• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

More Ram = Slower server save?

El bananero

Reaction score
Hello, I have a b ig problem that is annoying me a lot, I'm using TFS 0.3.4 PL2 with a map of 35~40MB.

I had a server AMD Opteron 146 with 2 GB of RAM

with this server the server save took about 10~20 seconds with 300~400 players online. Since it was slow i decided to order a new server with these specs:

Intel Core2Quad Yorkfield 2.83GHZ w/ 12Mb L2 Cache with 8 GB of RAM

And running the server with the same configuration and the same map everything same the server save now takes about 50~60 seconds with 300~400 players online.

So any idea why is going on? the Ram is supposed to make your server save faster, but in this case it's making it slower :/

Thanks

You had AMD, now you have Intel, that's your problem.
AMD has hyper transport technology - faster access to ram and disk, intel has one shared bandwidth for all devices... People don't understand why AMD is better despite the fact it has higher clock rate.

This is the top when i run the server.

top - 16:47:12 up 1 day, 7:51, 2 users, load average:0.62, 0.70, 0.70 Tasks: 102 total, 1 running, 101 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu(s): 0.4%us, 0.5%sy, 3.0%ni, 95.7%id, 0.0%wa, 0.1%hi, 0.3%si, 0.0%st Mem: 8179152k total, 4244704k used, 3934448k free, 141896k buffers Swap: 2104504k total, 0k used, 2104504k free, 1883260k cached

also the old server with a single core.. this one is a Quad Core with a clock speed of 2.83 GHZ and x4 More Ram, so server save should be way faster, or a least a lil bit faster, but it's slower so what's going on ;S, what pc should i get to get fast server saves then?

You had AMD, now you have Intel, that's your problem.
AMD has hyper transport technology - faster access to ram and disk, intel has one shared bandwidth for all devices... People don't understand why AMD is better despite the fact it has higher clock rate.

It can't be that since AMD's Hyper Transport technology is far from _that_ much faster but indeed that Hyper Transport is pretty much faster than Intel's FSB.

BUmp~ Please help, this is getting my crazy the old server cost me about 100$ and this one cost me 230$, so why server save is slower :|

It might be that your database is clogged with unused data, or that you copied the mysql server incorrectly so that its badly configured.

And yes, the database affects server save speed. empty database = fast saves, database with lots of stuff in it = slow saves.

yeah i need, though the database is exactly the same on both pcs, also what config should i change to make server save fasters?

The main problem is that with the old pc server sarves took up to 30 seconds max but it was crashing due to lack of ram and with this pc it have not crashed again but save is taking up to 80 seconds and also it freezes after server save is done :|

Hmm... when you installed MySQL on the new host computer, how did you do it? Reinstall Xampp/mysql, or did you just make a zipfile of it all and copied to the new host computer?

dunno anything about dedicated but try to overclock your GPU or something

*facepalms* How on earth would overclocking his SERVER GRAPHICS CARD help with the problem he's having?

It's Linux Debian It didn't use Xampp or Lampp I used
apt-get install mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server-5.0

I see, well then it should be properly configured and such.
Did you just restore a backup of your server database, or did you use a clean database?

Also, does your server window display any errors during save?

Run this SQL command when your server is offline:
Code:
OPTIMIZE TABLE accounts, players, player_items,player_depotitems,player_items,player_skills,player_storage,tile_items

I have already run this command
OPTIMIZE TABLE accounts, players, player_items,player_depotitems,player_items,player_skills,player_storage,tile_items

I run it practically once in a day, the server uptime isn't higher than 18 hours because it always crash before that ;S and when the server saves it doesn't show any error on console , an error that i get very often on console is:

[Warning - Protocol::RSA_decrypt] Not Valid Packet size

but that doesn't affect server save, the worst time is that server save takes from 4 seconds up to 70 seconds with the same number of players, it can very very very fast but most of them time it's so dam slow. I'm getting headache because i'm trying to give a best server to my players.. but the server is getting worse even if i host it and a way better server..

Yup they do, when i start the server on old server ti was about 16 seconds on this server it takes 3 seconds, also if i save server a lot without players online it takes 0.08 seconds (0.3 seconds on old one) but the problem is that when there are too many players it takes from 5 seconds up to 60 seconds it varies a lot... can be very fast or very low and i don't know why

Download mysqltuner and tweak your SQL server until it is in prime condition. Then check what your save times are.

Back