• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Need help setting up a server! [Arch Linux | Newbie]

chevele

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a Tibia fan and a Computer Science student at College, so combining 2 passions, I want to get started in making completely functional servers (when I was like 10 I use to make servers for fun, but back then it was very easy).

I looked over the tutorials but everything seems messy, I am very "squared" (saying in spanish) so I need to go point by point to have everything done. If someone could point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it!
I want to do several things:
  1. I am doing everything on Arch Linux, so I need help setting everything up :)
  2. Basic Server (regular map, account manager, etc): In this point I struggled with phpmyAdmin which idk if is necessary but the tutorial I was following used it (I couldnt finish the tutorial as I was moving from one error to another)
  3. Map editing.
  4. Making new items and monsters.
  5. I would very much like to make a Custom Client at some point.
I am doing this just as a hobby but I want to take it serious. Explain everything as simple as you can, I know my way around a computer and I understand databases and stuff since I study it, but don't take anything for granted as it could help someone else too :)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post!

Any reason why Arch Linux? Most of the tutorials here are geared towards Debian/Ubuntu.
Anyway.

1. Fresh Arch Linux install
2. Install LAMP stack: How To Install Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP (LAMP) stack on Arch Linux | DigitalOcean (https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-apache-mysql-php-lamp-stack-on-arch-linux)
3. Compile TFS 1.3 from GitHub: otland/forgottenserver (https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/wiki/Compiling-on-Arch-Linux)
4. Put the compiled 'tfs' file in the same directory that contains the "data" directory and the 'config.lua.dist' file
5. Rename 'config.lua.dist' to config.lua
6. Confirm 'config.lua' is set up correctly (Specifically the database connection information)
7. Install ZnoteAAC (follow instructions on the Git carefully): Znote/ZnoteAAC (https://github.com/Znote/ZnoteAAC)
8. Create an account and character on the ZnoteAAC you now have running
9. Execute tfs
10. Login

Thank you! I will give it a go now!
Any reason why Arch Linux? Most of the tutorials here are geared towards Debian/Ubuntu.

I have Manjaro installed (Arch Linux), which I use for programming, and I had a lot of trouble dual booting with Ubuntu last time on my PC, so I wanted to do it on Manjaro, since I already have it installed :)

Anyways, thanks!

Any reason why Arch Linux?
Because then he can always get help from the best. :cool:

I have Manjaro installed (Arch Linux)

Feel free to tag me whenever you have a problem. I run Arch at home and on my personal servers, VZLinux on metal, CentOS for mission critical services, and Ubuntu/Debian for clients VMs.

Map editing.

We are kinda screwed for this at the moment, there is a critical bug in RME that ruins UX. Basically unless some particular small part of the UI has focus the view menu keyboard shortcuts don't work. The community dev support for non-Windows users of RME is trash. That's an objective assessment: I did a git checkout going back around 4 years ago and the bug was still there. I opened two PRs for other stuff, 21 days ago. One finally got merged today, and they completely ignored the other. No feedback, no "change this", just ignored it's existence.

I've resigned to fixing it myself, but I'm starting from scratch when it comes to wxWidgets, and also swamped with 4 other projects. Once I do fix it and merge in some dank features I found in the forks network, I'm probably gonna do a hard-fork as a base of operations to port the project to QT5.

Last edited:

I have Manjaro installed (Arch Linux), which I use for programming, and I had a lot of trouble dual booting with Ubuntu last time on my PC, so I wanted to do it on Manjaro, since I already have it installed :)

Anyways, thanks!

I've managed to get a server set up with nginx/mariadb/php-fpm/adminer using tfs 1.3 on Arch Linux. It's a lot faster and simpler. I currently have a database table issue with ZnoteAAC and I'm a little stuck on that of all things. I can install Arch Linux in 3 minutes from memory, but struggle to get a functioning database for ZnoteAAC... o_O
Post automatically merged:

Anyways, thanks!

I've managed to get a server set up with nginx/mariadb/php-fpm/adminer using tfs 1.3 on Arch Linux. It's a lot faster and simpler. I currently have a database table issue with ZnoteAAC and I'm a little stuck on that of all things. I can install Arch Linux in 3 minutes from memory, but struggle to get a functioning database for ZnoteAAC... o_O

Anyways, thanks!

Back