• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux or Windows

Sasir

PrOGaMeR
Reaction score
What do you think which system is better to host an OT with real tibia map, Is it linux or windows???

I heard that many ots with real tbiia map are standing on dedicated server based on Linux but thats hard to configure and the server wont LAGG when many ppls will play on it, Is it true?

How diffrent is windows?
Will there be more laggs if the OT is gonna be hosted on Windows?

I dont think that the server will Laggy LOL
My friend mieted a dedicated server with 2 gm ram etc, his map weights about 35 MB and he can easy hold 200 players with (small laggs)

But Hallo? 200 players o.0, Look at Eloth Server or Stromserver , noone have there laggs so what are u talking about

So heres my last question , If i install wine on Linux and run OT on it then OT will work faster then on normall windows ye?

Do you want to visit the forums everyday just to solve your linux problems or do you want to host your server on windows? Linux might be better but it will probably be a pain in the a**. Good luck.

If you're going to host a server you don't need sound or graphics driver, so Linux shouldn't be hard to use server hosting.

Linux is nice for hosting but its very hard with command line etc :(

I can agree with you that it's not easy the first minute, but is anything easy the first time? Was Windows really that easy the FIRST time you used it? You've just used Windows for so long that you've been used to it, give Linux a week and I'm sure you'll take back your words about the commandline being hard to use.

But not easier than the windows "gui" (lol!), at least for the majority ^_^

I find it easier to use aptitude than Windows Update or w/e it's called today. Does the Windows Update even check updates for all packages you have installed? Can you install other software than Microsofts with it and keep them up to date? I'm sure you have to waste atleast 15 minutes of your life everytime you want to make sure all software and drivers on your computers are up to date while I only have to run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (&& apt-get dist-upgrade if I want to see if there's major/kernel updates too) which takes a few seconds if there isn't any new update, and up to a few minutes if there is updates and at the same time download, unpack, install and configure the packages.

You can also install "WINE" on linux and then you can run .exe files :D

Applications work alot better in Native Linux, but of course if there isn't a version for Linux, WINE will be a good choice.

So thats so simpy??? Just install wine on it and run the ot or what?

I do not recommend using WINE to run a server, OpenTibia servers can be compiled and executed in Native Linux without any kind of source modification (unless it's a custom distribution which has ruined the crossplatform ability, but that should be possible to fix with some basic C++ experience.).

Well I dont understand thse professional words like Native Linux etc since ig ot no 0 knowlege in this part :p

It would be nice i f you Talaturen could explain me a little more how to host an ot on dedciated server and how can i Controll it... ( How can i start/close server or change map for simple)

it would be nice if anyone create a tutorial how to set up a linux root and manage the server +
runing the server that can help me allot becous i want to start hosting in linux now ;>:):D

Ye agree, How to setup and how to manage it ( with which programm etc)

It would really help us and many other peoples, we could start to make ots with less lagg :D