take over.

I tried putting my IPv6 as the IP number for the server and it didnt work.

What happens is, i cant open IPv4 ports, because my ISP doensnt provide me with an UNIQUE IPv4, since there arent anymore numbers left to distribute and IPv6 should take over.

Not trying to be pedantic but rather educate: you probably mean a static IP address rather than unique. This means that you have a dynamic IP address right now (and I suppose you are trying to host on your own home computer server), and that this ip changes every once you reboot your home router.

If this is the case, you are able to do whatever you want with your ip (dynamic or static) and your LAN (local area network, which begins from your home router to whatever devices you have behind it, say your server computer).

This means you can absolutely control which ports are publicly accessible and forwarded from your home router to your server computer.

In any case it might be useful to know your current configuration (and on that note, this thread belongs on the support forum) so any of us can help further...

What he means is that he doesn't have a public IPv4.
His ISP is probably running out of IPv4 addresses and providing IPv4 access with a carrier-grade NAT (Carrier-grade NAT - Wikipedia).

You can try to find a VPN service that offers port forwarding OR get a VPS and do it yourself (can be a bit tricky).

What he means is that he doesn't have a public IPv4.
His ISP is probably running out of IPv4 addresses and providing IPv4 access with a carrier-grade NAT (Carrier-grade NAT - Wikipedia).

You can try to find a VPN service that offers port forwarding OR get a VPS and do it yourself (can be a bit tricky).

I see. You're probably right, and if you are, this actually sucks for OP :/

Seconded on "get a VPS". It's the rightful way to host a server if you are actually going public.

Don't use NO-IP to, use DYNU, there you can use your IPV6 Adress and players will not have problem to acess your server. I'm using it, and is working well.
BUT, always a BUT, ONLY people who have IPV6 will be able to connect in your server, who still have the old IPV4 wont.

I will be coolest, i'll give you the step by step how to do it:

1° open CMD (Windows+R) and type ipconfig;

2° get your IPV6 adress as show in the img:
2nav2i9.png

3° open your modem page and get your IPV4 adress, the one that the ISP don't let you open ports:

358zczt.png

4° go to dynu.com create an account, and create a DDNS as I did:

2iadg9d.png

Doing that, and opening the ports as you always did with IPV4 should work.

OH, I forgot, in your config.lua, you should use the IPV4 adress, as usual.

Back