• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Is reliable to work on a server right now?

Cypher

TwinkSoft Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys, I wanted to know if still reliable to work on a server and launch it on a dedicated host. I have always loved open tibia servers and everything that includes, because of this I have studied computer science. But with the time I didn't have enough time to continue focusing on this world, but I have been nostalgic these last weeks and I might be working on a server to launch the best I can. Right now I can afford a dedicated server to host the server, also I can spend time working on maps and trying to get an stable TFS.

I don't want to get money out of this, I would really work on this because I think it is funny and I enjoy everything related to open tibia servers, but I don't want to invest and lose my money in a server. All I would need is a server that can be mantained itself, is this still possible in 2021?

If the answer for this is: yes, then which type of server you think I should work on? Maybe a fully custom server with low-mid rates, a real map based server with low-mid rates, a custom server with high rates?

Please let me know what you think about this, thank you!

Any server can be stable if you put the work in.... Depends if you want to do any work.

Any free distros you download will require some amount of work....

Yeah, as I said I have the time and the knowledge to work on a server. Anyways the development would take some time, because I would love to have a custom map.

Yeah, as I said I have the time and the knowledge to work on a server. Anyways the development would take some time, because I would love to have a custom map.
so yeah is realiable as a hobby or part time / seccondary "job". cuz the donations wont me too many but there always will be some

so yeah is realiable as a hobby or part time / seccondary "job". cuz the donations wont me too many but there always will be some
Great to know, so I think it could work and mantain itself right? I don't expect to get any money out of this, but I don't want to lose money either. Anyways I know at least some months I will have to invest and pay it myself, but I hope the players will donate after a certain period of time and that will keep the server up.

Thank you all for replying

Why don't you start from VPS? It take much less money and is enough for all your needs at the beginning and time before launch. I opened my server several times at very early stages of development and in total it was opened for 9 months during which I was enjoying making new content, fixing bugs and optimizing tons of features while having fun just playing it solo or with other people.

Imo making your own custom server basing on Yurots map may be quite good, this map still get attention today. "Easy" way to enhance it - download tons of available maps, research them, take best part of them and fuse into something new.

I totally agree with sentence "make the server you would like to play on" - think about it and take your time developing it.

Thank you all for the suggestions and the comments!

I have already began with the development, until I have some good progress on the server once I have it ready for a testing stage I will be hiring the VPS following rlx suggestion so people can join and do some testing. I might be hiring people to help me testing, but right now I'm thinking of making it public.

I am not a programmer or studied computer science.
I am a pharmacist and i adore working and learning about this world.
Try to work and have fun with your work :)

Back