• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Is the dark theme selection good enough?

Don Daniello

/root
Staff member
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
There's a new dark style option on the forum. You have to manually select it if you want to use it at the bottom-left of the page or at this link: Style chooser (https://otland.net/misc/style)

We now have a total of two dark styles:
  • Very Dark Black - found by @Amiroslo
  • Very Dark Blue - modified by @River KA from the "Very Dark Black"
There's a good chance that both will survive future updates and upgrades of our forum software but nothing is ever guaranteed with that.

Last edited:
@Don Daniello I just realized that links are just white text with the Very Dark Black theme. Which makes it non-obvious when you hide a link in some text like: this thread. It's fine in the Very Dark Blue and Default themes.

The themes were edited and now there are new updates to them, which if I install them, the "edits" will be gone. The updates potentially solve some of the problems. If you know how to edit XenForo styles and would like to help, we will take fixes.

The themes were edited and now there are new updates to them, which if I install them, the "edits" will be gone. The updates potentially solve some of the problems. If you know how to edit XenForo styles and would like to help, we will take fixes.
Why not use GitHub, or similar, to track changes? Then you could easily apply updates and keep the edits.

I downloaded the theme you uploaded and tested changing links to white text. Not the best, but I would argue it's a good alternative for now until something better is proposed:
XML:
<property property_name="linkColor" group_name="color" title="Link color" description="Basic hyperlinks on standard background colors will use this style" property_type="value" value_type="color" depends_on="" value_group="link" display_order="1000" addon_id="XF">
-    <value>"rgb(196, 194, 194)"</value>
+    <value>"rgb(255, 255, 255)"</value>
</property>

Why not use GitHub, or similar, to track changes? Then you could easily apply updates and keep the edits.

I downloaded the theme you uploaded and tested changing links to white text. Not the best, but I would argue it's a good alternative for now until something better is proposed:
View attachment 35473
XML:
<property property_name="linkColor" group_name="color" title="Link color" description="Basic hyperlinks on standard background colors will use this style" property_type="value" value_type="color" depends_on="" value_group="link" display_order="1000" addon_id="XF">
-    <value>"rgb(196, 194, 194)"</value>
+    <value>"rgb(255, 255, 255)"</value>
</property>
I think if they were additionally underlined, it would be even better

This is the version from 2019-02-11 for XF2.1. If anyone wants to update the diffs we had from our version I posted earlier, I can apply that.

Attachments

• style-XF2.1-Default-Dark.xml
    25.5 KB · Views: 4 · VirusTotal
I think it's kinda annoying that the links are the same color as the text. Making <a> tags darker would be better imo.

(Only on Very Dark Black theme btw)

Edit; just saw this was said be4, mb.

Love the dark blue theme the most.
The markup colours for CODE tags burn my retinas though.

Maybe keep the CODE tag consistent across light and dark? stock white background and stock colours?

8VCWmst.png

Can I suggest making links a different colour, other than white?
Maybe yellow to match the otland logo?

Theme: very dark black

Can you upload the current theme files to github and we can contribute changes to it?

Edit: just seen that this was already requested multiple times and the answer was to upload the theme to a trial XenForo...

Last edited:
Back