• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Map instances. Any thoughts?

Oddie

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I'll start working on a way to create sandboxed/instanced map regions. As this is a major feature, have anybody tried this in the past and could share their experience? Or even would like to comment and theorycraft the optimal way to do it?

Post here your thoughts, any input would be welcome.

I don't think I've seen it on OT before. While this would be an evolution for OT, I still like sharing spaces with unwelcome other players for the rpg feeling it gives.

I've experienced it before, for example when an oldschool OT starts you have over 100 people on Rookgaard and the experience is low you should actually have a second and a third Rookgaard instance (just copy the map including all layers and put it next to each other, a teleport, npc or a custom button on your OTClient with a function coded in Lua to just teleport you to the other instance) so you can actually get some rats to bash. It's pretty neat but it would destroy the RPG in the case you'd have for example 2 mainlands.

Kindest Regards,
Okke.

I've experienced it before, for example when an oldschool OT starts you have over 100 people on Rookgaard and the experience is low you should actually have a second and a third Rookgaard instance (just copy the map including all layers and put it next to each other, a teleport, npc or a custom button on your OTClient with a function coded in Lua to just teleport you to the other instance) so you can actually get some rats to bash. It's pretty neat but it would destroy the RPG in the case you'd have for example 2 mainlands.

Kindest Regards,
Okke.
If you can change instances wherever you want, it wont destroy rpg.

If you can change instances wherever you want, it wont destroy rpg.

It does when it involves questing with more players, it could also be a huge ram issue if you're running a big map e.g. Realmap.

The optimal way to use such feature would be for small-and-specific areas such as dungeons and quests. Anihilator and Pits of Inferno are good examples, they can only work in an open world map because people won't do them 24/7 and it's once per character with high level requirement. If you're creating a custom server, it might come in handy if you intend to increase PVE difficulty with dungeons. You can take Svarground's arenas for example: when there is someone running it, nobody else will be able to, if the game design for your server has something similar as one of the main features it would create a huge queue of players trying to get into the arena.

Also, being able to instance maps can improve housing system so it won't be limited to the houses available in the open world. Housing features and customization could become more complex and more personal.

The optimal way to use such feature would be for small-and-specific areas such as dungeons and quests. Anihilator and Pits of Inferno are good examples, they can only work in an open world map because people won't do them 24/7 and it's once per character with high level requirement. If you're creating a custom server, it might come in handy if you intend to increase PVE difficulty with dungeons. You can take Svarground's arenas for example: when there is someone running it, nobody else will be able to, if the game design for your server has something similar as one of the main features it would create a huge queue of players trying to get into the arena.

Also, being able to instance maps can improve housing system so it won't be limited to the houses available in the open world. Housing features and customization could become more complex and more personal.

I agree with quests such as Anihi and Svarground arena, but not with PoI for instance. Big dungeons such as pits of inferno should create conflicts between players wanting to use them, it's part of what makes a mmorpg such as tibia interesting.

And I never liked instanced housing in any game... I see no point in making a house if most people won't bother seeing. Housing is mostly about wanting to show off your decoration and/or rare items to everyone. Houses close to depot or places that gather a lot of people are always so expensive because of that.

I've tinkered with the idea for a long time.

For my vision of a better Tibia, the game needs

· Roles (dps-heal-tank)
· An attribute for aggro for every skill and an aggro system for monsters.
· Instanced PvE aka dungeons/raid dungeons

Tibia is PvP focused game where PvE (leveling most of the time) is just an inconvenience you have to go through to get stronger in PvP. Why not make PvE better/enjoyable?

With instanced maps it would be possible to add time progression to maps aswell, where one player can be in an early stage of a map and as it progress in the game, the map can grow/change. Story questing would be easier/more enjoyable with instanced maps for just one player with its own story (like FF14)

There is a dynamic map generator in this datapack:
[10.40] Mystera 5(aka EvoRPG) final release

I'm starting to use components of it on my project, its a really cool way of implementing true re-playability.
Alternatively if you just want copies or faction style gameplay, you just have copies of the map and use logon event scripts to have people spawn on different instances/positions or whatever.

Dont like it too much. As said, players are supposed to compete for caves/exp/gold..

Its a really useful feature to be able to have unique instances to warmode arenas, dungeons and events. I think the main map should be shared by all players and only few places would use the instances.

Perhaps there should be a team-pvp event to decide who uses the instances? Hmm.. reminds me of something

I think that only certain things should be instanced such as dungeons/consumable items that tp you to an instanced spawn.

Dont like it too much. As said, players are supposed to compete for caves/exp/gold..

I don't think that is necessarily written in stone. One reason that wars in more serious servers dies down is precisely that – people take every aspect of the server too seriously. In order to win a war it is more efficient to use tactics like sneaks and masslogs. It's not very fun to wait for hours in TeamSpeak though, and maybe separating pvp and pve would fix this issue.

I don't think that is necessarily written in stone. One reason that wars in more serious servers dies down is precisely that – people take every aspect of the server too seriously. In order to win a war it is more efficient to use tactics like sneaks and masslogs. It's not very fun to wait for hours in TeamSpeak though, and maybe separating pvp and pve would fix this issue.

Yeap, true. In Tibia this competition have mixed with PVP or "War" more precisely and gotten out of control. But how would real wars work out if everyone is able to level and gain gold safely?

Yeap, true. In Tibia this competition have mixed with PVP or "War" more precisely and gotten out of control. But how would real wars work out if everyone is able to level and gain gold safely?

Not sure. Either you stay with the old concept and its inherent flaws because you think it's good enough; or you try something new.

Back