• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Is CIP behind OT?

Sinth

Argardh.com
Reaction score
A friend believes this to 100%. Personally, I'm a bit sceptical, to say the least :p But hey, let's try the idea out..

Did the original CIP-team get enough dough to fill their families pockets and then released OT to give something back to the gaming-community and fans they for years had negleected?

We all know there was and still is a lot of hatred towards CIP for doing this, that, and all the rest. To me, the personal experience, is that they had an awesome game but destroyed it to make a profit(Doing all to please the majority of NON-players instead of caring the ones they had). In their right, ofcourse, as they for years worked really hard without payment. And this "experience" or view of CIP is not exactly hard to find, especially not among OT-players.

But what if the "hacking" of their server and files was a bullshit story to let their creation try its wings on its own and to give something back to the hardcore fans that Tibia has had since day 1?

First argument against this is ofcourse that OT is making them lose a lot of money. But do they only care about money? And IF they did(Cared only about money, hated OT, etc), couldn't or WOULDN'T they do more to stop OT? I mean, with a big team and huge resources, how hard could it have been to strangle it at its birth? The files were "stolen" during 7.7? Or what version more exactly? Did the OT-community and it's huge numbers of productive members make Remeres, TFS etc for all following versions and this was a 1 time event?(That CIPs own files leaked).

Spare me comments about this being a stupid subject, just play with the idea, or don't.. :)

Surely I cannot be the only one who WANTS the creating-gods of this game we all love to be good-guys? :p

Any historic info about the "hacking of CIP" or anything related would also be On-Topic and very appreciated!

A friend believes this to 100%. Personally, I'm a bit sceptical, to say the least :p But hey, let's try the idea out..

Did the original CIP-team get enough dough to fill their families pockets and then released OT to give something back to the gaming-community and fans they for years had negleected?

We all know there was and still is a lot of hatred towards CIP for doing this, that, and all the rest. To me, the personal experience, is that they had an awesome game but destroyed it to make a profit(Doing all to please the majority of NON-players instead of caring the ones they had). In their right, ofcourse, as they for years worked really hard without payment. And this "experience" or view of CIP is not exactly hard to find, especially not among OT-players.

But what if the "hacking" of their server and files was a bullshit story to let their creation try its wings on its own and to give something back to the hardcore fans that Tibia has had since day 1?

First argument against this is ofcourse that OT is making them lose a lot of money. But do they only care about money? And IF they did(Cared only about money, hated OT, etc), couldn't or WOULDN'T they do more to stop OT? I mean, with a big team and huge resources, how hard could it have been to strangle it at its birth? The files were "stolen" during 7.7? Or what version more exactly? Did the OT-community and it's huge numbers of productive members make Remeres, TFS etc for all following versions and this was a 1 time event?(That CIPs own files leaked).

Spare me comments about this being a stupid subject, just play with the idea, or don't.. :)

Surely I cannot be the only one who WANTS the creating-gods of this game we all love to be good-guys? :p

Any historic info about the "hacking of CIP" or anything related would also be On-Topic and very appreciated!
ofc not. I remember a guy in 1999 or 2002 I believe someone worked hard to get a working "private" tibia server. And he/them/she succed.

ofc not. I remember a guy in 1999 or 2002 I believe someone worked hard to get a working "private" tibia server. And he/them/she succed.

Yeah? Well I think I myself had some sort of server or something you could host, but you could only login and create items/walls with a GM/demon-char item by item.. I didn't do much mapping back then :p This was 5.0 I think, about 99-02? So there was OT before the hacking?

There were many attempts at creating OT's before the files were hacked in version 7.4
They were all terrible remakes and none of them were worth playing.
The damage formula's were all terrible, and of course there were bugs galore.
When the files were copied from their database during a server move, that's when real OT's were born, and it's worked very well since, due to a lot of hard work.

Now the above information is simply hear-say from over the years, but this is about as accurate as it's gonna get.

The person who ripped the files from Cipsoft was sued after a 4 month investigation, however the damage was already done and the original files were uploaded all over the place.
A couple more lawsuits brought some sites down that were hosting the files, but more kept popping up.

Beyond the initial 7 months, the only lawsuit that took place was against .. can't remember for the life of me.. RealOTS, I think the name was, however the server just up and vanished and no information about the lawsuit, or if there ever was one came to light.

