• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Let's just make something

messenoire

Reaction score
What's up.

We see a whole lot of really cool, unique servers in development (if they ever get to run is an entirely different matter), often huge, huge projects. They have maps bigger and better than the actual Tibia map, insanely good scripts and systems, the whole nine yards. We also see a whole bigger lot of... generic stuff. That's cool too, and while I don't reaally enjoy these, I can see why people like them so much. We see this, we see that. It's great that people take this stuff seriously and professionally. Whatever. Point is, times are good. This game is so damn old, yet we still have plenty of good quality, more-or-less stable OT servers to play on.

But what the fuck happened to the small, obscure, home-hosted OTServers? No, I don't mean the close-to-stock Evo 8.0 exp x500 whatever with teleports and super ferumbras spawn. These were shit.
I mean the cool ones. These always were so fun to play on. Maps were small but interesting, the player base was low but active, and nobody cared the half of the shit didn't make any sense.

Could we start a new golden era for those? Maybe not. But I say fuck that noise.

Let's just make something. Anything. I'm pretty sure there guys here who would like to fuck around with some archaic, obsolete OTServ distro just to make something cool. See where it goes. Host it for however it makes sense and move on. Just like that.

So, who's up?

PS: I could post it in the "Jobs" section but I didn't, because it's also kind of an open letter to the OT community. Go and make a shit OTS. People are missing 'em, yo.

did u ever play Infernal OT or like winter wonderland and like Hells OT or hells map or whatever..

No, neither of them. I don't really know what you're talking about, read my post again.

dont really understand it? what i got out of it u were looking for the old servers that had popularity that died off and were looking for those servers to get back and going..

I'm hosting my server from home computer. I believe it will blow up if more than 20 ppl gets online at the same time.

I remember those times, I guess this era was around 2007/2008. Nobody cared about quality because every OT could be fun. But I guess those times are over and will not return. What is indeed bugging me is that people start developing projects which takes years to publish them but do not start basic and develop it with time. Right now is the best time to start a custom RPG server and people just dont do it even though they could be launched already. There is a huge lack of innovation but no one is making use of this lack. Personally, I would love to create a server myself but I am neither a mapper nore a scripter. Furthermore, I dont really have the time because of my studies. I would love to play an OT which is custom, professional and not a TP server but kinda sticks to the old real Tibia concept. Tibia was full of myths and adventures. I would really like to see that back...

There is a huge lack of innovation but no one is making use of this lack
hm? you haven't looked around much then. As I can see you joined yesterday too.
There is more than 10 very unique online custom servers out there. Just open discussion board and start scrolling trough pages.

hm? you haven't looked around much then. As I can see you joined yesterday too.
There is more than 10 very unique online custom servers out there. Just open discussion board and start scrolling trough pages.

I guess you are right there, but maybe I have explained myself a little bad here. Yeah there are custom servers but if you compare it to the amount of Evo, Real, etc. servers there are not very many. Ten is indeed a lot for these days but it is by far not the top. What happened to all the projects which died during development? Why not sell them or share them with people who would finish them? Why do people dont keep it simple like they used to? And honestly I cannot find more than ten unique and popular servers... Maybe I am a little bit too tired haha :)

I guess you are right there, but maybe I have explained myself a little bad here. Yeah there are custom servers but if you compare it to the amount of Evo, Real, etc. servers there are not very many. Ten is indeed a lot for these days but it is by far not the top. What happened to all the projects which died during development? Why not sell them or share them with people who would finish them? Why do people dont keep it simple like they used to? And honestly I cannot find more than ten unique and popular servers... Maybe I am a little bit too tired haha :)
Probably because the owner thinks he will continue it somewhere in future.
Maybe he developer spent so much time on project and doesn't think we deserve the datapack.

Probably because the owner thinks he will continue it somewhere in future.
Maybe he developer spent so much time on project and doesn't think we deserve the datapack.

I had the same thought and it is fully understandable that they dont do it but it would be an improvement (probably).

when my server gets online here in the next week or 2 i will let u guys know.. its ran from home and my very own pc like my old server Infernal OT was... i had about 70 players on that at all times non afk.. im working on a real map custom with no tps and just basic war system with low exp... that will take u atleast a week of rpg straight for a decent level.. this server has been worked on for about 10 months now and i know will take off once i release it. i have over 40 players and guildies waiting for me to release it.

I used to host a server long long ago and people used to love it because it was different from the rest. It wasn't anything special, just a custom map, not the best like some maps you see in the showoff forums here, but I guess it had a good balance and composition.

