• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

jOTS - Distributed Open Tibia Server written in Java

trou

ot revolution is comming
Senator
Reaction score
jOTS

The core of opentibia OTS have been written several years ago and is a little bit outdated. It's even not able to use mutli-core CPU's efficently.
Time to change it...
Here comes the jOTS.
This software is going to be released in alpha stage (under some open source licence, possibly MIT), when it will be capable of logging in and performing some simple actions.

Project roadmap: JOTS - JAVA OPEN TIBIA SERVER
Concept:
jots-concept.png

LoginServer IP: 37.59.41.13 Port: 7171
(It just shows account name and password as Character Name/ World Name).

Feel free to flood it, only if you will report me any errors.

Development started yesterday so feedback would be appreciated.
Some screenshots:
Screenshot from 2012-06-30 19:01:26.jpg
Screenshot from 2012-06-30 19:01:30.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2012-06-30 18:38:20.jpg
    Screenshot from 2012-06-30 18:38:20.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 160 · VirusTotal
  • Screenshot from 2012-06-30 18:38:41.jpg
    Screenshot from 2012-06-30 18:38:41.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 121 · VirusTotal
Last edited:
oh, u r using otclient but making it playable in java?!

He's making a server in Java instead of using C++, he's just using otclient to show it

Good luck with your project, as a fan of Java, I'll follow it, hope it'll get somewhere :)

Will you eventually make it open-source?

Good project, I wish you best of luck. Kornholijo created one in C# and we have a C++ one, gogo every language?

@Fallen this is not just "wanna have java ot".
I'm trying to do something more. I wish one day jots could be distributed among instances of Amazon Cloud and players from Africa, Americas and Europe could play together without such latency they're experiencing nowadays.

Each 'gameserver' will comunicate to each other to serve same world.

jots-concept.png

I dont know anything about java, this will make servers better? Or only will maje the sources in java instead of C++?

I dont know anything about java, this will make servers better?
It's worse in Java if programmed "as well" as in C++, as you use Java's runtime environment which C' does not need at all.
But as he has stated: the current TFS server isn't coded 'that great' (in my opinion as well, and documented horribly/not at all often).

Good luck, and really focus on stability. If you can make your core working flawless, it might beat TFS rapidly.
The simple reason TFS isn't being re-coded is because it's a huge load of code, so will this Java based server be.

I'll follow this, sounds interesting.

I dont know anything about java, this will make servers better? Or only will maje the sources in java instead of C++?
Java is better than C++ in one thing - this language is OOP (object-oriented programming) in 100%. Anyway, C++ don't using any runtime environment, so it's fasten than Java.

he means that if both programs are programmed at the same level of "being well programmed", then C++ is better then Java since Java uses JRE, while C++ doesn't

but the current C++ server source is a mess, so a java server would end up being better then C++ one IF its programmed correctly

-----------------------------------------------
lets just assume these values for the sake of argument

Java Performance: 50% - 10%(from JRE)
C++ Performance: 50%

C++ is better then Java because of the cost of running it in the JRE, but lets say:

Java Performance: 80% - 10%(from JRE)

Java would be better, because even with the JRE cost, it would still run better then the C++ one

he means that if both programs are programmed at the same level of "being well programmed", then C++ is better then Java since Java uses JRE, while C++ doesn't

but the current C++ server source is a mess, so a java server would end up being better then C++ one IF its programmed correctly

-----------------------------------------------
lets just assume these values for the sake of argument

Java Performance: 50% - 10%(from JRE)

C++ is better then Java because of the cost of running it in the JRE, but lets say:

Java Performance: 80% - 10%(from JRE)

Java would be better, because even with the JRE cost, it would still run better then the C++ one

The JRE performs exceptionally well and C++'s increased performance does not make it a "better language" or any more suitable for this project.

I'd be more worried about the Java language choice because it's a terrible language to program in. You must be masochistic to use it voluntarily.

The JRE performs exceptionally well and C++'s increased performance does not make it a "better language" or any more suitable for this project.

I'd be more worried about the Java language choice because it's a terrible language to program in. You must be masochistic to use it voluntarily.

Well I was really afraid when I went first time to my university and they said Java will be main language there but now I can see some good sides of it.
Not only me, because even League of Legends servers are written in Java.

Java was used to be slow. Now it developed a little bit and usualy is something like 30% slower than C++ but you don't have to spend so many time on debuging of applications.

There's that joke:
(Knock knock)
-Who's there?
-.... (10 seconds later) Java

(Knock, knock)
-Who's there?
-C++! (immediately)

-Knock, knock
-ASSEMBLER!

But writing such big application in assembler would be real pain in the ass :p

Back