Yeah? Well I think I myself had some sort of server or something you could host, but you could only login and create items/walls with a GM/demon-char item by item.. I didn't do much mapping back then :p This was 5.0 I think, about 99-02? So there was OT before the hacking?
ugh, I feel so young. Year 99 I was not even born yet.. :(

There were many attempts at creating OT's before the files were hacked in version 7.4
They were all terrible remakes and none of them were worth playing.
The damage formula's were all terrible, and of course there were bugs galore.
When the files were copied from their database during a server move, that's when real OT's were born, and it's worked very well since, due to a lot of hard work.

Now the above information is simply hear-say from over the years, but this is about as accurate as it's gonna get.

The person who ripped the files from Cipsoft was sued after a 4 month investigation, however the damage was already done and the original files were uploaded all over the place.
A couple more lawsuits brought some sites down that were hosting the files, but more kept popping up.

Beyond the initial 7 months, the only lawsuit that took place was against .. can't remember for the life of me.. RealOTS, I think the name was, however the server just up and vanished and no information about the lawsuit, or if there ever was one came to light.

Cool. So that's why we see someone using the name RealOTS now? :p

ugh, I feel so young. Year 99 I was not even born yet.. :(

Can't see how a sad smiley can follow such a statement <-- Means i'm old? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
is CIP behind OTS ?
answer is no :: how did i know that ?
well in 03/03/2013 i sent an e-mail to CIP support asking them to buy source 8.60 from them
and this was my message

Code:
Hey CipSoft GmbH
You may know about the own tibia servers that every one do them

so i wonder if there is a way to buy a fully good source from you
i need source of client 8.60

if it's possible just send me replay and tell me how much this source will cost?

i am ready to buy it at anytime

feel free to tell me anything .

and the answer of reply that they sent to me
Code:
Deat Tibia player,

We are sorry to tell you that buying a source isn't possible and about servers you told us about.

We don't have any responsible or own them.

You should know that the only site for our game is
http://www.tibia.com

Kind regards,
Your CipSoft Team

so i don't think they even care about OTS

is CIP behind OTS ?
answer is no :: how did i know that ?
well in 03/03/2013 i sent an e-mail to CIP support asking them to buy source 8.60 from them
and this was my message

Code:
Hey CipSoft GmbH
You may know about the own tibia servers that every one do them

so i wonder if there is a way to buy a fully good source from you
i need source of client 8.60

if it's possible just send me replay and tell me how much this source will cost?

i am ready to buy it at anytime

feel free to tell me anything .

and the answer of reply that they sent to me
Code:
Deat Tibia player,

We are sorry to tell you that buying a source isn't possible and about servers you told us about.

We don't have any responsible or own them.

You should know that the only site for our game is
http://www.tibia.com

Kind regards,
Your CipSoft Team

so i don't think they even care about OTS

Well, the "hack" is a bigger fake than this e-mail, so, it's not valid as proof against the hack being fake :p Thanks for sharing though, pretty cool! I wonder if they ever recieved e-mails and offers from some big companies.. that's an interesting subject aswell.

I believe that the Open Tibia started by players themselves.

However, there was a lot of inside issues in CipSoft somewhere around the update when the hotkey system was released. They had different visions of where their game should be heading and if I remember right, almost all of their employees quit their job in CipSoft and moved to other companies. Only a few stayed in different parts of the design team. Some of those former employees may have opened their own servers with OT data, but I doubt that even if they are professional programmers, alot of other people also possess the same kind of skills and knowledge to develop and OT server. We may even handle OT programming better than them, since the whole OT structure is way different, than the system which CipSoft uses to run their servers. So if a CipSoft member would like to run an OT server, they would probably have to start from learning all the things like any other programmer here.

Would be a nice to play on a Cip member's server, though :)

"11. When you first saw the files, were you surprised by anything? Did you expect anything to be or not be there?

I was surprised that spells were hard coded into the game rather than configurable. Same for formula’s, runes, etc. It meant that Cipsoft had to recompile and deploy a new version of the game server every time they wanted to make a change. For me it made things very tedious to edit."

Very interesting reading, yes.

As they are actively hosting an OT right now, this thread comes in new light.

tibia.com is just another generic OT, like a baby baiak now. Sadly, very few people cares about the old tibia days, or hard gameplay servers with mysteries and rpg content.

Only pvp was better back in old days, thats it
Tibia now is 100x better in all ways lol

Back