I can't remember the reason why I stoppted hosting it, I guess because I just couldn't handle all by myself and didn't find any trusty partner to codevelop/handle it. Also the server was limited to like 30-40 players, else it would lag.

I've been toying with it since, adding more map, quests, systems etc... The server is now so big that I would need a real host, web page and some staff/GM/moderator just to being able to run it. I've been able to beta test it a bit all this years with some close friends but thats it.

I used to host a server long long ago and people used to love it because it was different from the rest. It wasn't anything special, just a custom map, not the best like some maps you see in the showoff forums here, but I guess it had a good balance and composition.

I can't remember the reason why I stoppted hosting it, I guess because I just couldn't handle all by myself and didn't find any trusty partner to codevelop/handle it. Also the server was limited to like 30-40 players, else it would lag.

I've been toying with it since, adding more map, quests, systems etc... The server is now so big that I would need a real host, web page and some staff/GM/moderator just to being able to run it. I've been able to beta test it a bit all this years with some close friends but thats it.

I remember that HalfAway had a hosting service for free if you had a good custom project.

Two huge points on things that have been said.

First of all, in response to "Just release your server and work on it after it is released".
Most developers see "release day" as make-or-break for their game. MMOs require people ONLINE to make them interesting and fun, so you need a playerbase.
Which is why, when you start your game, you need enough content, and enough polish so that players will stick around and regularly play. Because players ARE part of the content.

Second, about hosting servers from your home.
If your server gets ANY kind of popularity, it someone will pay to DDOS it, and not just once, it is all the damn time.
So if you are ok with literally having no internet at your home half the time, sure, run your otserver from your house.

Two huge points on things that have been said.

First of all, in response to "Just release your server and work on it after it is released".
Most developers see "release day" as make-or-break for their game. MMOs require people ONLINE to make them interesting and fun, so you need a playerbase.
Which is why, when you start your game, you need enough content, and enough polish so that players will stick around and regularly play. Because players ARE part of the content.

Second, about hosting servers from your home.
If your server gets ANY kind of popularity, it someone will pay to DDOS it, and not just once, it is all the damn time.
So if you are ok with literally having no internet at your home half the time, sure, run your otserver from your house.

I am not saying to release it unfinished. Of course you should have enough content but what if you work on a server for three years then release it and no one likes it? Isn't that a too high risk? No offense I am just trying to discuss.

I can see where @Bredaase is coming from. I remember the old OTS that were hosted from your own computer at the time. Because at that time, OT servers weren't as huge as they are today. I myself am slowly but surely working on my own OTS and which in case will take some time to be able to have up and running due to the fact it is a fully customized map.

One thing I do like doing from time to time is have friends log onto it and just check it out and that right there makes someone excited for what isn't at the moment and what it could be at the end.

Anyways, rant over ^^

Cheers,
Jal~

I can see where @Bredaase is coming from. I remember the old OTS that were hosted from your own computer at the time. Because at that time, OT servers weren't as huge as they are today. I myself am slowly but surely working on my own OTS and which in case will take some time to be able to have up and running due to the fact it is a fully customized map.

One thing I do like doing from time to time is have friends log onto it and just check it out and that right there makes someone excited for what isn't at the moment and what it could be at the end.

Anyways, rant over ^^

Cheers,
Jal~

Exactly! Like if anyone cared about mapping or bugs back then those were like the most funny parts when you could walk through walls etc etc :D Those servers really had something individual and were very personal. But I guess those times are over and we have to live with it

I am not saying to release it unfinished. Of course you should have enough content but what if you work on a server for three years then release it and no one likes it? Isn't that a too high risk? No offense I am just trying to discuss.

Well the issue is, people started wanting to make more custom OTs, so we have to customize TFS and sometimes the OTClient to be able to add new features not previously available in tibia.

Even if your game fails, you still have the additional features.

I will always have better AI, an Aggro system, customized light features and day/night cycles, monsters able to open doors, go up/down stairs, and so on available for all upcoming servers.

We aren't just developing tibia servers anymore, people are designing brand new mechanics and adding them into the game to create something new and exciting.

Well the issue is, people started wanting to make more custom OTs, so we have to customize TFS and sometimes the OTClient to be able to add new features not previously available in tibia.

Even if your game fails, you still have the additional features.

I will always have better AI, an Aggro system, customized light features and day/night cycles, monsters able to open doors, go up/down stairs, and so on available for all upcoming servers.

We aren't just developing tibia servers anymore, people are designing brand new mechanics and adding them into the game to create something new and exciting.

You got a point there. Thats a good way to think about it.

Back