• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

My First time trying to map

dabbo10

Reaction score
Okay so I know this might not be a masterpiece but its my first time so please tell me what you think and any kind of feedback would be cool to help me learn !

Attachments

My question to you is what do you think of your mapping. Why not go check some other threads in mapping showoff and compare them with your and see if you see the issues. You shouldn't need feedback for this piece to see what's wrong with it.

Okay so I know this might not be a masterpiece but its my first time so please tell me what you think and any kind of feedback would be cool to help me learn !

As beginner the maps are ok, but they're not very good in manners of gaming.

When you create a map, you have a few things you need to aim for.
1: The map needs to look natural, take a look at irl maps, how does islands look etc.
2: You need to make the natural look come out with a great aspect ingame, meaning: 100% natural might be too big, you need to compress it down to smaller areas.

For example, a normal irl city is biiig as fuck, if wouldn't work out in a game such as Tibia, you need to compress it down being from like 1,000 x 1,000 houses to 15 x 15 houses.

I would say just slow down, start with a really small area and spend some time on it. I know you probably have a big plan for your map but you can't rush it. Also lose the auto bordering tool as much as possible, the more you place every sprite individually the better your map will likely be. Stacking some sprites like borders can be fun and make for a more detailed map. Lastly, work on making your map editor easier to use, like expanding your pallette or new theme sets, I know there are a few map editor extension you can download. Good luck man!

As beginner the maps are ok, but they're not very good in manners of gaming.

When you create a map, you have a few things you need to aim for.
1: The map needs to look natural, take a look at irl maps, how does islands look etc.
2: You need to make the natural look come out with a great aspect ingame, meaning: 100% natural might be too big, you need to compress it down to smaller areas.

For example, a normal irl city is biiig as fuck, if wouldn't work out in a game such as Tibia, you need to compress it down being from like 1,000 x 1,000 houses to 15 x 15 houses.
I would say just slow down, start with a really small area and spend some time on it. I know you probably have a big plan for your map but you can't rush it. Also lose the auto bordering tool as much as possible, the more you place every sprite individually the better your map will likely be. Stacking some sprites like borders can be fun and make for a more detailed map. Lastly, work on making your map editor easier to use, like expanding your pallette or new theme sets, I know there are a few map editor extension you can download. Good luck man!

I really appreciate the feedback so far guys keep it coming.
I was watching a few youtube videos and I honestly never saw anyone doing the borders manually tho is that a thing?
Also the editor extensions you were talking about sounds intrestering, Do you got anything to recomend?

Back