• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux ftp speed?

TKO

Syphero Owner!
Reaction score
Hey how can i increase ftp speed both upload and download?
ubuntu 10.04

Last edited:
Well there are various things that depends TKO, your bandwith max speed, cable types, what your ftp server is supporting. That all depends on how fast you can go. Most likely the case would be your Bandwidth so contact your internet provider and see what the speed is and then check a speedtest on it and see if they are about the same.

lol you think im stupid?:p i have 100/100 connection! And mostly i guess there is a setting that set the speed to somting default...

As far as I know, the internet speed isn't related nor controlled by the OS, it all depends on your actual connection and your Network Card(but most cards support at least up to 1Gbps, so you probably have nothing to worry about there)

If your connection is slow, maybe your server is suffering from Shared Bandwidth, which in that case you should contact the hoster to see if he can solve the problem

that aint the problem! There is a download speed for 30 kb and that is really low... wich is kinda strange if you ask me... And i dont know any about linux but isnt it possibel to change some settings for the ftp?

Im a ITer as proffesion. And I can tell you. the connection depends on the follow things:

1. Internet speed
2. You can have 100MB/s but providers always short the connection speed, you can do a speedtest on speedtest.net
3. Depends on your network card, every modern network card supports at least 100 MB/s
4. it is depending on your FTP server (probberly there should be some options whitch says how much internetpackages (speed) a user is allow to use for the FTP connection, this option is normal because if alot of people got a FTP connection to your server and they all got the possibility to use 10MB for the FTP connection, you don't have any speed anymore with 10 connections.
5. Firewall, if the signal have to go true alot of firewalls it will slowdown the speed. Because the signal have to be checked by a few firewalls. Of course this takes time
6. The Upload/Download speed from the guy who is connecting to your server.

EDIT: it also depends on the distance, if someone connect to a FTP server in Norway and you are from russia the signal have to be travel around a lot of differend providers and firewalls
Think thats it.

well what files do i need to change then to get bether connection for users?
That was what i was asking:)

Moved to computer board (forgot to do it before)

I'm afraid I'm not the best person to give advices about linux, so I can't help :(

Stop using FTP. It's an antiquated protocol and it needs to die.

Transfer files over SSH instead.

Back