• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Making a new ot, need some feedback on my mapping!

Oh, @Rik123 you mean this kind of roofs?

And i actually had those trees there as a guide of which i would use:) So thanks for that man! :D

kfTtds1.jpg

I personally want to find a house that has a ladder to get to the second floor in real life now.
"Come on over for dinner. Just walk in, turn right, down the hallway, through the last door on the left and up the ladder. See you soon Grandparents."
loft.jpg

In our modern ways of living a ladder has gotten a usage not only as an outdoor help to paint houses, but also to reach certain upstairs areas.

In the past some people who didn't have the money to pay a carpenter to make them a fancy stair also put in a kind of ladder, it's common to find ladders in older buildings, at least where I'm from.
If you think about it, the stair is a kind of ladder as well, though less sloped and less height between the steps.

So there is no realism in ladders to the second floor here. :rolleyes:

@topic: your latest images does look like an improvement, I also like the orange-brown roof better than the dark brown one. The only thing I can think of improving is your bushes, you've placed them mostly in pairs, you could "bunch them up more". It's not a major thing, just a preference.
an example: the left one is how I'd place them, the right one is my impression of your placement. Yours feels more scattered. Again, only a preference and my suggestion, if you like the way you did them better, keep them. ;)
KH5aPA5.png

loft.jpg

In our modern ways of living a ladder has gotten a usage not only as an outdoor help to paint houses, but also to reach certain upstairs areas.

In the past some people who didn't have the money to pay a carpenter to make them a fancy stair also put in a kind of ladder, it's common to find ladders in older buildings, at least where I'm from.
If you think about it, the stair is a kind of ladder as well, though less sloped and less height between the steps.

So there is no realism in ladders to the second floor here. :rolleyes:

@topic: your latest images does look like an improvement, I also like the orange-brown roof better than the dark brown one. The only thing I can think of improving is your bushes, you've placed them mostly in pairs, you could "bunch them up more". It's not a major thing, just a preference.
an example: the left one is how I'd place them, the right one is my impression of your placement. Yours feels more scattered. Again, only a preference and my suggestion, if you like the way you did them better, keep them. ;)
KH5aPA5.png
I agree with both parts of this post.
However the ladder post was simply for laughs. :p
We all know space was limited in earlier times, and my parents old house when I was 5, had (probably still has) a carpeted ladder to the second floor, where me and my sister slept. :D

If I can chime in, that guy said he liked the thicker grass border - which is good that you used it but.. only use it in SOME parts. The same border all around kinda looks whack. Sub in some other dirt/different borders at random spots. All in all, on point. Good stuff. Recently started a new map myself

If I can chime in, that guy said he liked the thicker grass border - which is good that you used it but.. only use it in SOME parts. The same border all around kinda looks whack. Sub in some other dirt/different borders at random spots. All in all, on point. Good stuff. Recently started a new map myself

What I ment was that when you use dirt + grass you should use the dirt boarder, otherwise it looks wierd.
Like how often do you see a dirt road with no dirt on the side walk? xD

What I ment was that when you use dirt + grass you should use the dirt boarder, otherwise it looks wierd.
Like how often do you see a dirt road with no dirt on the side walk? xD

Yeah I understand what you mean. But, in most cases, when there's dirt/grass, there's also different sized grass/heaps of dirt. What I mean is, maybe for a few parts of the sidewalk, you leave the thick border - then a bit down you do like 2-3 SQM of regular, then back to thick. The way I did it in my map looks good, just trying to throw an idea at yall ^_^

Yeah I understand what you mean. But, in most cases, when there's dirt/grass, there's also different sized grass/heaps of dirt. What I mean is, maybe for a few parts of the sidewalk, you leave the thick border - then a bit down you do like 2-3 SQM of regular, then back to thick. The way I did it in my map looks good, just trying to throw an idea at yall ^_^

You think you can upload a pic of it? :p

Sec

Sorry for multiple posts, forgot how to upload for a second haha. This, for exmaple : Red lines = the thicker grass border, blue = the thinner one. You can see here how they look a bit different and add variety to your grasses. At this moment, on dirt, it doens't seem to be that different but in other instances, you'll see the difference for most things.

Edit: Aff, forgot to move those rocks back after screenshot. Not supposed to be there ^^
otland.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The moment when people are actually taking the effort to take screenshots to explain you something, it mostly means you can become a good mapper :p

Many maps I dislike from the begging, either they do too much, or too little. Yours however, is simple but nice.

My only criticism is those drains in the dirt. Doesn't really make sense to me.

The best tip I can give is just to keep mapping, and checking threads on the forums for inspiration. Becoming a good mapper takes time and practice. Stuff like people have suggested is basically just preferences. Personally I highly dislike mixing borders, but others love it. So it's okay to have your own taste as well.

The best tip I can give is just to keep mapping, and checking threads on the forums for inspiration. Becoming a good mapper takes time and practice. Stuff like people have suggested is basically just preferences. Personally I highly dislike mixing borders, but others love it. So it's okay to have your own taste as well.

so why aren't you a good mapper then? :*

Back
Top Bottom