• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

My first sprites. feedback and tips

Andréew

Humble mapper.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey, i recently looked in this forum and found the small art tab and wanted to try for my self.
this is made in a program called paint.net if there is any better program for this out there please let me know :)

"Ranger set"
4j7z9.png

30ligjb.png
2uoo3fs.png
1zy8pw4.png

2woc2t0.png
33jiaz8.png

140kjna.png

Works and reworks.

Bow.
33jiaz8.png

Sword
30cy7n9.png
23jzno.png

Club
fvuz2r.png

Spear.
30ligjb.png

Armor
2uoo3fs.png

Shield.
1zy8pw4.png

helmet.
4j7z9.png

Boots.
140kjna.png

Legs.
2woc2t0.png

Tools
2nizwo.png

if you got any nice tutorials (video would be nice ) or any small tip for me to get better i will be greatful.

since im learning and want to contribute to the community all of my sprites are free to use.
if you do use them, would be fun with a picture :)

Last edited:
Hmm, for first sprites, it looks nice man. When i try to sprite its looking like shit.
I like sword :)

You can make pixel art in any program, the important thing is to be adapted to it. Of course there are some with a few tools that advance the work, but not usefull if you don't understand about pixel art. It's like using auto Anti-Aliasing tools and don't know the AA purpose.

On the sprite, the first tip is use black outline. ^^

Thanks guys!

i did try to make an armor.. shading with green is like wtf? haha anyway i do think i got the shading better on brown/gray parts, this is with a black outline as a tip from @Leshrot :)
hope you like it :eek:
2expikx.png

Are you doing it from scratch or editing existing item?

Im doing them from scratch, doing outline, and then fill in with 3 colors (bright, midtones, and dark ) then i do the more "advanced" shadow thing which you can see im not that good at yet ;) haha

edited the sword, see main post.

Looks really nice man :)

i did notice that the brush tool is quite effective for shadowing if you have large areas to work with such as shields.
here is a shield when i used the brush tool instead of the pen as i have used in the other sprites.
1zy8pw4.png

A quick edit.
2mx1jyh.png

What you need to know is that you're doing a "Flat Noise" (Noise is the name of this texture effect) in your Armor shading. Then you need to add Volume with a Global Shading, and focus the light to the top-left.

wow that looks great @Leshrot ! i did rework the armor tho since i dident like that flat noise texture aswell, but your's still beats mine with miles to go man! you are good at this :eek:

i found it pretty hard to do an outline for boots so i stole the magma boots outline and remade them to fit with my other ranger armor.
140kjna.png

First of all, i have to say @Leshrot thanks for the motivation! been playing some RL and some other games so havent been focusing on spriting for 2 weeks or something but i will make some at times :)
its fun to know someone wants to see more of them :)

so here is a stone club i made real Quick here :)
fvuz2r.png

made a shovel this morning as well ;)
2nizwo.png
dont know if im happy with it tho :(

Edit: it would be pretty cool to animate the fabric/cloth to move like wind is hiting it! tho i dont know how to do that :/

Last edited:
Basically, you need a gif maker and do the frames of the animation.
1hwl51.gif

24dgdas.gif

Two animations of your hammer..

Here's the frames used
212sldt.png

You may use then in various orders,
The important thing is that the movements are close to the animation be smooth for the eyes.
If you use only the first and last frame, it would be very fast.

Here's a edit of the Shovel.
v63wg6.png

I can see great potential in you, don't give up because you are the next generation. ;)

Are we that old already? Haha xD Your items are great. Just keep doing it and you will be better!
New generations coming up year by year. Haha

I see few new people coming up, we have to value the next spriters and don't let the spriting die ;)

am newbie too :D
I did a remake of his shield.

OP2T436.png

6MbAemy.png

Excuse my English, I am Brazilian :p

Its really fun to see i inspire others aswell! Goodjob Jake1 :)
Being christmas and all i have not had the time to really be by the computer and all, lots going on in my personal Life! i will however get back to it someday :)

Back