• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Java != JavaScript

Kind des Donner

take care of your friends
Reaction score
This is just a new thread within the world wide web about the differences of Java and JavaScript.

Java:
The main difference is you can programm complexes games and also programmes as for instance Open Office Writer (as far as I know this programme has been written with Java) using Java. The well-known smartphone OS Android has as main programming language Java, too.

-type- object oriented programming language
Read more about Java (programming language) at Wikipedia.

JavaScript:
Well, with JavaScript you can write complexes games, too but you shouldn't do that. JavaScript is a script language and not a programming language as Java is. An other script language is LUA. Script languages are used for small applications. JavaScript is solely used for the webdevelopment!

-type- script language
Read more about JavaScript at Wikipedia

While JavaScript is still an often used script language on the web and has been extend by libraries such as MathJax or jQuery and Ajax, Java applets left the Webarea almost fully.

I hope this thread helps to understand the difference between Java and JavaScript and nobody mix it up again.

Old news.
By the way, technically every scripting language is a programming language. Yet every programming language is not a scripting language.

An other script language is LUA.
http://www.lua.org/about.html said:
"Lua" (pronounced LOO-ah) means "Moon" in Portuguese. As such, it is neither an acronym nor an abbreviation, but a noun. More specifically, "Lua" is a name, the name of the Earth's moon and the name of the language. Like most names, it should be written in lower case with an initial capital, that is, "Lua". Please do not write it as "LUA", which is both ugly and confusing, because then it becomes an acronym with different meanings for different people. So, please, write "Lua" right!

It's simple: they are not the same because they are called different. Woooh.

"Old news." Oh, yeah you're right. My first sentence does not mean the same.. : "This is just a new thread within the world wide web about the differences of Java and JavaScript.".

Ah, just gtfo and post either the complete content of about.html or nothing... The first part of about.html is answering what is lua. You have copied the part "What's in a name?". And yes, you're right that lua has more than one meaning but I thought it was clear that I am talking about the programming/scripting language.

PS: I am sorry I didn't linked to the thread why I've created this thread. Here you've the link:
http://otland.net/f294/java-php-select-options-onchange-145966/

Back