• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Messing with RME files, probably someone answered this already.

elektrus

Uninvited Guest
Reaction score
There was that one thing that always bugged me and I never questioned it, but... how does RME work?

As far as I know if there is no entry in items.xml RME has no idea that some item exists. Is there a chance that walls or other items are missing?
That would explain what extensions (F2) are. Missing items added by community? Or are extensions used when people are making new items for server?
Why does RME need Tibia's data files? (I would guess to show actual item graphics?) What is in items.otb? Is it the items.otb TFS uses?

I want to make sure that RME has every single one item in it and then group them my own way, probably by Tibia version.
I see that I can edit and even add new tilesets but palette names seem to be fixed? (Terrain, Doodad, Item, House, etc.) I could even compile it myself but unless it can be changed with just editing the names in .cpp file in Visual Studio I'm not going for it.

Also, why does RME's official website show a few years old 2.2 version while there are new versions on Github?

@zbizu I remember you released some good stuff so maybe you will be able to answer these questions. Maybe @Remere can help me too :D

The reason for selecting the client is to get the tibia.spr and tibia.dat. This is for the pictures and what kind of item it is. It also uses items.otb for itemids and itemtype and items.xml for the item names and some attributes.
Extensions is not to add more items, but to place certain items together so it's more easy to find, like with doodad, terrain and the item palette. The items that are added there can also be found in RAW.
http://otland.net/threads/how-to-add-new-palettes-to-rme.209642/

Remere made Remere's Map Editor open source so now other people can work on it aswell.
http://otland.net/threads/10-50-remeres-map-editor.211040/

I'm testing the one you linked :p

So, I stripped down the 1035 folder.
items.otb is a must have. I think this is where it loads item list from.
creatures.xml can be empty but needs to exist.
items.xml gives names to items.
materials.xml let's you create tilesets.

So answering my first question, assuming that items.otb is good every item will be in RME and if it's not mentoined in materials.xml it will show up in Raw->Others.

Yeah that's what I figured out with palettes, but it's just adding new tileset.
See attachment, you can make the left one but right one is impossible.

Attachments

Clients.xml - stores first 4 bytes of spr and dat in reverse order to make sure they are correct for certain client. Do not mess with it unless you know what are you doing.

Tibia.dat - basic items, effects and looktypes data(such as light, walkable, pickupable, blocking)

Tibia.spr - stores graphics for looktypes, effects, terrain and items.

Extensions are used to add new brushes, palettes and script things like auto-border for grounds and walls. They don't create new items.

Items.otb - stores items and their attributes for OT server(based on dat file). This file is used by RME to display all available items in RAW/others palette.

Items.xml - no needed by RME at all(it's only used to name items). It contains items name, weight, attributes and abilities.

Anything else?

Back