• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

My First City

Jecht

Reaction score
The first city i tried mapping..
I'm not done yet it obviously needs more detail everywhere
I also know its flat.. was trying something simple for my first one
I also realise its lacking doors at the moment lol

I want some feedback on the building variety.. the shapes.. maybe suggestions on more wall types i could throw in?

I'm not really going for the imperial city look more the laid back medieval houses just kinda propped up look?..
more village than city i guess
fz876v.jpg

It looks more like a village than a city when you spread out the buildings so much, place them next to eachothers and make roads go straight though the city. You should also put some windows on the buildings and doors, lol.

Not only are they scattered around, the roads are messed up as well. Dirt roads form either by making them or people walking on the same path often. I don't think people like walking randomly between the houses but more often tend to stick to a straight path between where they start towards their destination. If you want a village look you also need to put the houses closer to each other, maybe have some houses a bit from the others. With a small town it's easier to defend from intruders and dangers when you have your neighbours close by.

Also, the houses looks quite randomly made, think more of either how you would build a house or how you would decorate it if you were owning that house in-game.

"It looks more like a village than a city "
I said city, but i really meant village

"dirt roads form either by making them or people walking on the same path often"
thats a pretty good way of thinking about it, i'l keep that in mind :)

"think more of either how you would build a house or how you would decorate it if you were owning that house in-game. "
Can you elaborate on what changes the houses should have?.. Should i try to keep a more consistant style through-out the entire village?, should they be less floors?, less jaggy?

Can you elaborate on what changes the houses should have?.. Should i try to keep a more consistant style through-out the entire village?, should they be less floors?, less jaggy?

You can have different styles if they fit together. I guess I mean it like less "jaggy", like why have someone built their house with indents at random locations, sometimes a boxy rectangle is the way to go, sometimes not. An example: That big house south of the lake looks alright, as do the similar one in the central western part; whilst the one directly left of the lake looks odd because of the indents of the house. Hope my description is understandable :p

Thanks for the suggestions guy's I really appreciate it.. I'l try to post a new layout tonight hopefully fixing some of the problems :)

Alright so still no details nor doors :(

I think some of them are still jaggy.. I think they seem a little better than the first approach, maybe not tho, thats why i'm posting it here :)
The grey building is just a placeholder for a future temple.. I am still just focused on normal house looks, and i needed a temple and such so that i could try to get a more realistic appraoch to the paths

Looking it at, the worst two i see are: the building above the placeholder it seems too jaggy and should probably get fixed
And the one down one from the top right hand corner
1220qj9.jpg

Last edited:
Back