• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Looking for cheap dedicated servers

Funny, I'm not with OVH but much cheaper hosts. I have had multiple DDoS attacks on 2 of those servers so far (both with different hosts) and the only way I noticed was their notification system sending me a message that they suspect an attack going on and asking me to report why this may be the case. I do have an application, with a few thousand people using it, running on my server, so yes I do notice any downtime especially since I have a monitoring system running.

It might be true that OVH has a great setup to prevent attacks. But just because they do, does not mean that cheaper options do not.
So no, OVH is not the only option and OVH is certainly not "the best" because of one single feature. People are way too obsessed with DDoS.

It's possible the attack was not large enough for you to notice. It's impossible to tell with one anecdotal response. When it comes to game hosting there's only one real choice, OVH.

Everyone is obsessed with DDoS attacks, because it's the one thing out of server owners control, and it's infuriating. One pissed off team or other server owners will consistently take your server offline for their own gains. DDoS protection is especially needed for launch, as that's when the competition hits. Teams will hit you if they are losing wars. Random people will try to blackmail you to give them stuff or they'll keep taking you offline.

It's not just whether an attack happens, it's how big of an attack it is. OVH is the only host that's proven to be nearly impossible to take down. Aside from exploits getting around their protection (long patched) or actors in their own networks attacking from within (no longer a threat due to detection methods put it place the last few years).

Bottom line, if you're hosting a long time game server, DDoS protection is the most important factor. (and uptime)
There's a reason why they're the most popular on my server list, they're reliable.

It's possible the attack was not large enough for you to notice. It's impossible to tell with one anecdotal response. When it comes to game hosting there's only one real choice, OVH.

Everyone is obsessed with DDoS attacks, because it's the one thing out of server owners control, and it's infuriating. One pissed off team or other server owners will consistently take your server offline for their own gains. DDoS protection is especially needed for launch, as that's when the competition hits. Teams will hit you if they are losing wars. Random people will try to blackmail you to give them stuff or they'll keep taking you offline.

It's not just whether an attack happens, it's how big of an attack it is. OVH is the only host that's proven to be nearly impossible to take down. Aside from exploits getting around their protection (long patched) or actors in their own networks attacking from within (no longer a threat due to detection methods put it place the last few years).

Bottom line, if you're hosting a long time game server, DDoS protection is the most important factor. (and uptime)
There's a reason why they're the most popular on my server list, they're reliable.
Everything you say is true. They are reliable. It is important to protect your server. And DDoS attacks are a problem.
But DDoS attacks are not as much a problem anymore as they were 10 years ago.
The protection has improved by a lot and every host does protect his servers. Yes, you are right, some better, some worse. But they all do.
There might be many cheap hosts out there that simply take down your server for the period of the attack, but a reliable one does not and OVH is not the only there.
It is great that they have always proven reliable, but you need to go with the time. Attacks change and protection changes. So why not find an alternative? Maybe it might take a few tries, but it is worth it.

And yeah you are right, I cannot know how powerful the attacks on my servers really were. But since it is also a gaming application and has lots more users than any OT, I would not simply expect it to be a cheap home attack. That would be a joke anyways :p

My point is that OVH surely is a good solution. Yes, their cheap options might be good enough for a starting OT. But for example, I need a much stronger server and then their prices are not acceptable anymore. So why not find an alternative?

first of all thanks for all your answers, i learned a lot from it!! at the moment i know that cloudflare free service is a common choice to avoid ddos attacks without spending money, how good is it? it is possible to use for otservers? as i know cloudflare doesn't support ports 7171 / 7172 but like @Merrok say
You cannot know how many players you will have opening a new OT.

to start learning, free resources should be used!! testing with players is a very important phase of learning, hear about free hostings offered by Google, opportunities that we are not taking advantage of because of misinformation o_O
i used ovh in the past and when i wanted to leave, they harassed me for YEARS about paying for a server i canceled.

this things really happen !! ive never used OVH but i had experience with other hosting that made trouble to cancel service. after some mails it was canceled but this really is a reason to get angry -.-

Last edited:
I’ve tried digitalocean before, they’re not bad, you just have to pick what you need

after a few months since my last comment in April I spent between different hostings... I am currently with ovh vps cloud ram, totally recommended 😁

Back