• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Making a new ot, need some feedback on my mapping!

jalllee

Reaction score
Hello guys! I will upload pictures of my map that I am making for my Ot. Please write what you think I need to improve, but also what you like!

Here comes the first one!
ATgpNhy.jpg

Last edited:
Hello guys! I will upload pictures of my map that I am making for my Ot. Please write what you think I need to improve, but also what you like!

ATgpNhy.jpg
Not bad, not a fan of how close those sewers are though.

ATgpNhy.jpg

It looks alright, but the nature looks pretty hectic. The colourful trees (red n yellow ones) and the poplars are more used in towns and cities, not in the nature. Also, I fucking hate those big ass grass tufts and prefer the smaller less visible ones and use more of them instead.

Last but not least: try to keep it realistic. The balista, the footprints and the dead cyclops are kinda random and not a usual sight - especially in this enviroment.

Gl:)

Here comes an update! The road top left corner is connected with the last photo! :D

S7biEVK.png

Last edited:
@Rik123 Thanks man, I appreciate your feedback! I will take your thought in consideration and will be moving around with it to get the look decent.
Thumbs up!! ;)

Here is Another new photo!
IaVIrXy.jpg

Last edited:
Hey!

It looks like you have got the basics down, both layout-wise as well as where objects should go and where they should not. @Rik123 already shone some light on the way you map nature, something that I feel could be improved upon. Nature tends to look more natural if you stick to no more than a few different tree types for each given environment. Naturally, this differs from area to area but as a general rule of thumb I'd recommend not using more than 4 different trees at one given place.
Moreover, the interior of your buildings leave me feeling a tad claustrophobic. The separate rooms are minuscule! With buildings with an inside area of ~5x5, you are often better off skipping the interior walls altogether.

This is a solid start, though! I'd like to see more :)

Moreover, the interior of your buildings leave me feeling a tad claustrophobic. The separate rooms are minuscule! With buildings with an inside area of ~5x5, you are often better off skipping the interior walls altogether.
I like the tight space, looks cozy.

I would agree with whitevo, if i were you I wouldn't change the house layout.

1. I prefer the "mud boarder" for the grass, looks more alive and RPGish.
2. Change the ground to something else, it looks like you are trying to do a small city so maybe some dirt and then some stones etc on it to make it look abit "used".
3. Redo the bridge, do something with pure wood or something like that.

Thanks guys! I have already done some changes from what you all have notice that it may need a change. I will upload more pictures in about two hours of the outcome.

PS: The houses has another floor that has more space, that was part of the plan.

Thumbs up and thanks alot guys for the great feedback! @WibbenZ @kiahat @whitevo @kokokoko

Last edited:
I personally want to find a house that has a ladder to get to the second floor in real life now.
"Come on over for dinner. Just walk in, turn right, down the hallway, through the last door on the left and up the ladder. See you soon Grandparents."

One thing I see mappers do is to "over decorate" with flowers/trash/stones and that tend to become quite messy, but the roads are clear and I like this mapping!

Thanks for that feedback @Anti I will check the over decoration later.

@Xikini I didnt ment it like that, but i love your story man! ;)

Here is the update from the feedback i have got.

OrDovjT.jpg

Your nature is a mess. It's usually better to stick to a theme, e.g white flowers and lush green trees. People already stated some good tips for nature such as restricting to 3-4 trees.
Try to not spam flowers around. They add a lot to nature but when you have a big diversity of flowers and a big amount of flowers, it becomes very messy. Your tree and bush placement is great, though.

About the roofs: if you insist on keeping those few flat roofs, use the brown flat floor. If you insist on keeping the red roofs, use the leaned sprites.

You've done a good job so far, keep it up!

Hello! Thanks @RokojoM for your tips. I have tried to redo the nature, and also the roofs. Here is the newest update.

wQl1dgb.jpg

Please comment what you think of it! :)

Would've used the brown roof instead (the farm style roof). As this is sort of a farm part of a village or it actually is a farm village.

PS: it does me good to see the four trees in the northwest.

Back