• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Middle-Earth

Xedrai

Asshawk!
Reaction score
Hello fellow OTLanders!

Some of you might remember me from back in the day. I started a project about LOTR and it kinda died off as I lost interest in OT and I felt that the project got a bit overwhelming.

A couple of weeks ago I felt like picking it up again, and I opened the map editor and started mapping away.
This time I'm not using 100% custom sprites, but some custom stuff sneaks in here and there! ;)

My plan right now is to make a portion of the map one at the time, with this in mind it didn't feel so overwhelming to do, and that way all the areas get finished before I start on the next one.

Enough talking, here are some screenshots from the map!

The market in Hobbiton.
WTL5otX.png

"I would really need to sharpen my blade!"
v5c0H6c.png

The great guild hall in the Shire.
ae2IoDd.png

On my way to the barrow-downs.
228lFJL.png

"Looks like the dead is rising."
EWr3WSf.png

An ancient tomb.
X08qlxP.png

Troubled souls wandering about.
NnlAgAQ.png

An old ruin in the marshes of Breeland.
P7lruUS.png

"Ugh! I hate slime!"
ZfsRd3C.png

As the dark fell upon the earth, I ventured towards Bree.
Bdu25ql.png

"Ah! The city of Bree!"
r1Pmjsq.png

The buildings felt like they were leaning in on the streets.
lYbF2PS.png

"I wouldn't mind getting some more coin in my pocket."
f9xSCfQ.png

When the morning came, I set of east. Through mountains...
RSB8Jir.png

... over rivers...
aRzQxAK.png

... into dead ends...
5HKIPr1.png

... when I finally arrived at Rivendell.
lJtYbRC.png

My visit was shortlived as I heard about the abandoned mines under the Misty Mountains. After a few days of searching I found them.
nFCK5xI.png

"Looks like they left in a hurry."
H0ROk6Y.png

And down in the depths of the earth, at the roots of the mountains, even the most brave adventurers won't go forth.
wv3iyiy.png

I hope you enjoyed the pictures, there are more to come in the following future!

/Xedrai

Some of the pictures are really classic, makes me feel like this is being done for an older version of tibia that didn't have as much sprites. (which is not a bad thing)
Some of them are pretty great and depict exactly the place as it was shown in the movie, such as the bridge of Khazad-dum.

The borders in the middle of this picture look bad to me. I suppose it was your intention to make them look like that, but it looks really weird:

H0ROk6Y.png

Another two things I would touch on are the Hobbiton village and the Rivendell picture.
That doesn't look like hobbiton, most of the houses there are purely burrows and everything is grassy with just a dash of dirt roads. This picture is somewhat with the idea, but the others don't seem to be:

ae2IoDd.png

And the entrance of rivendell could have been done much much better. It's such a symbolic place and a great opportunity to create something crafty so don't miss it.

Though, I feel you.. If you don't feel like creating every detail as precise as possible because that takes much more time and the project may feel overwhelming again if you do so, then don't. There's always the option to remake it later when the majority of the map is done ^-^

Thanks for the feedback!
I feel kinda stupid now that I didn't show more of Hobbiton and Rivendell, when I get home I'll post some more pictures of the towns. Because Hobbion is mostly burrows, just the towncenter is ordinary houses.

And those borders, I kinda went for the broken tile effect. :)

Also, if I may suggest - Make an even huger chasm below the bridge of Khazad-dum, this looks too near to the bridge. In the book/movie, the chasm was huge. :p

Oh I forgot to mention, that's not the bridge of Khazad-dum, it's for something else ;)

Yeah I made it in a similar theme, the real bridgie will look alot like it but with complete darkness underneath!

First of all I want to address some things!

Unfortunately due to the overall size of the map, the cities can't be too big, because then the distance between all places gets too small and if I would've made the map any bigger I would rather just kill myself (;D). This problem is quite irritating because some things feel to close together on the map but I can't really move them around because then they become closer to other parts etc.

And because of this problem I can't make that many houses inside the cities. And lets face it, I don't think I'll get 100+ players when I'm up and running and I don't think all players will buy houses. One solution I came up with was making smaller societies around the map with a couple of houses and some farms etc. where players could buy houses if they want to. But for now it's around 15 buyable houses in the cities.

And this time around I am using the books and movies as source material, but that doesn't mean that I'm trying to replicate them 100%. I take inspiration from the movies and books and make my own interpretation. After all I'm making an OT map so some things must be adjusted to fit with the game.

I'm still open for criticism and I listen to all suggestions, so everything you guys say is taken into account! :)

Hobbiton.

JMRNbwq.png

The feeling I wanted to create out of this was "friendly, home, calm" so I made the streets pretty wide and everything is easy to find. All the shops are along two streets, the depot is just outside the temple so players will find it easily.

I think this is the third time in total I've remade Hobbiton, and this version is the one I'm most satisfied with. Once I started with one house all the pieces fell into place. For the vegetation I chose alot of leaftrees instead of spruces and firtrees, and there are more bushes than there are small fir trees.

There are currently 13 buyable houses in Hobbiton, but there are 3 more houses just south of the guildhall in the lower right of the minimap.

aPZc6Qg.png

gnuiHgG.png

EYHdbtJ.png

6LLdDW3.png

tu1s9s8.png

Rivendell.

aUTbQf7.png

With Rivendell I also wanted to get the feeling "calm" and "friendly", so I made the layout quite simple too. Temple and depot is close to eachother and the shops are placed in one area (with the exception of the furniture shop).
The city is divided on 4 layers, with the house of Elrond on the fourth layer and at the top of the city.

It was rather difficult to build Rivendell again, because I wanted the waterfalls to feel natural and not cramped together like they were in my previous version. The vegetation I chose for Rivendell is mostly fir trees, and I based it of an image I found online (http://ludoiochem.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/rivendell.jpg) and I tried my best to capture it in Tibias graphics.

There are currently 10 buyable houses in Rivendell, I tried adding more but then everything felt cramped together so I thought I'd add houses outside of the city instead.

qhYO0e5.png

jFCrkKJ.png

wQOQdBG.png

NjQ2jHf.png

Wow this post got alot longer than I expected....​

Rivendell is definitely simple, but yet so nice looking. I'd definitely get a house D:

It was a pain to make Rivendell.. xD
Although I really like the outcome.

Now that you've seen more of Hobbiton do you guys still feel like it could be better, and if so what should be improved? :)

LOL?!?! Xedrai is back?!? man i followed everything about this map years ago on otfans, looks great!

rivendell looks nice, however i feel like the buildings are too blocky + the streets are too straight and organized .. i'd always imagined rivendell as very natural and flowing with the surrounding nature, with a lot of arches n open balconies xD

Last edited:
Back